• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rhino 650 reviews / actual use

M
Oct 11, 2009
MN
I lost my GPSmap 62 last year and looking at the GPSMap 64 or the Rhino 650. The tracking and radio system has a huge apeal to me. Anyone have issues with the touch screen in the cold or accuracy of the tracking system in the woods?

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
We use the rhino 650. The screen works great in cold weather even with gloves on for me. The tracking system works when everyone remembers to up date it. You have to push a button to update the other radios on your location. One of ours the battery is bad and will be dead even after charging it. Last year the rider that had that rhino was the one that got separated from the rest of us as the storm was coming. Lucky for use we where able to find his ski tracks and followed them to him. I do like the rhino but we all need more practice with them. Hope this helps

skierh2o

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Screens work great in the cold and with gloves as mentioned here as well!

I also had battery issues, turned out Garmin replaced my entire unit with another no charge (told it was a software issue) and they have been perfect the last couple of years... LONG battery life!

my only complaint is when mounted on the sled, vibration is an issue at idle ( as with all GPS units I've had) for truly accurate info. the sled needs to be off.

If you can get your riding buddies to buy Rhinos as well it is an excellent piece of hardware and piece of mind! I don't head in to the back country without it now!

Ryan

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Several of us in our riding group have the Rhino 650 or the 655T and both have been working great!!!

No issues with the touch screen in the cold, great battery life, easy to use, once you just take the time and play with it a little.

The radio portion works very well, clarity and range. The mapping and being able see the other riders in your group, once they update is a great feature!! We have had several instances where a rider or two have gone "MIA" for a bit and these things completely fix this issue!!! Once they tell you they are okay, the map is updated and you can direct yourself right to them.

The GPS tracking feature works great as well. We have had a couple instances where weather starts to roll in and we're in a newer place, no problem as you can track your way right back out.

A few of the guys in our group have Ram mounts for them and the rest of us just put them into a pocket. I personally keep mine in a Skinz handlebar bag and it fits just right. Doesn't bounce around and it's easy to get to. The guys running the Ram mount also run some kind of tether but no one has had an issue with the unit coming out either.

All in all, it's a great piece of equipment that I would recomend to any backcountry rider. Not only is it a piece of safety equipment that assists with getting home safe it also marks those great places we sometimes stumble across.

So two gloved thumbs up, you wont't be disapointed!

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
Tough to beat the Rhino's. I have used mine to find stuck buddies before, very handy when lost in the trees or with a large group that gets separated easily. Radio works great

The only bummer is access to the unit, maybe a mount is the answer. A set up like the BCA BC Link would be sweet on the Rhino's. I do have a cheap remote push button mic, not the most stout connection with that small mic jack. I'm always nervous it will break off and get stuck in the port.

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
One of the best investments our group has made! They paid for themselves our first trip out being able to communicate and track people.

I keep mine on a ram mount to the left of the speedometer on my Assault and tether it to my gauge lifter. Only broke it off once so far...and it took impaling a large pine pretty hard to do it! :face-icon-small-dis

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
One of the best investments our group has made! They paid for themselves our first trip out being able to communicate and track people.

I keep mine on a ram mount to the left of the speedometer on my Assault and tether it to my gauge lifter. Only broke it off once so far...and it took impaling a large pine pretty hard to do it! :face-icon-small-dis

Ahh yes, I do beleive I remember that...........ha ha

And yes, they are absolutley worth every penny!!!!

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I cracked my screen on the first day I used it. I really liked it up other than that.

M
Oct 11, 2009
MN
All - Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the honesty. My group is in atransition where most guys need to update GPS units and thought this would be a good option.

I saw a couple of comments on mounting. Do most of you mount on the bars or keep the unit in the pocket?

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
All - Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the honesty. My group is in atransition where most guys need to update GPS units and thought this would be a good option.

I saw a couple of comments on mounting. Do most of you mount on the bars or keep the unit in the pocket?

My screen cracked when it was in my inside jacket pocket. Most of our guys keep it in a handle bar bag, backpack or the glove compartment on a ski doo.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Been using Rihnos for years. Use it on every ride and its always on. We do 100% back country riding so we are always taking different routes. Mine is mounted on the bars, under the cross bar and its "tether" to the bar if it comes out of the mount. You can still roll the sled over to get unstuck with no worries about the GPS. Eric

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
The cabelas flyer has the for $329 right now. For the 650.

I have one. I like it and it works great. I leave it in my pocket. I have read that Garmin can replaced screens. I haven't to replace mine yet. I don't use mine for routing my way back. More just checking which way I need to head back.

I look at it more of a safety device in case me or my riding buds get separated from each other. I do have "I'm stuck" preprogrammed in the texting part. Haha

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Thats a SWEET deal! One of the lowest prices i have seen yet!

Great unit too! I use mine all the time - summer and winter. Has gotten me back to the trail in the fog many times too =)

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Dad and I bought ours last year. Took a little playing with to learn but wasn't bad. I really like all the features but I'm super disappointed in the range. Sometimes even less than a quarter mile away and they won't receive text and radio strength is hit and miss. We've been using them for hunting and has been pretty frustrating to say the least. The last time we used them it finally updated his position after he got in the truck beside me.I need to call Garmin. Could be just a setting... Just my experience.
Dan

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
The cabelas flyer has the for $329 right now. For the 650.

Wow, that's cheap: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-reg-Rino-GPS-Radio/1214167.uts

I have them, love them, probably my favorite new piece of gear last year.

We had radios before, which are great, but it sucks when the conversation is:

"I'm stuck."
"OK, Where?"
"By the tree."
"What tree?"

Sometimes it's a bit of a delay getting a position on someone, but most of the time it works pretty well. Being able to locate exactly where someone is saves a lot of time.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Love mine, trying to convince others to upgrade, or initially spend a touch more to get one. As all said above, features are awesome. Battery life is crazy good. 2-3 solid days usually. And, i carry the 4 AA back-up pack, loaded with lithium batteries incase (never needed it).

Supposedly, its rather important to calibrate it every day, so ive just got in the habit of doing that when the sleds warm up.

like the birdseye option as well, although also available on other models. Nice for looking for clearings/meadows that might be nearby. Only downfall i see with this is added/optional expense of mapping upgrades. But itll load all sorts of roads/trails etc.

Great to use hunting as well!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Love mine, trying to convince others to upgrade, or initially spend a touch more to get one. As all said above, features are awesome. Battery life is crazy good. 2-3 solid days usually. And, i carry the 4 AA back-up pack, loaded with lithium batteries incase (never needed it).

Supposedly, its rather important to calibrate it every day, so ive just got in the habit of doing that when the sleds warm up.

like the birdseye option as well, although also available on other models. Nice for looking for clearings/meadows that might be nearby. Only downfall i see with this is added/optional expense of mapping upgrades. But itll load all sorts of roads/trails etc.

Great to use hunting as well!

Calibrate? As in the touch screen or something else?

I have the landowner chip for choosing and hunting.
That's a HUGE help when hunting in checkerboard land.

Communicating with other people and seeing where they are is just great.

Premium Features