• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha's Future

S

SnoDay

Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota
Found this an interesting read on what Yamaha claims to have planned. For those of you who think they're packing up shop it doesn't sound like it at all sounds like they aim to get serious in these next couple years. Doesn't look too great for the mtn guys unfortunately but maybe they'll focus there eventually too. From what I got out of it this "partnership" with Cat will be short lived - only couple years to get by and then they will be back with their own chassis. They also state that they have a couple new engines coming out soon and I'm not even a Yamaha guy and am excited for that. In the mean time as far as trail sleds go I know its not a Yam chassis technology etc. but it is durable with fantastic geometry. The race results prove that so its a good short term partnership to get them back in the game imo. Mostly just saying I think ppl are overreacting just a bit to this deal with Cat and Yam its a SHORT term thing not a buyout, merger whatever.

http://www.snowgoer.com/snowmobile-...xecutives-lend-perspective/0222/#.USf-waXvt8E

M
Jan 14, 2004
Sounds to me like all their customers will be long gone by the time they get that plan done. Mighta been a good idea to start that 5 year plan 8 years ago. I'm thinking that conference was all about damage contol.

M5

C
Feb 23, 2009
viper

i think these new viper sleds will be the end ofthe only thing they have left DEPENDABILITY!

i love my yamaha and will probably never buy another ,may have to go to e-tec i also love my evinrude outboard.

D
Oct 26, 2009
Im willing to wait. My Apex will run five more years. Cant believe its dependability.
In the mean time a 162 on that viper xtx would be sweet.
Arctic cat builds a good chassis. Engines and clutch dependability are a different issue.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I think you've been misinformed on the engines.

Cat owner enjoy very dependable motors. I haven't heard of any 1,100 go down. Their two strokes are by far the most dependable.

Owen

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Cat owner enjoy very dependable motors. I haven't heard of any 1,100 go down. Their two strokes are by far the most dependable.

Owen

Yup, the suzuki engines used by AC are dependable.....and that supply of suzuki engines to AC will end in 2015.

You can't have a junk sled AND a junk engine. Thats why AC now needs yamaha.

Last edited:
D
Oct 26, 2009
I suppose any 800 motor that makes it past 2000 miles without blowing up is dependable. Arctic Cat wins. Dependability of 2 stroke 800s is not high on the priority list of buyers. We are willing to buy sleds that we know will have engine problems. Snowest has never had the dependability challenge.

S

SnoDay

Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota
Wow pretty negative so to all you Yam guys who apparently can't wait anymore (don't blame you) go buy a skidoo or pro whatever and then in 5 years when Yam gets their sh!t together buy one again and be on top. I only started this thread to put a little positive on the situation Yamaha is at and looking at many variables (customer loyalty and appreciation clearly NOT one) it makes sense. Only saying this bcz I work as an engineer and personally know how frustrating it is to have the ability (not me, my company) to create amazing machines but have no management support bcz they direct engineering/customer product. And you guys for one should know Yam stuff is rock solid so the nerds are good at their job they just lack the higher level support to get you a great sled. But like I said earlier I think that is SLOWLY (hopefully fast) going to change. Just don't trade your gear with the sled maybe. Sorry if I pissed anyone off this is all my opinion maybe I'm wrong. Feel free to rip on me for hoping for a better industry.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
not negative just the truth, they waited way to long & prob dont get more than 5% of the mountain share + are laughed at by most when called a mtn sled.its pretty bad when sw wont even invite them to the deep snow challenge.i love my nytro but for most they dont have the money to make them work right.i really hope they get there $hit together because i love my yammi stuff & thats what i want to ride,but if they dont catch up i will move on as will the rest.if you have been doing a ****ty job the only way you will improve is if people tell yah,well guess they have been told.oh & you wont find a much more loyal yammi guy than me,thats all i own & 20 years on yammi sleds:face-icon-small-sho

Last edited:

TRIPLESWILLNEVERDIE!

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2008
Northwest, MT
Im still hanging in there waiting for Yami to build a real mountain sled. I am prepared to ride my modded out old reliable mountain maxes till 2016.
If Yamaha has nothing available to suit my needs at that time then I'll buy a new YZ450f and go snowbiking. :face-icon-small-coo

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I want a Yami triple turbo in a Proclimb chassis.....

And I'm confident they will built one. I enjoy my 1,100 T now with three year warranty, but if I can get one in with a Yami engine and the same warranty I'll get that.
So you Yami/cat engineers get cracking. We'll buy a ton of them...........That's more than one , right?

Owen

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Yamaha's future

I think this could be the best thing to happen to the Yamaha mountain line up since the '91 Phazer come out with a 136" track. I've been a loyal Yamaha guy since 1982 mainly because of reliability. I know it's odd for them to be combining with another company, but we will get over that.

This quote from SnoGoer says it all for me.

Next, any product that bears the name Yamaha meets Yamaha’s quality, dependability, reliability [QDR]. Let’s just say that right up front. No matter where it’s built, what product, anywhere in the world, it must meet our QDR and that is the most essential part of Yamaha’s DNA.”

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I suppose any 800 motor that makes it past 2000 miles without blowing up is dependable. Arctic Cat wins. Dependability of 2 stroke 800s is not high on the priority list of buyers. We are willing to buy sleds that we know will have engine problems. Snowest has never had the dependability challenge.

Really? "we" are willing to buy sleds that we know will have engine problems? speak for yourself, personally i am not.

D
Oct 26, 2009
When I say we I mean sledders in general. Polaris and Ski doo sales dont lie! You have to remember I dont care to be number one up the hill.
If i did I would not have owned Yamaha sleds for the past 14 years that are all stock. Mountain max, Viper mountain and Apex mountain.
I consider them all awesome sleds in their own respects.
None of these sleds without mods are number one up the hill, but what a great bunch of sleds. With a little tuning and tweeking however they are all respectable. Quit whining and just go enjoy riding.

Premium Features