• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Pants/Bibs for Mountain Riding?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I just wanted to let everyone know that the clearance Motorfist gear I ordered arrived today. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the gear (especially for the price). What a buy!
You are gonna be one stoked dude. That is some killer gear if you did the closeout trophy gear. I put many miles on in that stuff and still use it for doing firewood and stuff like that around the house.

I moved into the new freeride gear they got this year and am beyond stoked to ride in it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I just wanted to let everyone know that the clearance Motorfist gear I ordered arrived today. I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the gear (especially for the price). What a buy!
You are gonna be one stoked dude. That is some killer gear if you did the closeout trophy gear. I put many miles on in that stuff and still use it for doing firewood and stuff like that around the house.

I moved into the new freeride gear they got this year and am beyond stoked to ride in it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
And just as an FYI since it still seems to be uncommon knowledge. The eVent membrane based gear (motorfist) IS DESIGNED TO BE WASHED!!! I used to be under the impression that you don't want to ever wash it. FAKE NEWS! LOL. The pores in the membrane clog and reduce its ability to properly vent and maintain waterproofing. I do mine around every 10-20 rides. It helps a ton for maintaining proper gear function, and wearing gear that doesn't stink is pretty neat also.

http://motorfist.com/nikwax-wash-kits/20560-0103/product/

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
And just as an FYI since it still seems to be uncommon knowledge. The eVent membrane based gear (motorfist) IS DESIGNED TO BE WASHED!!! I used to be under the impression that you don't want to ever wash it. FAKE NEWS! LOL. The pores in the membrane clog and reduce its ability to properly vent and maintain waterproofing. I do mine around every 10-20 rides. It helps a ton for maintaining proper gear function, and wearing gear that doesn't stink is pretty neat also.

http://motorfist.com/nikwax-wash-kits/20560-0103/product/

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
How about Storm vs Rekon LTD

I'm also in the market for bibs and have narrowed it down to the Klim Storm or the Motorfist Rekon LTD. They seem about equal, I like the style and gators better on the Motorfist, but they are also more money. Anyone have both of these in there group?

P
Oct 5, 2018
Wilmington
Sorry for bumping...just my two cents...

For layering, my biggest issue has been controlling/venting self-generated moisture. In short, I pretty much sweat like a hog. You are probably more efficient on this front than me, so take the following with a grain of salt. Unless it is very cold/windy, I can't skin in a hard shell without soaking myself. Also, since I'm a bit of a curmudgeon on gear I will not buy a shell layer with insulation permanently attached.

So, basic set up:

Generic softshell pants. These get tucked into the velcro power straps on top of my ski boots so that snow does not get in them. Essentially a poor man's gaiter in this case. Since this generally means generic Shoeller type fabric, when cold out I will back up with a base layer underneath. Vents very well, but relatively poor wind & moisture resistance.

I always carry a set of hard shell pants with me. Not because I always need them, but as a 'just in case' item in the event I need to bivy/spend a lot of time helping someone else out. I will be the first to admit this is a 'Justin Case' decision, and one that others would evaluate differently.

I have an older super set of ArcTeryx bibs https://pro-sport-expert.com/best-ski-bibs/ that I take with me when I foresee wallowing around in deep snow. They have full zips on the legs, tough exterior, and weigh a ton. But they rock, are very tough to rip up, and pretty resistant to external moisture.

I have a much lighter set of PU coated hard shells that I carry with me on days where I don't foresee much wallowing in the snow, nice forecast days, etc. These are pretty much disposable items. They are pretty easily torn up (and patched), much lighter than the bibs but still have full zips on them.

So in the end, if I had decisions to make over again...

On YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help someone. Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nUPhI38-9c

Last edited:
Premium Features