• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Simmons Gen III skis: Cutting out the sides for better side hilling

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I did this to the Gen IIs that I have on my MM only I went all the way to the back of the spindle. Did not really seem to help. I don't know on the Gen III but I don't think there is any helping the Gen II if you want to sidehill.

While I think Moto might have gone a little bit overboard in that comparison, I kind of agree with him, but you are right someone has to take some chances.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

picture.php

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
FOUND IT

Posted from RMK2112
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2689354#post2689354

Skis performed great!
Trail performance showed no difference at all, they still tracked true with no darting whatsoever.

Off trail is where the Simmons Gen III's shine and with the cut out....even better.

• Sled pulls over on its side a lot easier, especially on downhill turns.
  • I didn't notice any lack of flotation with the cut out...in 2 ft of powder they floated the front end effortlessly
  • Carving thru meadows of 2 ft powder was great.
  • Carving across a side hill is where the cut out really made itself noticeable.
  • It holds onto the hill a lot better...the cut out allows the outside edge to bite into the hill better. This was a very BIG noticeable difference with and then without the cut out. Before the cut out, it seemed to want to kick me out of the line I was on too easily whenever I crossed a trench or encountered bumps/humps in terrain. Change in direction while pulling a cross side hill was noticeably easier as well, a little more or less counter steer and the sled went right where I wanted it to go without any "washout" feeling.
Above testing was done in 2 ft of dry powder, over the course of the morning/afternoon, it warmed up and the snow got heavy. Other than snow conditions being different, the skis performed flawlessly in all conditions.
I think Val needs to sell them like this. With the cut, it's a perfect all around, any condition ski.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.
I am 100% glad I cut these skis. Performance has definitely been enhanced.

I used a jigsaw with a 18TPI blade, being careful to not dig into the edge of the outside skag rib (see pics in first post), then used a combo wood rasp to clean the edges (rounded rough/fine on on side of rasp, flat rough/fine on the other).

After I got straight, smooth, clean edges I used my torch along the edges to give it a smooth, finished look.

I also rode them in some extremely heavy "Cascade Concrete" snow (1.5 - 2 ft deep) ........same performance as above. :)

<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>Attached Thumbnails</legend>
</fieldset>

what the heck are those lil metal things on the inside rear of the skis there? type of snow scratchers??

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
While I think Moto might have gone a little bit overboard in that comparison, I kind of agree with him, but you are right someone has to take some chances.

Whaaaa? comparing a $30-100000 piano to a snowmobile ski is overboard? :face-icon-small-ton

Well.
Here is what I know for sure.
Last year when I installed these skis, my Nytro went from HARD to get over on her side, to VERY HARD to get over on her side.

While I liked these skis for other reasons, the added width did absolutely nothing for helping in getting her to lean over.

If no one is willing to experiment and take some risks trying things like this then none of us will ever know if it really works or not.

Worst possible case, I can always throw the stock OEM skis back on!:face-icon-small-hap

I'm just sayin...

It would have been best to wait until you rode with the Concept front end. I have ridden Ski-Donkey's with the same "cut" in their OEM skis - I dun likum in the back country... and they float for sh*t in the deep.

It's kind of a rule of thumb to do one major mod at a time. The only time I would ever want to ride a ski cut like that is in concrete snow... otherwise, straight from Simmons, with no mods, they are the best backcountry ski I have tried yet.

Oh, BTW... The worst possible case would definately be the OEM skis!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I saw no negative impact besides what bigbird said, they do look a little funny now. They don't float any different. Out of curiosity what did the two sleds with the concept on them have when you rode them last year?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Didn't pay any attention to the skis at all.
We could probably go back through the photos and find out though.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It's kind of a rule of thumb to do one major mod at a time. The only time I would ever want to ride a ski cut like that is in concrete snow... otherwise, straight from Simmons, with no mods, they are the best backcountry ski I have tried yet.
Ya, well, that one kind of went out the window this summer! :face-icon-small-hap

In for a Penny, in for a Pound at this point.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
If you need that kinda help to sidehill that machine you might wanna check out a riding school ! LOL You just wrecked a set of good skis !

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you need that kinda help to sidehill that machine you might wanna check out a riding school ! LOL You just wrecked a set of good skis !

Maybe.
But I am not convinced by any means.
Will know in a month's time if this was a brilliant idea or a horrible mistake.

Based on last year's riding, I suspect I won't be regretting this choice. :face-icon-small-coo

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com

Funny that you should say that!

Bret Rasmussen tells you how to do it in some of his seminars, and that it's one of his "secrets".

One of Chris Burandt's riding partners, George Marsh runs cut skis.

I could go on and on with names from all of the DVD's you have stored under your TV.

You still sure you wanna stand behind that statement? Or should I email you a sign up sheet for the next Ride Rasmussen Style school? :doh: :pound::pound: :pound:

Last edited:

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Funny that you should say that!

Bret Rasmussen tells you how to do it in some of his seminars, and that it's one of his "secrets".

One of Chris Burandt's riding partners, George Marsh runs cut skis.

I could go on and on with names from all of the DVD's you have stored under your TV.

You still sure you wanna stand behind that statement? Or should I email you a sign up sheet for the next Ride Rasmussen Style school? :doh: :pound::pound: :pound:

LOL cant wait for this reply....Chris I'd like to come watch u take your lesson:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

S

samsquatch47

Dec 2, 2007
St. Paul, AB
I also did not like how much harder my Nytro was to pull over with the Gen3's compared to the stock ski's. My friends Nytro is a lot easier with Gen1's as well. Chrsitopher I'm looking foreward to hearing how it works.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It's interesting to me to see how this little Mod is taking on such passionate feelings.

Like everything else, we will know soon enough.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
LOL cant wait for this reply....Chris I'd like to come watch u take your lesson:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Can't wait to see you cut yours this year !! LOL :boxing:

Premium Features