• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 XCR 600 Light Mod-Help/suggestions

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
you really should come get my motor and stuff:face-icon-small-hap
have you rebuilt motors before? top ends are easy, but ive never done a bottom end. my old boss at the dealership always sent bottoms out to a machine shop for some reason.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
you really should come get my motor and stuff:face-icon-small-hap
have you rebuilt motors before? top ends are easy, but ive never done a bottom end. my old boss at the dealership always sent bottoms out to a machine shop for some reason.

Haha If I need a motor, I might just have to make a trip up there! What town in Central Washington?

I have done a few top ends. I did one top to bottom on an '04 800 edge that broke a crank, but I had the cases line bored so it came back from the machine shop with the bottom end assembled.

FYI after I get the motor torn down, and put back together, I'll be calling you to get the track, and extensions if you still want to sell them! I would really like to do the 156, but if you have all the extensions for the 141, that would simplify things immensely!

More than likely to line bored the cases before re-assembling.

Exactly. I'm not real worried about separating the cases and putting it back together. I've got hondabond case seal sitting on the shelf. Do you happen to have any torque specs on this particular motor?

Sorry for the lack of updates in this thread. I've gotten real busy on the ranch as summer time always does and haven't gotten alot done lately. I'm all but ready to paint the hood and whatnot. In fact the other night I was cleaning it all up to prime it and realized I forgot to put bondo on the two hairline cracks that needed fixed. So I did that and haven't had time to get it sanded off. That'll be my next step.

I'm focusing on getting the hood painted and back together so I can limit the number of pieces as much as possible. Once that's together the motor is coming out.

Stay tuned!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Well I got the hood painted yesterday. It isn't perfect and I've got some orange peel I need to try to get wet sanded down, but it's better than it was!

I also pulled apart the clutch and am still trying to get it to operate smoothly. It's running 10-44's and a blue spring.
b372a5a6505fe8b4d2d8f2368b23f7fd.jpg
9fd004980170bd79bed9d1f6abb40b4c.jpg
2b29936976fd9992ac9d83de53c8d839.jpg
bf2d911fb2db3aae768a68d8a7aaa884.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Haha If I need a motor, I might just have to make a trip up there! What town in Central Washington?

FYI after I get the motor torn down, and put back together, I'll be calling you to get the track, and extensions if you still want to sell them! I would really like to do the 156, but if you have all the extensions for the 141, that would simplify things immensely!

im in ellensburg. yeah i pretty much got everything you would need to do a 141. got a 141x2 challenger- not perfect but totally usable, tunnel extension, rail extensions, lower gears if you want...
if ya get a wild hair go for a road trip, ill set you all up and throw the motor in just cuz. $200 for everything, till the swapmeet comes in october.. then im gonna try to get what i can for this stuff. i have a decent looking set of chrome slp triples with glasspacks too. was thinking i could get $200 easy for those, but id throw em in for another 100 if ya want to try them. keep up the work, youll be proud when its all done. nice spare sled/time capsule. these are dirt cheap piecers right now, dime a dozen, but will be cool azz vintage mountain sleds to the next generations.

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
im in ellensburg. yeah i pretty much got everything you would need to do a 141. got a 141x2 challenger- not perfect but totally usable, tunnel extension, rail extensions, lower gears if you want...
if ya get a wild hair go for a road trip, ill set you all up and throw the motor in just cuz. $200 for everything, till the swapmeet comes in october.. then im gonna try to get what i can for this stuff. i have a decent looking set of chrome slp triples with glasspacks too. was thinking i could get $200 easy for those, but id throw em in for another 100 if ya want to try them. keep up the work, youll be proud when its all done. nice spare sled/time capsule. these are dirt cheap piecers right now, dime a dozen, but will be cool azz vintage mountain sleds to the next generations.

I think I'll probably take you up on that at some point this summer.

Progress is slow on this thing, but I did pull the secondary last night and went through it. Just put all the stock parts back in it.

Next is the motor. I don't have high hopes since I can hear #3 piston wiggle back and forth in the bore.

Snojet, how is that motor that you have? I'm assuming I'll be putting at least a top end in this one.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Pulled the top end tonight. #3 does not look good. I'm not comfortable with the cylinder either. You can see some scoring in the cylinder and the piston is scored very bad and cracked. With the way the piston was rocking in the bore I don't think this monoblock is worth putting back together.

Sno jet, I sent you my number. Give me a call if you are still wanting to get rid of parts. If you're willing to through in a good motor I'll make the trip up to pick it up and buy some more parts from you.

Here are some pics
f5c227c627b96ddfd1036488aa210f9f.jpg
7f7af598f2096ed0eb1f847835c647b4.jpg
c37e58f2ef4e7c6ce2854ae7c23e2627.jpg
c166af4da2fed8fb5dc1e1b497634632.jpg
9a00fdad408667f8200bbf4b3edf2e1f.jpg
4ef9eb4e1498ff7f9ad2853b866bf8be.jpg
b73d4e20c2e8bae421a4c14a321bd05c.jpg
3427b7e3119920aedc35284e76b28ff3.jpg
d52af68acdf7e25e93d3119fc2f61e4a.jpg
33ab0c674c6839af60fd07542713fec9.jpg
1b89fc2b8169c1522ad63ffda3184b4e.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
right on just saw this ill call ya tomorow.
that one does look pretty bad, was it same jetting across the board? i will look closer into my motor and make sure it looks good. It would come with the XLT 34mm carbs, you can look and see if they staggered those jets with the pipes, i never ran the thing but it appeared pretty low miled.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
The XLT has a steel liner you might be ok with a good hone and most piston manufactures have them in oversize if a bore is required

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Wet sand the hood then buff.

I did that to a rattle can job I did on the kids Indy Lite.

It's on the list. I screwed up and let my pot sit for too long before spraying the last coat and I think it started setting up

right on just saw this ill call ya tomorow.

that one does look pretty bad, was it same jetting across the board? i will look closer into my motor and make sure it looks good. It would come with the XLT 34mm carbs, you can look and see if they staggered those jets with the pipes, i never ran the thing but it appeared pretty low miled.

Hmmm if I can do as slash says and clean up the cylinder with a hone, maybe I'll stick with this motor and 38 mm carbs. I'll still come up and get the pipes, track and extension unless you would ship it to me.

The XLT has a steel liner you might be ok with a good hone and most piston manufactures have them in oversize if a bore is required

I can feel the grooves with my finger. I doubt I could gone it far enough to do it but I don't claim to be an expert at all

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Hmmm if I can do as slash says and clean up the cylinder with a hone, maybe I'll stick with this motor and 38 mm carbs. I'll still come up and get the pipes, track and extension unless you would ship it to me.

yea i could ship the other stuff, just let me know.
and you can mix and match carbs too i believe, just change flanges and airbox. I think I threw the XLT airbox in the trash tho. im a fan of k&n style or SLP airboxs. i run a gutted hood and added some venting to the tub behind the shock tower as well as drilled some holes in the footwell/dash area and never notice any bog from steam ingestion. the stock hood airbox entry on these get clogged way too easy in the powder.

Premium Features