• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has anyone run the c3 XM post forward kit, with or without their post?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm looking to make the post as vertical as possible, and have the ablity to get as far forward as I can on this chassis. I see a lot of folks who have the c3 setup on the xp, which seems to me to be 1" more forward than the XM, but c3 makes the XM kit that goes another inch forward from that even...

Wondering if anyone is running that setup, and if so, any feedback on it?

D
Mar 3, 2008
You can't move your post forward without doing something to straighten it ,the bend in the post hits that aluminium cross bar above your pipe there is less than 1/2" clearance

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
C3 has a straight post for the XM.
Keep in mind the XM is already much farther forward than the Cat or Polaris already.
After getting used to the Doo style steering ( and riding style that goes with it) I prefer it to the vertical...and I rode a M-Cat for a couple years and loved it. I find more advantages to the slightly layed back post than I do with the vertical...keeps the bars closer to the rider, not forcing the rider forward as far to "reach" when bars are turned. JMO-
That being said, I have spoken with several people who have gone to the forward post and like the results, others didn't notice any advantage ....It comes down to personal preference I suppose.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You can't move your post forward without doing something to straighten it ,the bend in the post hits that aluminium cross bar above your pipe there is less than 1/2" clearance

from C3 in the XM specific kit:
"The kit is easiest to install if you use the straight steering post but will work with the stock post if you are willing to do extensive air box modifications. "

You're thinking it's hitting the cross bar though, not just the air box?

Either way, I think the straight post is the way I'd go for sure.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
C3 has a straight post for the XM.
Keep in mind the XM is already much farther forward than the Cat or Polaris already.
After getting used to the Doo style steering ( and riding style that goes with it) I prefer it to the vertical...and I rode a M-Cat for a couple years and loved it. I find more advantages to the slightly layed back post than I do with the vertical...keeps the bars closer to the rider, not forcing the rider forward as far to "reach" when bars are turned. JMO-
That being said, I have spoken with several people who have gone to the forward post and like the results, others didn't notice any advantage ....It comes down to personal preference I suppose.

Well... Where the post comes out, IS further forward than cat & poo, but if you run the riser inline with the post like you mention, you're actually further back than on a cat anyhow. I'll have a 4-6" adjustable riser on it, (likely set at about 4.5 from what I can tell) which will move me forward some, but anything I can do to get the post more linear, and more vertical I can't see being a bad thing for me anyhow. I very much prefer the post in line, but I like the riding position, with it more vertical, I'm hoping this accomplishes this.

I plan to put the riser I want on first & see of that, when set up properly for me gets me where I want to be. Who knows, maybe that will feel like the sweet spot for me.

The other question though, if I were to do the kit, and NOT like it, could I keep their post in, or is there not room for that?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Rassmussen is going to have a kit for sale next year. I am not sure how far forward his was from stock. He said I would like it better since I was used to a pro. He only had two set up that way and I forgot about trying one, to see if I liked it, until it was too late. All his bars were set 3 inches lower than stock. If it were mine I would come up one inch.

D
Mar 3, 2008
Not sure if it would hit that bar if you only went like mabey1" there is 1/2" inch clearance between that tube and your steering post, just take off your clutch guard and look in there its at the bend I have never seen the c3 kits so can't say about that. Just looked at it as I was interested in doing this myself.

O
Nov 15, 2012
Am i the only one questioning why skidoo did not make the steering post more vertical them selves when they where building the "ultimate powder sled"? Its not like its rocket science or anything to make new brackets and a straight post.

Are the test drivers morons, not to demand a more vertical post? Or is it just a very small number of people that always sidehill steep, that want this mod done?
It does get you thinkin, doesnt it? :)

Itll be fun to see if the 2015's are "Bret-ified" with more vertical post, and lower (adjustable?) riser :) i'm not so sure it will be though..

B
Nov 26, 2007
I'm looking to make the post as vertical as possible, and have the ablity to get as far forward as I can on this chassis. I see a lot of folks who have the c3 setup on the xp, which seems to me to be 1" more forward than the XM, but c3 makes the XM kit that goes another inch forward from that even...

Wondering if anyone is running that setup, and if so, any feedback on it?

Did a ton of reading tonight and I believe the following #'s are correct. The stock XM post is 1" farther forward than the stock XP. C3 kit for the XM moves it 2" farther forward and the XP moved 3" forward. The kit ends up putting the steering post in the same forward location on the XM and XP.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I thought the XM was 2" forward, but either way, the setup I ran today felt really good. I ran my 4-6" at 4, and it was really smooth.

Running it more forward though would let me run the riser a bit higher and then completely inline with the post (I'm pretty close now) to maintain the same front to back location on the sled. I'm a bit hunched for jumping & whoops, but pretty ideal for trees as is.

27146_4711735833419_880586669_n.jpg

Got out to day though... I've never been this happy with a stock machine... I had a blast today.:D:D

Last edited:
D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Holy cow am I sick of hearing about vertical steering posts. One old dude likes his post vertical. Big frickin deal. If someone likes vertical steering......great, good for them. Thats what the sport is all about is finding a setup you like and going with it. But to label one setup as THE way, or the RIGHT way is retarded. I like an angled steering post but hey......who the hell am I.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Holy cow am I sick of hearing about vertical steering posts. One old dude likes his post vertical. Big frickin deal. If someone likes vertical steering......great, good for them. Thats what the sport is all about is finding a setup you like and going with it. But to label one setup as THE way, or the RIGHT way is retarded. I like an angled steering post but hey......who the hell am I.

just another person... just like Brett.

If the post weren't more forward than in the past I doubt I'd have bought this sled in the first place. nearly everyone I know in CO rides technical terrain, trees... and doo was WAY behind IMO until this sled. It's moves like this that are making this sled stand out, rather than being the worst technical sled on the mountain.

Doo's have always stood out for some riding, but for that kind of thing they were behind... stepping up is a good thing. You may like the old style steering, but I have yet to see any of my doo buddies ride an XM & not like it.

Btw, it's not THE way... it's just the way that just about everyone I know prefers.

Last edited:
M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap

Jesus deaner, a little PMSie? A couple Midol should do the trick for ya ;) I must agree with BCIL, I don't know or have come across a single Doo rider who doesn't prefer the XM's post angle over the XP's garbage steering post angle. It has been unanimous from every XM rider I have spoken with. :face-icon-small-sho:shocked::welcome::puke::violin:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Honestly I'm sure there ARE people who prefer the laydown setup, even when given the choice... like deaner said, it really does come down to rider preference, even if one is (more) ideal for what we use the sleds for.

I don't care what Brett has to say, I just care about what feels good, and yesterday, DAYUM, this sled felt good!!!:cheer2::cheer2: It's all about what makes you smile!:D

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The XP and even moreso the XM has so much of the weight out front that (IMO) there are benefits to having the rider back to help "balance" the chassis. One of the complaints of the xp and the xm is it wanting to go uphill when sidehilling. I feel that is from too much weight on the skis, so the skis are able to dig in, while the rear washes out. Here is a nice vid of a properly setup and ridden old school 08' xp, the worst handling, unrideable, unsidehillable sled of all time. Notice bar and rider position. If the bars were forward with a straight post, i don't think the rider could get back far enough to allow THIS chassis layout to work.
Not trying to say the bars forward is inferior, only that they require different riding style and sled setup....and once a rider "gets it", either can work fine to do all the sidehilly and technical dangly crap a guy wants to do. :beer;:beer;
Enjoy the new sled BCIL, I like mine more every ride!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=XrubPF9stY4

Last edited:
Premium Features