• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle stuck wide open. Hit a tree. Anyone else heard of this.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Road for about an hour. Stopped to wait for my son. Stabbed the throttle all the way. Holly s**t the thing went like hell. Hit it like crazy. Had to jump off before hitting a tree. Hit one tree. Flew 30ft hit other tree. By that time the tether can out. And stopped. Did some serious damage.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Road for about an hour. Stopped to wait for my son. Stabbed the throttle all the way. Holly s**t the thing went like hell. Hit it like crazy. Had to jump off before hitting a tree. Hit one tree. Flew 30ft hit other tree. By that time the tether can out. And stopped. Did some serious damage.

Heard of this many times. But seems to always be on full coverage,insured, high mileage sleds

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
All sleds suffer from this when the humidity and temperature are just right. A good tether is what we have been preaching. The Phantom Teth-Air starts timing down to a shutoff as soon as your hand leaves the bars with the engine reved up.

F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
Sorry about the damaged sled, but I laughed my a$$ off at the description of the event.Seems like they always have more snort when you are not expecting it.
:devil:

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the videos. And ya it was pretty scary. Did they find out what caused this.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I am not blaming any one.

I just know what I felt throttle was stuck. That thing was hauling *** away from me with no hands on the throttle and me coming off the back.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
So it's brps fault for not wearing tether.

If you're referring to the OP he did say the tether came out so I would assume he was wearing it.

On a slight tangent... has any OEM or aftermarket provider ever considered a "power off brake"? When the tether comes out it would pull electrical power. Loss of electrical power causes the device to apply the brake via spring. We use this type of device on some drive systems I work on and the hydraulic disc brake is a great application for it.

It seems to me the track momentum can really carry a slide quite some distance after the motor cuts out. Not to mention that a power off brake would prevent a lot ghost rides into the trees for some otherwise benign fall-offs.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
If they tied the e brake to the stator like the SHOT then BRP could call it the O SH!T. Those big manufacturers like to cross promote everything.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007

Flew 30 feet by that time the tether came out?? Really how long is your tether? Definitely sounds like a skidoo problem. Haha.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I just know what I felt throttle was stuck. That thing was hauling *** away from me with no hands on the throttle and me coming off the back.

Had the sled been in a wreck previously? Or you have a tear in your intake? Maybe ice formed on throttle body. Or foreign body in throttle body.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
this happened to a buddy this year with a pro. Pulled the pull start, sled went to instant full throttle and dumped the rider then launched off a rock and totaled the sled.

Scary crap and nothing the rider could do.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
The 800 etech and 850 are supposed to go into limp mode if started and the throttle is not in neutral position. Hence the beeping when you start it and there is ice build up under the flipper. So what happened?

Premium Features