• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's flying a DJI MAVEC DRONE when sledding?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
$1500 is alot... but not much when you think about the fact that these things are taking amazing video that would have taken a helicopter, multiple people and a super expensive camera just years ago.

Cool stuff.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As for me, with NO Drone.

I am ordering a new ZOOM!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

small_mavic_2_zoom_9.png

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
For those with a Mavic pro currently, the upgrade is hard to justify, but for those without. WOW, it will be pretty easy to make this jump. The zoom has some amazing features which should work well for sledding. The image quality you have to work with is almost over the top for the average user.

The mavic 2 in both variations tout some rediculous specs for such a user friendly $1500 consumer drone. Wider range of light handling will be nice for those not so blue days and the perfectly clear super bright pow days. All while getting a little smaller yet.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For those with a Mavic pro currently, the upgrade is hard to justify, but for those without. WOW, it will be pretty easy to make this jump. The zoom has some amazing features which should work well for sledding. The image quality you have to work with is almost over the top for the average user.

The mavic 2 in both variations tout some rediculous specs for such a user friendly $1500 consumer drone. Wider range of light handling will be nice for those not so blue days and the perfectly clear super bright pow days. All while getting a little smaller yet.

Its Bought.
Now just waiting to see how long before they ship
39965158_1859042224149164_2901245061213716480_o.jpg

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Enjoy man! Now if I used mine enough now days that every time I go to use it, it wouldn't need to update and waste my whole battery updating :doh:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Enjoy man! Now if I used mine enough now days that every time I go to use it, it wouldn't need to update and waste my whole battery updating :doh:

I got burned by this a couple times as well. It's to the point that I now turn everything on a day or two before I leave on a trip just to do the updates at home on the better wifi network.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Very nice. Hope you get some use out of it. I've been practicing with my Spark a lot. It's a very powerful little tool.
Sure hope to!
I had planned on having this a MONTH ago to have more time to learn how to fly it over the summer, but they kept delaying the release.
As of right now I have NO ship date, just waiting..

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Are there FREQUENT software updates?

Yes to some extent, and most are mandatory meaning you can not use it unless it is upgraded. Like stated above the best practice is to turn it on the day before and make sure you are good to go. I just do some last minute dirtbike rides where I am like oh I should grab the drone and bam update haha. I would say every month or every other month it seems to need an upgrade. So to do it at home you will turn the contoller on that is plugged into your phone, turn the drone itself on and than the app will pop open and tell you what to do.

Good luck and enjoy! Watch for trees :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK Boys, SCHOOL ME.
I have NEVER flown a drone.

What accessories should I be ordering to get this bad boy ready for action.

I bought the Mavec with the FLY MORE kit and thats it.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
OK Boys, SCHOOL ME.
I have NEVER flown a drone.

What accessories should I be ordering to get this bad boy ready for action.

I bought the Mavec with the FLY MORE kit and thats it.

The only thing besides the fly more that I have picked up is a couple of cases.

I typically use this case for everything when using the drone out of the truck or at the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XG6NN8Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
91UYN6Z-kuL._SL1500_.jpg

I use this case when I need to travel light. it holds just the Mavic, remote and batteries (3 total, 1 in the drone and 2 in the case). I use this one a bunch when I know I will not be charging anything. Day trips in a SxS type of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733R49Y9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
61StdkcgxtL._SL1200_.jpg

I picked up this mount for my ipad mini and this is what I fly with 75% of the time. The other 25% being with my iPhone X.

https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Upgr...5135202&sr=1-7&keywords=mavic+ipad+mini+mount
61oiAzcnIkL._SL1200_.jpg

I'm working on building a waterproof box now that mounts into the LinQ system on the sled. but in the past I have just used that small case while sledding.

Beyond that like Yaeger34 said some of the updates can be large and if you are on crap wifi can take forever. Since DJI has a crazy database of fly/nofly zones that are always updating there are frequent updates for the software. Also from time to time updates for the batteries which required you to mount each battery in the drone and run an update. But these are far less often (only seen two in the couple years I have had mine).

Premium Features