• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My take on some Axys rpm/poer loss.

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
I had the issue of low rpm and severe power loss all last season. Mine would act weird, it wouldn't rev up until you got about 4 or 5 miles on it and it would pull through the bottom rpm range but lacked top end, 600's would outrun it. It would shift out and pull 8000 rpm and slowly creep to 8150. I know I saw 8300 a couple times but never consistently. A few times it would make that lean bog stumble in mid range, and even at higher rpm it would almost give you that lean sound back through the airbox intakes. I'm running the stage three SLP setup and I can't get the rpm out of it even with the stock clutching. I've tried lighter weights and stiffer springs without any increase in rpm. It felt really weak on top end.

I've had a dealer look at it and they "fixed" it and I was told to possibly run Avgas to help it. They told me it was retarding timing and adding more fuel. I tried it when I got it back and it wasn't fixed. The repair was covered under warranty, that's fine it just wasn't fixed. I know of one other person that has the same problems. Silly me, I get sucked into the internet and I've checked all the "problems" that are out there. I even tore it down to inspect the pistons and cylinders it's all good and within spec.

I got it all together and ran it on the stand. I got it warmed up and started to give it throttle in the mid range and it leaned out and bogged. It still wouldn't turn up either. That got me to think the only thing I didn't check were the crank seals.

I found the mag seal was leaking. The crank on the Axys is really dry. If you look inside one there isn't a lot of oil and gas mix sitting in the lower ends. You're not going to get a lot of fluid running out, it's primarily oil that's going to leak out so you won't get that sloppy residue coming out. I should have know when my starter rope was oily and I had the occasional lean bog and a high idle even after checking and setting the TPS.

I'm not saying that's everybody's problem but I think that is a culprit for some of us. It has a little lower idle now and I rode it a little bit this last month on a short little stretch, I really think I have it fixed. I'll post more info when I get to actually ride it.

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
The Mag seal is pretty protected and it would be hard to get the spray in there. I think you'd notice a difference if you did spray around it, there's probably enough vapor that it would eventually get sucked in.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Those new 2018 updates include:
800 H.O. Cleanfire Engine Update
New thermostat provides:
- Lower operating temperature, 110 degrees F (43.3º C) vs. 125 degrees F (51.6º C) for improved overheat margin and more consistent engine operation.
- Increases main circuit flow by 12 percent; increases bypass flow 9 percent.
- New thermostat will come on all 2018 snowmobiles with the 800 H.O. Cleanfire engine.
More durable exhaust gas temp sensor (EGT) providing more than 200 percent life improvement:
- Improved connector
- More durable sensing element
- Matched to new ECU
Sealed cross-shaft cavity crankcases provide additional lubrication and increased durability on both 600 and 800 H.O. Cleanfire engines.
Improved MAG end seal provides better sealing and increased durability on both 600 and 800 H.O.

RMK Monotube Shock Updates
MY18 RMK Monotube Shocks will feature all new valving with “Hi Flow” Walker Evans pistons on the front suspension and rear track shock that delivers less bottoming in the big bumps while maintaining a supple feel on the trail.

Polaris was looking at crank seals also

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
Just got back from a quick rip, 20 miles or so. The sled pulls up quicker and pulls decent rpm, like 8200 wide open. I'm still fighting something else. I back out to 3/4 throttle or so and it instantly goes to 8350-8400 rpm and accelerates. Give it full throttle and it goes back to 8150-8200. I don't know if I'm dealing with a defective TPS or a detonation issue. I'm not getting any codes so I'll inspect the TPS system again.

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
My sled does exact same thing I've checked tps and adjusted twice its right on .7 base and .940 idle. But I'm going to check wide open voltage tonight. There's other threads where guys with the same issue are seeing over 4.30 volts wide open. I think it needs to b around 4.25 but I'm not sure how to fix it other than trying another tps sensor or limiting the throttle from opening past 4.25 volts. Anyone with some insight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
My sled does exact same thing I've checked tps and adjusted twice its right on .7 base and .940 idle. But I'm going to check wide open voltage tonight. There's other threads where guys with the same issue are seeing over 4.30 volts wide open. I think it needs to b around 4.25 but I'm not sure how to fix it other than trying another tps sensor or limiting the throttle from opening past 4.25 volts. Anyone with some insight.

I think limiting the throttle opening may be a fix. I believe the throttle plates going past 90 degrees is not the problem regarding airflow rather its the extra voltage from the tps like your suspecting. I have read about throttle bodies getting replaced due to loose shaft fit affecting the tps.

I do not know the magic numbers needed however my 17 has 4.179 according to DW and revs easily over 8400. Previous ride was 4.21 and liked 8350

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
Ok just checked my wide open voltage tonight at 4.22 volts. My idle is still at .945 didn't check base again yet but I set it before last ride at .70 and my idle is still where I set it. So is 4.22 too much? I can run it on the stand or trail and have it do the 80% run strong then give it the rest and you can hear it suck more air but sled falls to 8000. But those are the only times I notice the throttle issue if I'm climbing I've never noticed it other than it won't pull more than 8000. I'm thinking of trying a 60/40.40 or 62/42.40 that I have laying around I've read some say it isn't getting loaded enough?? Then if that don't do anything its going to dealer. Frustrating!!

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
I'm running the magnum weights at 63.6 grams( 2 set screws 1 lock screw) blue/pink spring stock secondary cam and spring. I was going to replace my tps too just so I know I'm starting with a "good" one.

Yesterday I was between 5600' and 6000'. I'm about 240 and the sled is a 163 2.6". I was thinking a lighter setup(2 setscrews instead of 3) might work better. I had a good base with about 3" of fluff on top.

Last edited:

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I'm running the magnum weights at 63.6 grams( 2 set screws 1 lock screw) blue/pink spring stock secondary cam and spring. I was going to replace my tps too just so I know I'm starting with a "good" one.

Yesterday I was between 5600' and 6000'. I'm about 240 and the sled is a 163 2.6". I was thinking a lighter setup(2 setscrews instead of 3) might work better. I had a good base with about 3" of fluff on top.

Forgot about your power loss at Elevation. Down here at sealevel these things are pulling 70 grams stock at 8350.

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
Did a quick check of my TPS voltage at lunch. I didn't check base voltage, no time. Idle position sits between .938 and .940, WOT is only 4.19 volts consistently. I'll check my throttle plates later to see if they're going past horizontal. Also I have a new TPS to install.

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
Tore mine down again. Checked voltage and reset base .7 idle .940 wide open is 4.20 everything checks out. Looked at my throttle plates they are not going past 90 degrees when wide open. I've checked exhaust valves all three stages work I unhooked cable made sure it wasn't broke and that they opened freely and between 16 and 18mm of movement. I had motor mounts replaced before season even started. Don't know what else to try? Dropped it at dealer this morning fingers crossed.

R
Feb 18, 2008
Helena, MT
My belt deflection is in spec. For grins last night I measured my primary button side clearance. Two of the tower/slide clearances are within spec, one at 0.002" and the other is a tight 0.004". The third one is 0.007", way out of spec. Maybe at full shift it's bound and won't back shift until you let out of the throttle to let it backshift and I'm fighting that. I'm definitely tightening things up. This is a '17 sled with 500 miles on it!!

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
You can look at my posting history for what I've went through with my 16 Axys 163x3. It was doing what yours sounds like, although with mine I could see the butterflies opening past 90 degrees. It's under warranty, and Polaris finally replaced throttle bodies, TPS, and injectors on warranty. I haven't tried it since that.

Premium Features