• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pieps or tracker beacon???

R
Nov 18, 2008
Portland OR
Our group is looking for beacons I have found the tracker or the pieps beacons is there any difference other than $150 and I know I should not be worried about how much they cost but a little bit helps, or is there another beacon that is reasonably priced that would be a better way to go?? And can most beacons be mixed brands and still be used together??

F
Nov 26, 2007
To answer your question. As long as it has a 457 frequency it is compatible with other beacons. You won't go wrong with either beacon. I have used both and they both work great. As far as ease of use I'd go with the Tracker, I most avy experts would probably agree with me. I would look for something with a long range and easy to use. You might look at the Ortrovox patroller model also. Good luck

C
Nov 27, 2007
Selah WA.
both are very good and easy to use, my wife and i both use the peips dsp and my freinds use the tracker.
compatable...yes as said before as long as it uses the 457MHZ freq. analog or digital makes no diff. the peips came with a nice dvd as a nice intro to understanding the concepts of how it works and how it is to be used ,,,, but unless you use it and practice it may not do much good...
it can be kinda fun for a group to play hide and seek with a becon, makes for good practice!!!!
cop.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
^ 457 KHz.

457 MHz puts you in land-mobile service.

Personally I prefer a Tracker.... stupid-easy to use.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
You may also like to check out the Ortovox S1. My wife bought one for me this fall and I love it. Extremely easy to use, be it single or multiple burials. I also have an S.O.S. beacon that I took my avalanche training with and feel very proficient using. However, it does not come close to the ease of use and the speed at which you can locate a victim with the S1. Rather than relying on a flashing row of L.E.D.'s, it actually shows you the victims on a screen (up to 4 at a time) and tells you how many meters you are away from each victim. Unless you're a complete idiot, the S1 will pretty much take you by the hand and lead you to the victim, It has one feature that I really like now, but didn't think about until the terrible tragedy near Fernie. If it does not detect movement for 90 seconds, it automatically switches back from "receive" to "transmit". So if you are searching for burial victims and a second slide hits you, the S1 will switch back and start transmitting so other rescuers can have a chance of locating you.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
I got the pieps for christmas and i love it. My friend got the tracker and they both are great. I like mine for the multiple burial feature

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Both are great beacons. My experience is that the Pieps has better range. However, I own two trackers and an SOS so what do I know. I will be purchasing a Pieps in the near future.

BigT

R

rjm350

Mar 25, 2008
Lethbridge/Foremost
It sounds like the general consensus is the same. One piece of advise I will give is if you are buying a beacon look for a 3 antenna beacon. It is slightly newer technology and helps with differentiate with difference flux lines.
I have a tracer and it is very easy to use if there is only one beacon/person in the avalanche. However if there are 2 beacons barried close together (say within 8 to 10 meters) it becomes much harder to pin point there locations.
With the newer beacons you can mark and ignore a beacon so you can focus on a single beacon.

I have attached a link with a bunch of reviews on them. I would personally recommend looking at Pulse Barryvox, Pieps DSP and Ortovox S1. I will be purchasing the Pulse in the near future.

The link:
http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_BarryvoxPulse.htm

Cheers,

R
Nov 18, 2008
Portland OR
Thanks for all the imput ive been reading reviews and looking locally the past few days its gonna come down to who has them now, were leaving on a few day trip and promised loved ones I wouldnt leave without, and cause alot of people are out , there are a few used but I dont really feel comfortable buying something like that used, a local store has the pieps on sale for $340 so ill probably go that route over the tracker they have a little longer battery life and longer distance, unless I can find a patroller those also seem to be a good one as well. It just for the most part comes down to having one vs not having one and we all should have one, I have been without for a few years we have all spent thousands of dollars on sleds and gear and there is no point in going and maybe not coming back for skimping on something so important and for pennies compared to the alternative. . . Its a piece of mind for us and our familys

Premium Features