• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shop Air Compressor?

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Seems like it depends also what you want for a working psi ...... here is a quote I found that seems to explain single stage vs. 2-stage - if anyone cares! I found it interesting.

" Single stage, belt driven units are fine for hobby use. I have had a 5HP/10cfm @ 90psig single stage unit for over 15 years and it is still going strong on regular all-day Sunday use. 'Single stage' does not mean an inferior compressor compared to a 'two stage' unit. The difference is the pressure that you can get out of them. Remember back to your high school science class. When you compress a gas, the temperature rises. In air compression, 100psig is about all you want to do in a single stage because the temperature of the compressed air is at a point that lube oil, aluminum, and gasket materials start to break down. 90psig is fine for most shop uses. If you want higher pressure, you need to cool the air coming out of the first stage cylinder and then run it to the second stage for compression to ~150psig. Again, if you want higher pressure than 150psig, you need to cool that air and run it to a third stage and so on. In industrial compressors, it is not uncommon to have 4, 5, 6 or more stages of compression for really high pressure uses. All need inter-coolers between stages to keep the air temp from melting things to the ground. The first stage cylinder is the largest and determines the cfm rating of the compressor. Subsequent stages are smaller since as the pressure goes up, the volume of the gas is smaller. Multi cylinder single stage compressors will have cylinders all the same size and the piping will be in parallel. Two stage compressors will have a large primary cylinder, a noticeably smaller second stage cylinder and a tell-tale finned cooling tube connecting the two in series. For a given horse power rating a single stage compressor should put out incrementally more air @ 90psig than a two stage since the former uses all the cylinders for the rated volume and the latter only used the first stage cylinder for that and the second cylinder and related horsepower to increase pressure at the expense of less low-pressure volume.

For a quality machine, always look for number stages, not number of cylinders, horse-power, volume @ 90psig, and peak pressure rating. Tank rating is nice to know and the larger the better since a big tank stores more air and reduces the start/stop cycling of a given compressor. If they don't tell you those things, they have something to hide, period. Belt driver and oiled crankcase are features to get for long, trouble free life."

The dual stage gets you air built back up quicker. If you run a da sander alot you will want one for sure. The home depot/lowes 60 gal single stage will do most everything a do it yourselfer needs. Sure, there are times I wish I had more. I had a 30 gal craftsman for 15 years and its still running after all these years. Lots of shop time and even painted a few trucks with it. I now have a 60 gal lowes compressor. The extra volume is sweet and the bigger compressor is quicker and quieter.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
The oil-free units don't have a regular piston per-se. They have a synthetic (probably silicone-based) cup of sorts bolted to the top of the connecting rod. The cup is flexible enough to take up the clearance as it rocks back and forth with the conrod moving up and down. It works, but personally it's somewhat of an engineering abomination :)

red99powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2008
Persia, IA
My opinion. If you think a 30 gal one will get you by most of the time buy one. Then when you need more air volume I have 3 of the 60 gal propane bottles plumbed together that I plug it into to get more air. (I have a 30 gal and a 60 gal and they both have the same pump just different tank) Think about it.

S

snowyo

Dec 11, 2007
BC
My opinion. If you think a 30 gal one will get you by most of the time buy one. Then when you need more air volume I have 3 of the 60 gal propane bottles plumbed together that I plug it into to get more air. (I have a 30 gal and a 60 gal and they both have the same pump just different tank) Think about it.

there's nothing wrong with this style of setup as well,whatever you do like all have said get a 220v/dual stage pump(cast iron preferably).

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
Don't sweat the maintenance part of it. Our big compressors in the shop run every day and they get the oil and air filter changed yearly. Must be an alright schedule because both of them are right near 20 yrs old. The electric motors pack it in before the compressor part does.

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Just bought a 80 gallon , 2- stage , 5 hp , 14.6 scfm , Campnell Hausfield from Lowe's. Got it for $719 - so fairly reasonable ........... hopefully it's a good one. Could have got a Kobalt a little cheaper , but found out it was a reman.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
Ive got a 60 gallon 5 hp 14.7 cfm @175 psi ingersoll rand been the best compressor I have ever owned. runs everything from a hvlp paint gun to heavy Orbital Sander non stop. don't get hung up on the gallons of reserve, look for one that will put out more cfm than than you need for your tool. once the pressure falls in the tank it will kick on and run. If the cfm isn't enough it will never recover and run constantly. :beer;

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
I had a hard time finding a store that was savvy enough on them. The other Campnell was cheaper , it was still 80 gal , and it was 16.2 cfm @ 140 psi - Mine is 14.6 cfm @ 175 psi ........... so mine will go longer w/out kicking on maybe ? Couldn't get a clear answer on that. They did all agree that anything over 14.0 cfm is good. I did price out a Ingersoll but was almost double what I paid. Hopefully it's not a get what you pay for case ! 3 year warranty and 10,000 hour life exp on motor - so that is good

Ive got a 60 gallon 5 hp 14.7 cfm @175 psi ingersoll rand been the best compressor I have ever owned. runs everything from a hvlp paint gun to heavy Orbital Sander non stop. don't get hung up on the gallons of reserve, look for one that will put out more cfm than than you need for your tool. once the pressure falls in the tank it will kick on and run. If the cfm isn't enough it will never recover and run constantly. :beer;

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
That should work fine most tools are ran around 80 to 100 psi and range from 6 to 14 cfm. As far as it kicking on and running its relative to the pressure in the tank not volume. But with the rating you specified and the 3 year warranty. drain it weekly and keep up on the maintenance :beer;

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
I just bought one and wish I had bought the crafstman professional 25 gallon. its belt drive, very quite and you can buy one for $320 on sale.

Dont make a mistake and buy anything else, it is the best for the $.

as for larger capacity you can add a seperate 12 detacheable tank to use when you need portability, then its always charged and ready to go.

again if you can afford a true proffesional one get a quincey or speedair

spomey

Premium Features