• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help... 09 dragon 800 goes in limp mode?

J
Nov 20, 2012
One of my riding buddies has an 09 dragon 800 that runs great but at least twice a day when riding it goes into what I call limp mode. It doesn't kill but it's like in a stutter mode. He has to shut it off then restart and he is good to go! He has just gotten used to it but I was hoping somebody may have run into this before. Btw ... It's not getting hot or anything, just does it when it wants. The dealer doesn't know either why it's happening. Thx!

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
If the ECM sees detonation, first it turns on the engine light in the guage cluster. If the rider doesn't see it and back off the throttle (or ignores it), "limp" mode gets activated. The only way to reset that is to shut the sled down and restart. The first assumption I'll make is that the sled has no modifications (no pipe, head or can). Typically, if "limp" mode is being activated, the sled is running substandard fuel, has fuel with ethanol added but the ethanol fuel wires aren't in the proper configuration or there is a fuel mapping problem that will require an add-on fuel controller to correct. My own 800 would regularly activate the limp mode just before the exhaust valves would open (around 6800RPM). If I blasted right through that RPM, no problem. Likewise if I stayed well below it. No flash Polaris offered would correct it and it made little difference what fuel I used in it. My only option was to add a fuel controller and that allowed me to eliminate the problem entirely.

J
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks Rocket! This gives me some things to look into. The only modification he has is an slp can, and the dealer sold him a controller, a Dynojet 5 commander. It did seem to make slightly more power but sled still goes into limp mode alot. I need to check his fuel setting if he is running ethanol.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Thanks Rocket! This gives me some things to look into. The only modification he has is an slp can, and the dealer sold him a controller, a Dynojet 5 commander. It did seem to make slightly more power but sled still goes into limp mode alot. I need to check his fuel setting if he is running ethanol.

A quick way to diagnose the detonation issue is to add approx 1-2 gallons of RACE fuel into a full tank of reg 91 octane and go out and test drive it

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Kraven has a good suggestion about testing with a bit of race gas in the tank. If the problem disappears, then you know for sure its detonation. As far as the ethanol wires go, they do make a noticeable difference in fuel calibration. I will mention that I set my fuel controller map up around fuel with ethanol added and just left it alone. Sure, I was leaving a bit of HP on the table for those few times I didn't have fuel with ethanol added, but I felt it was better being "safe" and not having to guess what fuel I had in the tank. You mention the sled has a fuel controller on it - what map is running in it? Something that SLP provided or ?? Since the sled has a can, it could be possible the map was designed around a "stock" sled and the can is changing things just enough to create detonation. The good news is that with the fuel controller, you already have the tools in place to make adjustments if you need to.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Sounds like it may be hitting the rev limiter which they will do when the motor and clutches aren't loaded enough. Try adding a little more weight to the primary clutch.

J
Nov 20, 2012
He got the controller from our dealer so not sure what mapping is in it. I will check with them and maybe it can be remapped if necessary. I like the idea of adding some race gas, will see if that makes any difference. Also a good point to check his clutching, we were riding at low elevation last week and I'm sure he is using his mountain weights so it's going to WAY over rev.

I
Nov 26, 2007
dragon

Just another **** map from Polaris! I don't even remember what the map you're running was called (June?) anyway it was the best map for the low ed stumble but as you said goes into limp mode right around 6800. You definately need a controller to get the fuel figured out in this rpm range. I for one think the mapping from Polaris is just too sensitive and the sled is just fine! Running quick on the trails with a bunch of guys and the sled goes into limp mode can be a hair raising experience as your sleds power is cut and everyone else is running up your arse because you have to shut off your sled and re-start it (brilliant feature in the mapping) - NOT!!!!

I would reccommend starting with the cheapest and easiest possible solution. I had the exact same issue a few times and mine was fuel related. I never had an issue again with "limp mode" after I started running fresh clear gas. I have heard the det sensor is very sensitive to fuel quality.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I am having a similar issue with my 2010 800 Assault. I have the fix kit installed and a PCV. I only experience this problem at WOT. Peak rpms have hit 8350 according to the gauge. What is the rev limiter set at on these 800s? I dont think it was bad fuel as I ran through an entire tank before it happened. Never saw a DET light but when it falls on its face the Check Engine light blinks continuously and goes into "limp" mode until you shut it down and restart. Was gonna take it to the dealer but if someone thinks they can figure it out that would be much appreciated.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I am having a similar issue with my 2010 800 Assault. I have the fix kit installed and a PCV. I only experience this problem at WOT. Peak rpms have hit 8350 according to the gauge. What is the rev limiter set at on these 800s? I dont think it was bad fuel as I ran through an entire tank before it happened. Never saw a DET light but when it falls on its face the Check Engine light blinks continuously and goes into "limp" mode until you shut it down and restart. Was gonna take it to the dealer but if someone thinks they can figure it out that would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a rev limiter Soup... Throw some more weight at it, you should be running 68g down here, depending on what your clutching is setup like... My '12 Assault would do the same thing when I was toying with the clutching... It would register 8350-8400 but would go into limp mode. Add more weight and no more issues. That'd be the first thing I'd try.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Yeah that is the plan. Now I have a fuel pump whine. I'm hoping that changing the fuel filter will make it go away. I had 68s in it before but couldn't get rpms. Now I did the fix kit and may need to go back.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
I replaced the fuel filter last night and the fuel pump whine did not go away. I put the 68 gram weights in it as well but didnt get to ride it. I will take it for a short ride tonight to see what happens... Fuel pump is over $400 so my season may be over.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Well after changing the fuel filter and installing 68 gram weights I took it for a ride. At over 8000 rpms the check engine light comes on and if I let off it goes away but if i stay on the throttle it falls on its face and goes into limp mode with the check engine light blinking. The fuel pump is still whining. Does anyone think the fuel pump is crapping out on me and not delivering enough fuel at WOT causing a lean condition and DET? Im thinking I need a new fuel pump but I want some more opinions since it is so expensive. I want to make sure I will be fixing the problem. Any and all help is appreciated.

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Empty your tank and take a look at the fuel lines in your tank also. They have been known to rot away with certain fuels so no matter how hard your pump is working you will not be getting full fuel to your injectors.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Well MORSNO, you were right. Bad fuel lines. Installed new lines and took it for a ride and the whine slowly went away. Sled runs excellent now. Thank you everyone for your help!

Premium Features