• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

************2009 Race gas D8 won't idle need help************

P
Dec 15, 2007
Puyallup, Wa
Need a little help on what direction to go with this. The concern started happening half way through the day. It will go to 1850 rpms for about 3 seconds then it will drop off and finally die. It will restart but you have to slightly open the throttle to get it to run, once its going it runs like new with correct boost and power.
What is ok, I checked the tp sensor, baro, intake air temp, throttle plate openings, checked for any vacuum or boost leaks, fuel pressure, the fuel controler doesn't do anything until the second injectors are open(normal), pyro, intake boot and reeds.

Thanks

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
check the cable? too tight and it wont keep that switch pressed in the lever and will kill it unless you hold it open a little bit. had mine go screwy this year because of that

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
... ok then I'd go back towards what Treeeclimber suggests. Adjust the throttle cable freeplay. I do believe that there is a throttle safety switch on your machine and it's on the throttle block. Good luck

From your Owner's Manual:

Attachments

• 2009 Pol Throttle Safety Switch1.png
    2009 Pol Throttle Safety Switch1.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 2009 Pol Throttle Safety Switch2.png
    2009 Pol Throttle Safety Switch2.png
    66 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2007
Puyallup, Wa
Thanks JGD but I don't have any switches on the trottle block and there no other switches other than the TP senosr on the trottle bodies. It will sometimes idle for over 10 seconds before the RPM's get too low and it will die. It will start at 1650 and die around 1250 rpm's

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
new plugs? i thought they all had safety switches but i cant see your throttle block from here so ill take your word for it

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
All 09 D-8's have a throttle safety switch in the throttle block. Has it been eliminated? Are you running an aftermarket throttle block? If so, then the wires must be cut that go to the safety switch.

These guys are correct. If that switch is partially open, it will not start, idle. Period.

70% of idle problems with CFI's are due to misadjusted throttle cables. The other 30% are caused by partially torn intake boots causing vacuum leaks, TPS, TPS wire connector, and fuel pressure issues.

When you say you checked the TPS, how did you check this to know for certain you're not having a problem with the TPS?

I would bet a six pack if the throttle switch/cable is adjusted properly, that the intake boots or vacuum leak is occuring.

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2007
Puyallup, Wa
Diamonddave, I've had the reeds out and have inspected the intake boot, the boot only has 3 rides on it. With spraying carb cleaner there are no increase in Rpms like when the boot went out. I've also built a 5volt box to adjust the TP sensor if needed. Check when it idles for 3-10 seconds and the voltage is correct also I've checked the closed throttle voltage and it's still the same with correct voltage. And no there are no throttle switches.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Diamonddave, I've had the reeds out and have inspected the intake boot, the boot only has 3 rides on it. With spraying carb cleaner there are no increase in Rpms like when the boot went out. I've also built a 5volt box to adjust the TP sensor if needed. Check when it idles for 3-10 seconds and the voltage is correct also I've checked the closed throttle voltage and it's still the same with correct voltage. And no there are no throttle switches.
You need to explain better so we can help you. Did you modify your throttle block? Take a picture and show us or explain why yours is different than others.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
what turbo kit do you have? have you tried putting the wiring back to stock? do you have an aux fuel pump with your set up? had an kit in the shop this year with a bad attitude box, sending the wrong voltages to the injectors. removed the box and it idled fine

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Might be possible that it is not related to the wiring, throttle cable, etc. Two Dragons I ride with are now on the motors 2 and 3 for the year. Every time they went down, they started off having idle issues and under full throttle symptons went away. With boost, it's easier to hide dropping compression. Have you done a compression test?

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
You may want to pull off your exhaust valve and see what the pistons look like or if you still have your pipe off have a look-see!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Did I miss something??

ALL 2009 Polaris consumer snowmobiles (besides Production-Race-sleds) have a throttle safety switch. ALL.

This is a separate microswitch mounted Inside the throttle block ... different from the kill-switch.

Did you remove the factory throttle block and replace it with an aftermarket throttle block or in some way modify the stock throttle block ??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
what turbo kit do you have? have you tried putting the wiring back to stock? do you have an aux fuel pump with your set up? had an kit in the shop this year with a bad attitude box, sending the wrong voltages to the injectors. removed the box and it idled fine

Good Call Jeremy. I have heard of this happening quite often in these parts.

Might be possible that it is not related to the wiring, throttle cable, etc. Two Dragons I ride with are now on the motors 2 and 3 for the year. Every time they went down, they started off having idle issues and under full throttle symptons went away. With boost, it's easier to hide dropping compression. Have you done a compression test?

I've seen this on the boards a couple times this year. Complaing of no idle and come to find out top end was hamburger.

Did I miss something??

ALL 2009 Polaris consumer snowmobiles (besides Production-Race-sleds) have a throttle safety switch. ALL.

This is a separate microswitch mounted Inside the throttle block ... different from the kill-switch.

Did you remove the factory throttle block and replace it with an aftermarket throttle block or in some way modify the stock throttle block ??

No you didn't miss anything. When I installed my FTX throttle block, I had to wire tie the idle switch closed completely. It hangs, wire-tied directly below my handle bars. Otherwise, sled wouldn't idle and pop, studder, misfire during acceleration of the flipper.

G
Apr 23, 2008
the one thing them damn valves are good for is to provide an easy to open
''window'' to the piston for our viewing pleasure !!! LOL

Even if you see no damage, get a really good light and put on some 4 x cheater glasses. Now look at the ring FACES.. if they are flat, or have a pronounced shine on the top and bottom EDGES the rings have lost their moly filing from deto or heat and are in need of replacement.
Rings have a convex outer edge, when worn or detoed even a little the super hot exhaust side shows it first.

The doo xp ring is junk and shows the same symptom in just hours of run time....they suuuuuccccckkkkkkk

Gus

P
Dec 15, 2007
Puyallup, Wa
SWREV, Thanks for the help! The pto side has only 50psi compression and the mag is at 125psi. I've had the pipe springs pull apart a few time though out the season, I was running 12 spring trying to hold it together. The new mod is to weld on a flex joint to bypass all the springs. I'll pull the engine apart tonight and see what I find. (running carls single ring pistons already).

Premium Features