• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Trail Tank High Capacity Fuel Tank

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
Just as soon as the Supercharger is bolted on, I will do the Tank Install.
Hang in there a couple weeks and we should be ready to roll.
Thats ok i'm having a hard time trying to get my Nytro up to Mark in Butte to do the turbo install so untill then,,i've got time. Chris have you ever used a shipping company up that way to ship sleds. I'm not haveing much luck,,,thought I'd see if you had any conections..it would be much apprieated. =) Dont wana wait to long to get that boost if you know what i mean. Just PM me if you do. Thanks

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
If you know someone handy with a small lathe or 3 in 1 mill, they could put metric threads on the zues(sp) fasteners for a stock look. I always carried a couple of extra screws in case I lost one(never did). I didn't move any hoses or fasteners to install my TrailTank, but it took a few test fits(and some swearing ) to get it far enough forward!!

I machined the the OEM dzus fasteners for the trail tank and ran them for a year. I also did the mod for several others. They look a lot better than the thumb screws but still where a pain to screw in. I never lost one but kept a couple spare thumb screws in my tool kit just in case. I ran the snap fasteners last season (2000+ miles) with no problems. The snap mod is a cheap and easy alternative and makes removing body panels tolerable.
001.jpg

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Looks very nice. I purchased tank, skinz seat and mesh hood. Thanks M-5 , Now i just need airframes and......Snow.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After a month of working on installing my SuperCharger from MPI, I finally got to the "Reinstall Tank" step tonight.

Got a quick first test fit done and it looks GOOD.

Tomorrow I will strip down the old tank and move all of the electronics over and install them in the new tank and then get it mounted up on the sled.

Should have plenty of information to share with everyone in the next day or so.

Also had the chance to meet the Trail Tank crew while I was at Hay Days last weekend.

Was really impressed with a VERY nice group of guys that make these tanks.

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
I was hoping you'd get to that soon,,,I gotta see just how well this works. I'm maybe thinking diff for that snap deal,,but waiting for you mr guinea lol.:face-icon-small-win

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Doing the installation now.
I will install it using their hardware to begin with.
Then I might go back and swap that out later on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
TRAILTANK #TTYN

READ INSTRUCTIONS THROUGH BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION OF TANK.

**WARNING: WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN
HANDLING HAZARDOUS LIQUIDS. WORK IN A PROPERLY VENTILATED AREA
.**

1. Remove two panels at bottom rear of seat to access seat bolts. Remove seat. Remove all plastic body work around the fuel tank. Carefully cut foam cushion to separate center plastic cover from side panels. (PIC 1) Unhook the fuel line and harness from the fuel pump. Remove the reusable tie
wrap around the sending unit wire harness and unhook the connector. (PIC 2) Remove your stock fuel tank assembly.

DONE PREVIOUSLY.

2. Rotate coil assemblies to allow more distance between them and the TrailTank as it will expand with use. (see picture to right)

picture.php

picture.php

Fully rotated over now.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
3. Transfer fuel pump and fuel gauge sending unit to the TrailTank using hardware and new o-rings supplied with your TrailTank.

It can be helpful when installing the larger TrailTank to loosen the two hoop to tunnel bolts on each side and push the hoop up as far as possible and re-tighten the bolts to give the tank more room to slide forward in the
frame.

OEM Fuel Tank, removing fuel pump assembly.
picture.php

Remove the 6 screws and the retaining ring comes off.
picture.php

Fuel Pump lifts right out without any binding.
picture.php

The fuel level float can now be seen.
picture.php

Float sending unit
picture.php

Comes off quite easily
picture.php

You will have to twist and turn this a bit to get it to come out.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The new trail tank port for the fuel level sending unit.
picture.php

Slide it in, screw it down, fits perfectly.
picture.php

Port for the fuel pump
picture.php

picture.php

This was just a bit tighter than the OEM.
The fuel pump got hung up on insertion and had to be "nudged" in.
Didn't take much force, but it was not a perfect fit like the OEM tank.
picture.php

Fuel pump is in and properly oriented.
picture.php

And the retaining ring is back in place which locks the fuel pump into the correct orientation as well.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
4. Install TrailTank in original tank location while mounting studs/nuts should be all the way back in the slots to fit properly. The studs will appear to be too short, but pushing down on the tank and using a flat blade screw driver to gently pry the stud upward will allow you to get the nuts started.

The tanks sets right into place with out ANY problems at all.
The fit was VERY GOOD!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As usuall, I figured this out the hard way.
But before you screw in the tank, make sure you snake in all the hoses and wires. I bolted it down tightly before I realized there was NOT enough room between the tank and the frame hoop to crawl the lines in between...

picture.php

FUEL LINE.
picture.php

Reconnecting the fuel line to the tank
picture.php

Reconnecting the fuel line to the engine.
picture.php

Fuel Pump Power line
picture.php

I added a few Zip Ties just to keep everything tight.
picture.php

Reattached the Vent Line
picture.php

Ended up with a good FOOT of extra vent line at the bottom.
Will have to trim this down when I am ready to put the side panels back in place.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Here are a series of photos to show the general FIT of the unit on the sled.

The tank fits VERY VERY WELL.
Much better than I was expecting in fact.
When I did the first test fit a few weeks ago I thought this was going to be really TIGHT. It isn't it.

They did a really nice job on making it fit snugly, but NOT tightly. There is plenty of room left all the way around for the electrical harnesses.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is as far as I am going to get for now.
The next step is body panel modification, and I am not ready to do that as I am still working on the supercharger installation.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
So the trail tank has gotta better? Last time i read about one you needed tricks like a ratchet strap and and a shop vac to suck the air out of it to get it to fit.

That one fits like a smack in the mouth.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So far I am delighted with how well it fits.

Of course, the REAL TEST will be when the body panels go on in a week or so.

Only then will we know if they have nailed it or not with the new and improved tank.

Premium Features