• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 XCR 600 Light Mod-Help/suggestions

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I didn't look at the Pistons yet. Thought about it then I got distracted cleaning carbs. I'll get some pictures when I split the case. I'll pull the Pistons out of the jugs and inspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh, youre really goin for it with this! cool man, your fiance will be thrilled, lol.
i happen to have a complete 96 xlt motor here if you screw somethin up. looks in good shape. you can have it for the project. might be worth a drive up here sometime.

later

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
oh, youre really goin for it with this! cool man, your fiance will be thrilled, lol.

i happen to have a complete 96 xlt motor here if you screw somethin up. looks in good shape. you can have it for the project. might be worth a drive up here sometime.

later

Haha oh she's gonna end up killing me one of these days. I might as well give her a reason! Where do you live? Anywhere close to me?

I think I'll replace all the pilot jets like suggested. The one is pretty messed up. I can't imagine they could be that expensive. Also i might as well do the vinegar trick too. Make sure these babies are clean when I put them back on

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Haha oh she's gonna end up killing me one of these days. I might as well give her a reason! Where do you live? Anywhere close to me?

I think I'll replace all the pilot jets like suggested. The one is pretty messed up. I can't imagine they could be that expensive. Also i might as well do the vinegar trick too. Make sure these babies are clean when I put them back on

im in central WA.
i dug up an old post of mine if you replace those needle/seats. If your carbs are same as mine - 38rounds, these are what you want.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394847

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Haven't had a chance to get any more done on the sled yet, but I just ordered new pilot jets and new needles and seats. Thinking maybe the needles and seats were leaking causing the case to fill with fuel while sitting and thus flooding it and making it hard cold starting. After some ready in your thread, it looks like the XLTs were known for having bad needles and seats. Ordered the 511's that you linked to

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
What about jetting? From my research, it seems that with the triple pipes it's probably going to want like 270's. I'm assuming the 250's are stock as the pO said that he put the pipes on, and I highly doubt from what else I've seen that the thing was re jetted at that time.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
I know you ordered new pilot jets but the best way to clean them or any jets for that matter is to take a single strand of copper wire out of a 16 or 18 Guage stranded wire and use that. You just need it about 6 inches long then insert it through the hole and role the jet with your finger. The soft copper will not hurt the jet and will scrub any crap that is stuck in it out. This is cool to follow this biuld, I like the old wedge sleds.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I know you ordered new pilot jets but the best way to clean them or any jets for that matter is to take a single strand of copper wire out of a 16 or 18 Guage stranded wire and use that. You just need it about 6 inches long then insert it through the hole and role the jet with your finger. The soft copper will not hurt the jet and will scrub any crap that is stuck in it out. This is cool to follow this biuld, I like the old wedge sleds.

I've always just used compressed air and lots of carb cleaner, but that's good to know!

My whole reason with ordering new pilot jets was because the first one (only one i've pulled so far) came our real hard and I basically mangled the top of the jet. I don't think they've been pulled in a couple days...or decades lol

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
jetting: google 1996 polaris xcr slp

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-5970.pdf page 4 is yours i believe

with the ultra, and some domestic twins i fiddled with, ive found slp's recommendation a little rich, and a little on the too aggressive side for clutching also. for mountain riding that is. their chart worked fine for the trails.
i bet 250 mains is plenty rich. even with a gutted airbox. if that motor is stock other than the pipes...??

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
jetting: google 1996 polaris xcr slp

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/instsheets/09-5970.pdf page 4 is yours i believe

with the ultra, and some domestic twins i fiddled with, ive found slp's recommendation a little rich, and a little on the too aggressive side for clutching also. for mountain riding that is. their chart worked fine for the trails.
i bet 250 mains is plenty rich. even with a gutted airbox. if that motor is stock other than the pipes...??

Wow that is super helpful for both jetting and clutching.

One question. Where is says "air screw 1/2 turn" is that 1/2 turn out from stock? or is that 1/2 turn out from snug? Seems like a long ways in if it's only 1/2 turn out from snug but I don't know...

Little more progress last night. Pulled all the carbs apart and soaked them in vinegar. Pulled the headlight assembly off of the hood and pulled the vent screens out and painted them. Removed the foam from the inside of the hood since it was rotten and I'll replace it with heat tape. Also discovered one little crack in the hood I didn't notice before, so I'll have to repair that. Progress is slow but it's coming along

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
f4b57cfb705f426d47f4800bf61e6614.jpg
fbe8b0716bfb6e2e147468375cfccb78.jpg
6c8439df939e665695e20b69d079addd.jpg
2e0ce8f1c14b94d3a8fde07ccddccb5d.jpg

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Didn't get much time to work last night but I did pull the carbs out and spray and blow them out. I tell ya what, vinegar works like a champ! I had my doubts because I looked at them and all the crap was still there but a quick spray with carb cleaner and hit it with compressed air and they're clean as a whistle! Something oddly satisfying about that lol

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Just to keep the thread up to date, not much time was spent on the sled this weekend but all my carb parts came in so I got them all put back together and ready to drop in. Also did the repair on the hood. I have about half the paint sanded off the hood and discovered another small crack thats been repaired. I'll have a bit of work to do to get those smoothed out. I plan to fill them with body filler and sand them smooth. With all the nooks and crannies on this hood, It's going to take a bit to get it prepped for paint.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
nice. on those carbs, air screws setting is from all the way in bottomed out. sounds like slp says 1/2 turn out. thats not much, but you might find the idle hangs too high if you go further. prob not something you can dial in perfect in summer time temps. take your time with getting the idle screws where they need to be, dead even on all three, as well as the throttle cables synched. i trust my eye better than my figures, so i pull the carb i cant see and tilt it towards me and synch it with the others.

Premium Features