• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IMPORTANT REMINDER...AXYS-MOUNTAIN SLEDS WITH CHAINCASES (ALL 3"-LUG FROM FACTORY)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'll be fixing a ProRide-Assault this weekend.... replacing a chaincase on a 2015 RMK... it had been changed to 20/44 gearing...After the gear swap... the owner never adjusted the chain and at the 700 mile mark, the chain/tensioner came apart.

The owner said he wondered what the noise was for the last 100 miles.
The adjuster slide finally came apart in multiple pieces from the slack/tight banging on it...probably happened, he said, when he put it in reverse and gave it some throttle. On the next climb after that, BAM.

Expensive repair and getting it off the mountain for him was a HUGE PITA.

Other than misadjusted chains, highly worn parts from high miles or lack of oil change I've never seen a chain fail... I HAVE seen chains fail, but the owner was in the end responsible due to lack of maint. I'm sure some minuscule amount of chain-drive fails have happened in the mountain sleds with proper maintenance... but they don't account for any significant numbers.... And I do not put snowcross machines into our discussion here for a reason.

Easy to avoid with proper maintenance.

Something all of you old timers probably know and practice regularly.

Last edited:
A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Took a look at my RMK Axys today. How would a person do a chaincase oil change without removing the chaincase cover? I only see the one access hole near the footwell, and I'm thinking that is the fill hole? Or do you drain there and fill where the jackshaft and brake assembly comes through, like a Skidoo?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Took a look at my RMK Axys today. How would a person do a chaincase oil change without removing the chaincase cover? I only see the one access hole near the footwell, and I'm thinking that is the fill hole? Or do you drain there and fill where the jackshaft and brake assembly comes through, like a Skidoo?

Your book..... Will tell you.

But there is a lower drain plug, and yes the one in the foot well is the filler, and yes its a PITA. I always drained mine, flipped it on its side, took cover off, checked the chain and gears and dumped in the oil and re assembled.

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
My cover comes off every time. You should always check your chain once a year. I replace mine every year. Cheap insurance.

Premium Features