• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boosted Apex Issues

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
Just want to pick a few brains on this one. 2006 Apex motor Impulse Race Kit 2871 Tial turbo. I am getting codes 13, 15, and 20 sled runs but can't seem to keep it running in the 12's on the Air Fuel guage. Idles in the 13's and as I accelerate and it starts to make boost at say 2-8lbs and 7000 to 8500 RPM it will go rich and run at 10 on the A/F Guage. Which makes it hard to ride cruising across a meadow, blubbers and runs rich. I have tried different controllers and the same results if I take away boost fuel in the middle I can't add enough main jet to make up for it. I have had my controller remapped and that has helped but not curing the problem. Using a Purelogic controller and I have a stock Attitude controller as well to compare with. I know some of you guys don't like these controllers but I have had 4 good years running this one.

Because of the codes I think I have other issues, have done all the tests , swapped computers and all the sensors and no luck. In Diagnostic's D2 it shows 95 and on D3 it shows 9 that seems like a huge spread for atmospheric pressure change on a not running engine. The manual doesn't help me out and tell how much difference there should be. I have pressure tested the system and I can't find any leaks, tested fuel pressure changed plugs etc.

If the Map sensors are not working properly that would make sense of what is happening the sled is fighting it self. It's telling it to add fuel and it does not need it. ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED
Jason

Last edited:
E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Have ya tried a new set of plugs? These sleds will run but like crap if the plugs are fouled. Sounds like you checked some of the obvious

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Have you had this sled out since the build and it was running good? Or having issue's since the first ride?

M
Dec 9, 2010
Great Falls MT
Looks like all the codes that are being throw have to do with the air intake sensor and pressure. Error 20 reads "Atmospheric pressure defective values are detected due to the internal malfunction fixes the intake air pressure and atmospheric pressure to 85.0 kPa. Able Able."

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
my buddies did similar this year it was the air pressure sensor from the air box just replaced it & all good.

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
check for condensation in the vac lines going to the atmosphere sensor pull the lines and blow them all out. had this happen once on mine. does it rest in a heated shop to dry things out or stuck out in the cold?

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
I would Check again and make sure tps sensor is set correct in you diagnostics.. If i remember right Jason it was 14 to 17 with throttle closed and 94 to 97 at wot. Should be in that ball park. I know you tried two boxes but check the ground, Im assuming both boxes have a solid green light or a steady flash at idle and show to be working correct.. Or a boost leak, check the throttle bodies one more time..

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Ok one more thing... And ill almost bet this is it if all the other things mentioned check out. You have the same 44 mm wastegate as i do. There is a diaphram inside that maybe torn causing a boost leak OR the valve in side maybe broke from the stem causing a boost leak as well.... louie

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Like someone else mentioned, try changing the atmospheric pressure sensor. I have seen a few issues with them this year. Not sure if they get moisture or what.

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
Like someone else mentioned, try changing the atmospheric pressure sensor. I have seen a few issues with them this year. Not sure if they get moisture or what.

Thanks will try this tonight, one thing I noticed was that with the controller plugged in doing diagnosis D2 and D3 readings are way off and with the controller removed it reads in spec. Just wondering if this is normal?
Jason

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
Thanks will try this tonight, one thing I noticed was that with the controller plugged in doing diagnosis D2 and D3 readings are way off and with the controller removed it reads in spec. Just wondering if this is normal?
Jason
that is correct all diagnostics should be done with the fuel controller out of the circuit and stock connection made. plugged in it changes all the values.

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
that is correct all diagnostics should be done with the fuel controller out of the circuit and stock connection made. plugged in it changes all the values.

Thanks for verifing this for me.

I have determined that the atmospheric sensors are all working, next I will pressurize the system to check for leaks again to see if that is the problem. I do have another throttle body assy that I can borrow to test as a last resort.
Thanks for the help.
Jason

Premium Features