• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home made alpha skid, first ride

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
May have to bend the tab a little straighter-up to get it to fit between the Hyfax's. What is the width between the upper rails we are looking for, I would assume the rails are .25 thick on the vertical surfaces? Mike

I thought about welding like previously mentioned, but not sure there will be any benefit. I also tried bending the tabs more, that works pretty good. Still not 100% sure what I’m going to do with the track clips. I spaced the rails with a 1.25” spacer, that gives .25” in between the high fax vertical edges and slices the rails pretty well between the rubber drive nubs on the track.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I thought about welding like previously mentioned, but not sure there will be any benefit. I also tried bending the tabs more, that works pretty good. Still not 100% sure what I’m going to do with the track clips. I spaced the rails with a 1.25” spacer, that gives .25” in between the high fax vertical edges and slices the rails pretty well between the rubber drive nubs on the track.

Why not just try one hyfax for a bit and see how it works? That close together it probally won't hurt much. Run a couple extra wheels on the side without a slide. In the summer racing asphault we just use extra bogies and no slides.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
What about using Camso 280 track as it already has the cutouts in center to start with. Enlarge and clip them. Just a thought. Have one sitting here and it looks similar to Alpha track pics.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What about using Camso 280 track as it already has the cutouts in center to start with. Enlarge and clip them. Just a thought. Have one sitting here and it looks similar to Alpha track pics.

Seems like a logical thing to do for the guys that already have that track. If you're swapping tracks though you might as well just get the new alpha track.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

If you were going to start with a new track the camsno 280 I think would be good. Depending how you did the skid, the center windows would need to be widened to about 2”.

79129969-9AFC-4706-AE14-68D6C5DF2FBD.jpg

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
This is how I’ve decided to cut and clip the track for now. 2” square hole with two modified wps track clips side by side. Trying to copy the design of the alpha as closely as possible. I figure cats got a good 5 years of R&D into this thing and probably have the design that works. First pic is the cat powerclaw with center track clips. Second pic looks down between the rails at how the clips run between the rails.

3D289F86-9718-4F35-9F9A-34E8F6BEFE21.jpg ECF36C29-4CA3-4A33-AA63-F3EB1C8777BD.jpg

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Could a guy run the clips facing outwards on the inside drive lugs? Or would that allow the track to spin off easier than center clips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Clips

Could a guy run the clips facing outwards on the inside drive lugs? Or would that allow the track to spin off easier than center clips

I've been wondering the same thing.
I'm also guessing that cat has done it this way for a good reason???

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
You could mount the clips up against the inner drive nubs, but it will space the rails closer together. The drive nub space is 2.71/2.72" as best I could measure with calipers. The aftermarket Hyfax I have mounted is 1.175" wide, the factory Cat slides are 1.125", go figure! This alone would space the rails .100 further together and tighten-up the inner dim. for the clips. So measure your slide width before you do anything! Mike

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My concern with the Alpha is that only the left paddles have clips.......
Y?
Gonna have premature hyfax/track wear on the right paddles like the Axys?
Currently all powerclaw paddles(except Alpha) are clipped.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Y?

Pre-mature wear would be a shame as the power claw is (currently) in a league of its own performance, durability wise and every other mark. Hope that doesn’t change

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Y?

Yea, I kinda wonder the same thing. I believe a large amount of the problem with premature wear on the Polaris track is you have to keep that thing tighter than hell to keep it from ratcheting because of the crappy Polaris drivers. I’ve never had or seen a problem with powerclaw wear since they started making it back in 2010.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Could a guy run the clips facing outwards on the inside drive lugs? Or would that allow the track to spin off easier than center

I thought about this a lot. I believe the clips with the lip running betweeen the rails helps keep the track centered as you go side to side.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
hows the weight,
that alpha rail might be worth the coin?

Unfortunately I didn’t weigh the skid or track before I started. From a pure financial stand point I doubt the $3500ish it’ll cost for a alpha skid is worth the couple lbs lighter it might be over this set up. I will assume the 11lbs lighter cat claims for the alpha is half skid and half track weight loss. I’ll probably lose 3-4lbs in the track by cutting out the centers and extra lugs the 2.6 has. Probably lose another 3-4lbs in the skid. So I’d guess the homemade alpha 6-7lbs lighter than stock set up.

Last edited:

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Y?

Clips on the left hand side ....no they are down the Center

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
U r correct, the clips are in the center.
I am also correct, only the left paddle has clips, the right paddles do not.
Key word: paddles. I didn't say "left hand side"

gotcha I see what your saying now. i guess they had to pick a paddle to clip every other, worked out to be the left paddle center to clip.
I don't see it being a big deal....been in the making since 2013

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
My concern is all the weight is on that small section of paddle, 7in between clips.
Heat buildup in the paddle like the Axys and cause failing paddles.
Polaris switched it up in 2019, clipping the paddles now instead of between paddles

Premium Features