• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why in the World???

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
They have only had the hwy open by Memorial day once in the last 5 years and that was because it melted off that year. They have never committed to having it plowed by Memorial day. On heavier snow years we usually see it cleared just barely in time for the Over the top bicycle race usually around June 15th or so.

Well, in 2008 it was open before May 29... my boys and I took these pictures that day and drove all the way across in the truck after unloading and riding at the Summit. You can see the auger working in a couple of the pictures widening the sides out and opening the pull off areas.

May 29, 2008

This was the Mafia Ride June 11, 2005 parked at the Mirror Lake turn off and we had driven over it the previous 2 weeks in a row.

I can't find the pictures right now, but I have pictures of the auger clearing the last mile on May 23, 2009. I asked that auger driver what the deal was and he told me flat out that their goal every year is to have it open to traffic by Memorial Day although their official commit date is July 1.

I'm not saying it isn't later than Memorial Day that it opens... I'm just saying that they spend a lot of money to open it faster than is needed. But as someone else said, at least on the West side, they do a great job of plowing nice turn arounds for us so we can keep chasing the snow higher.

sled_guy

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
You need a sled deck, plain and simple. :) Having the sled deck gives me riding at least 2 weeks after most others have stopped.

I have ridden up Mirror lake highway on memorial day the last few years, most years we get to park up close to the top. I will be impressed if they have the road open before memorial day this year.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
You need a sled deck, plain and simple. :) Having the sled deck gives me riding at least 2 weeks after most others have stopped.
Or a smaller trailer and you just unhook it and turn it around by hand. That is how it is done in Washington as the snow levels start climbing pretty high.

Though, we don't get any plowing. Sometimes the snow forces you to drive quite a while with your sled on gravel. That is not very fun!

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
Or a smaller trailer and you just unhook it and turn it around by hand. That is how it is done in Washington as the snow levels start climbing pretty high.

Though, we don't get any plowing. Sometimes the snow forces you to drive quite a while with your sled on gravel. That is not very fun!

I've seen how you die hards in Washington do it. You'll do anything to get to the goods. :face-icon-small-hap :face-icon-small-win

Brandy/aka/Coyotegirls Pics

brandys (640x480).jpg brandy's 2 (640x480).jpg

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Well, in 2008 it was open before May 29... my boys and I took these pictures that day and drove all the way across in the truck after unloading and riding at the Summit. You can see the auger working in a couple of the pictures widening the sides out and opening the pull off areas.

May 29, 2008

This was the Mafia Ride June 11, 2005 parked at the Mirror Lake turn off and we had driven over it the previous 2 weeks in a row.

I can't find the pictures right now, but I have pictures of the auger clearing the last mile on May 23, 2009. I asked that auger driver what the deal was and he told me flat out that their goal every year is to have it open to traffic by Memorial Day although their official commit date is July 1.

I'm not saying it isn't later than Memorial Day that it opens... I'm just saying that they spend a lot of money to open it faster than is needed. But as someone else said, at least on the West side, they do a great job of plowing nice turn arounds for us so we can keep chasing the snow higher.

sled_guy

The mirror lake hwy was my commute for 5 years. Only one of those years was the hwy open by Memorial Day. Must have been the 2009 May.

H
Dec 11, 2007
utah
We ride from the Kamas side in the spring, and my experience has been that the plow drivers plow a spot to park and turn around where they stop each day. I pull a three place open trailer and it's pretty easy to turn around in the spots they plow. We just park on the road facing downhill after turning around. They usually don't plow on the weekends, so if you're worried about them plowing while you're out, just ride the weekends. I've ridden up there even after the road has been opened, and there are always places plowed to pull off the road.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I find it funny to spend a lot of money to get the road clear. O well. And it's not like anyone can use what's off the side. Meaning hiking, fishing or camping until the snow is gone. So it looks like it will be open for a scenic drive, road bike race, and some sledding. I think the spring, summer, fall recreating(not sledding) in the Uinta's will be short this year. :high5:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Father's Day

My bet would be June 16th. Three days before Fathers day.

Any takers?:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-coo

We could do like we did in years past... Father's Day we can go riding in the morning and golfing in the afternoon.

Waterskipping on the Mirror Lake outlet... ah the memories.

sled_guy

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
SALT LAKE CITY -- It could be weeks before Utahns will be able to travel on some of the state's high mountain roads.

UDOT spokeswoman Tania Mashburn said some of the roads crews usually try to open by Memorial Day aren't likely to be opened until mid-to-late June.

"Some of our seasonal roads still have drifts of 15 to 20 feet of snow," Mashburn said.

The roads include Highway 65 from Salt Lake City to East Canyon, the Mirror Lake Highway, the Alpine Loop above American Fork and Cedar Breaks in southern Utah.

"Usually by the beginning of April or so is when we start to try to get in there and start to clear those roads," said Mashburn. "And just because we haven't been able to start yet, that's pushing it back further than we normally would like."

Even if UDOT went to the expense of clearing the roads, Mashburn said people wouldn't be able to get far off the roads. And there's another issue. "We are pretty late in the season to have snow in some of our main canyons, Big and Little Cottonwood canyons," she said. "And so we're really focusing on some of our snow removal budget to work on those."

UDOT hopes enough snow will have melted by mid-June to allow plows to begin cleaning up the roads.

Below is the complete list of Utah's seasonal roads

SR-35 Wolf Creek Pass (Francis to Hanna, m.p. 12.44 to 27.51)
SR-39 Monte Cristo (east of Ogden, m.p. 36.86 to 55.40)
SR-65 East Canyon (northeast of Salt Lake City, m.p. 3.11 to 13.47)
SR-92 American Fork Canyon/Alpine Loop, m.p. 12.63 to 22.40
SR-148 Cedar Breaks (east of Cedar City, m.p. 0.15 to end)
SR-150 Mirror Lake Highway (east of Kamas to Bear River Lodge, m.p. 14.70 to 48.63)
SR-153 Mount Holly Junction (east of Beaver, m.p. 21.29 to 39.55)
E-mail: mgiauque@ksl.com

About this ad
Most Popular
ReadVideoCommentedDeseret News
1. Soldier returns to surprise party, brand ...
2. Murder charges say woman helped fiance ...
3. 2 junior high students bring handgun to ...
4. Sandy neighbors stop UTA parking lot
5. Deep snow to delay mountain road openings

About this ad

Premium Features