• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Upgrading my current bike on ST Mountain Horse

E
Aug 9, 2017
Hello,
New to the forum and looks like there's a lot of great info on snow bikes here. Late last season I purchased a 2014 mountain horse 120 kit and put it on my 2016 Husky TC250 2 stroke. I didn't get a good test in powder as it was a pretty set up snow, but it was amazing how fun it was on snow I wouldn't have wanted to ride a sled on.

Now I also have a 2014 KX450f which I am considering putting on the kit. Do these bikes have a lot more issues in the cold? figuring I will need to modify the airbox and run a thermostat of some sort. Guess I am mostly trying to figure out which bike will work better. Half my riding is done in Upper Michigan the other half in Idaho/Montana. Would like the bike to be fun at high elevation still. I do have a sled for deep powder days.
Any input appreciated. Thank you!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Pretty much any motocross 450 bike is easier to setup ideally to perform in deep snow then a 2 stroke. To match the 450's ability you pretty much need a to punch the 250 out to a 300 with a little more compression and porting for snow making it a little less of an ideal dirtbike.

The 450, you pretty much need a good intake, some shrouding and a thermostat and your golden, also things you would have to do to the 250 on top of the HP mods.

A KX with an ST is a TON of fun out west even on the deep days. You definately need a group of bikes to truely see their ability but It is amazing where they will take you.

T
Oct 18, 2016
Anchorage, AK
We ride with a guy on a 13'-15' KX450F and his bike works great. Like ole' Wheel House said, just do a thermostat and some engine shrouding and you'll be good to go.
I never saw any Kawasaki air forks collapse in the cold, but I have seen some WPs go flat. That would be the only thing you might consider looking into, some KYB PSF seals that hold pressure in colder weather.

Premium Features