• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD sidekick experience

A
Jan 25, 2009
Boise, Id
I got my new sidekick installed on my 16 proclimb and it's not pulling rpms and acting really boggy on the bottom end...almost like it's bad mapping, maybe timing. I don't know if you tried a new sidekick on your proclimb yet I'd love to hear other experiences thanks

M
Feb 19, 2008
Montana
Sidekick

Sidekick showed up for my holdover 16 limited today. Are you changing to the 21/49 gears with it or running the stock 19/50 setup?

K
Jan 1, 2016
17mtn cat ND sidekick

I am going to be installing a sidekick on a 17 mtn cat 162 next weekend...any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Braaaaappp!!:)

A
Jan 25, 2009
Boise, Id
I couldn't get it dialed with the mag weights so I put my mds adjustable weights in @ 77 grams and it's a lot better..I usually ride around 7-8k feet. Let me know how you guys set up your clutching and let me know how it runs I was told to set up the mag weights 1-2-2-1 from heal to toe, it ran really good if I pinned it after 5000 rpm but out of the hole it would just fall on its face. I premixed the first tank and I thought maybe it was just running super rich so I drained that gas, changed the plugs and put fresh gas (2.5 gallons of 110 the rest 91 non ethanol and it still wasn't running good on the bottom but last night I put my mds weights in and it ran really good. I think it could still be a little better we'll see how it goes.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
really? your not going to find a "bolt on" turbo kit that is turn key. unless you have some knowledge of tuning a turbo 2 stroke you'll have a steep learning curve

Silber Axys is turn key. No one even runs gauges. Simple ecu reflash. No piggy back controller. I have no issues and no tinkering with mine.

And I've seen the wiring solder job on the sidekick proclimb setups this year. Needs to be improved big time. I'd check all that first ACIdaho

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
really? your not going to find a "bolt on" turbo kit that is turn key. unless you have some knowledge of tuning a turbo 2 stroke you'll have a steep learning curve

My learning curve was a BD kit and the last 5 sleds have been Silber Turbos. You are right about the steep learning curve, I hated the first kit I had. Thank goodness I figured it out.

M
Feb 19, 2008
Montana
first ride bd sidekick

All i can say is Im LESS than impressed with the recommended setup. Wont rev past about 7100 and acts like plugs are fouled completely. that was at pretty low elevation of about 6000 ft running the recommended 1-2-2-1 weight setup. Looking like Ill be spending a lot more time trying to make this work instead of ride. ANY help on clutch setup would be greatly appreciated. Mostly ride 7500-9000 ft.

K
Jan 1, 2016
17mtn cat BD sidekick

Mx818 and Idaho,
Have either one of you had aNY success getting yours dialed in??? I seem to be having the same problems. However, I'm at a lower elevation. Still should have throttle response out of the hole and I'm getting none. Runs like a raped ape if your already at 5 or 6000 rpms then mash it. If anyone has any advice please feel free to comment.

:face-icon-small-fro

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mx818 and Idaho,
Have either one of you had aNY success getting yours dialed in??? I seem to be having the same problems. However, I'm at a lower elevation. Still should have throttle response out of the hole and I'm getting none. Runs like a raped ape if your already at 5 or 6000 rpms then mash it. If anyone has any advice please feel free to comment.

:face-icon-small-fro

Have any of you guys called BD??? It does not sound like a clutching problem. Sounds like a mapping problem.

K
Jan 1, 2016
17mtn cat BD sidekick

Will be calling tomorrow. So much for bolt on plug and pull. Not very impressive if you ask me.

Last edited:
M
Feb 19, 2008
Montana
17 mtn

i ran today changing only back to stock spring. it ran WAY better. after about 5-6 miles i was hitting 8460 rpm at over 9000ft in big horns. granted thats on a relatively hard trail not in powder but lack of snow is to blame there. it really seemed to run better the longer i ran it. for first 20 miles i was wishing i had my old 13 back it ran so much stronger. but i think its coming along. why? i have no idea? maybe being a brand new motor and breaking it in? maybe theres a bit of a learning curve for the bd box? ive run into that before with automotive efi systems. i wont know much more until next weekend.

Premium Features