• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Summit 800r ***more clutch problems***

A
Nov 23, 2006
Anchorage
had final update done about 4 weeks ago, took it out for the first ride a few weeks ago and it ran like chit. I could not get the sled past 7400 rpm on clicker 6, speed was a lousy 60-63 mph and this is all on the hard pack. Thank god there was no hills to climb or any real deep powder because it was not going to perform. I took it back to AMDS to see what the hell was going on with my sled. They told me that my primary imploaded and I need a completely new primary ( warranty of course ) It has now been over two weeks that my sled has been down there and they are still waiting on one part that was a "special order" and there is no eta. He also told me that the parts alone are at 839.00 and with all the labor it will be over 1100. Geez they could have just wrote me a check and let me get my own, at least I would have it up and running by now probably with a better clutch. He said I am getting a 07 primary that is correct and not the one that needed the update and special buttons and that all of the parts being installed in the new primary are upgraded and much better quality as they dont want to see my sled back.

If this is true and I get a better clutch than what I had when I bought the lemon I will be happy. If I get it fixed and see 8300 rpm, no hot clutch, no premature worn belts I will be ecstatic. I have a feeling that what happened to my primary after the "fix" is a rare problem but it will happen to more guys as I just got off the phone with a friend and his buddys 800r just had his primary implode after he had the new update to the clutch.

I paid so much money for this sled and it has now been in warranty for over 3 months of its 11 month old life, and thats including sitting in my garage with the cover on it for 5 months.

I JUST WANT A SLED THAT WORKS, IS THAT SO HARD ????

N
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Lake
I understand your frustrations. When you pay that much money, you expect something to work right the first time, especially when the season can be so short. I just bought a 07 xrs and my father has an 07 adrenaline. No issues yet for either one, though I haven't even ridden my sled yet so we will see, but I am anticipating no issues. Dad put about 400 miles on his last year with not one hiccup. Wish the best with this new clutch and hope you do not miss too many days due to this.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
i dont mean to be a pessimist neversummer, but my sled ran for about 400 miles last year without a hiccup before it all went south. I hope you had better luck than me.

tinner - did you by chance check to see if team CC had the parts?

N
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Lake
Whatever the case maybe, my father hasn't had an issue with his sled. And the guy who I just bought mine from seems to have very high standards for the care of his sleds. I am not wearing a blindfold, but I am also not putting energy in to my sled blowing up this season. From the last SW forum it seems people at the very beginning of the season were touting the 07's as the best sled made and the challenger lite track the best invention yet. Then as the season wore on it seemed some people got off the band wagon and felt used by ski-doo. Fast forward to this season and the same thing is happening with the xp's. I often wonder how much of the hoopla is just b.s. in both directions. It also seems as though some guys are so "in tune" with their sleds that there is infidelity, and I do not know if I care that much about 200 rpms. What I care about is being able to pull start my sled and not have any issues with it. Again whatever your case maybe, I plan on riding this year with no intentions of having clutch problems. You on the other hand may full well expect a litany of problems with your sled, which I wish you the best of luck.

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Got 1700 miles on my 07 X.She's been back to the dealer 3 times for updates,last time in September.Dont have any snow to test her out but I'm hoping they got it right this time.Other than clutching and maybe the track I'm pretty much satisfied:)

A
Nov 23, 2006
Anchorage
I really doubt Team CC would have this part as its a special order and AMDS cant even seem to get it.

If you were not in 5' of snow going straight up a MT you probably would or will not know you have clutch problems.

Every guy I have talked to out on the trail or at Ski Doo that has had the "new" update done has been very happy with their 07 800R and they are seeing full rpm's that are not fluctuating. So, it would seem that the new update is working, time will tell but im very happy im getting rid of that old clutch and hope to have a great winter with this sled. In the meantime I bought a 06 M7 for a back up sled so I wont lose any weekends.

CAN YOU BELIEVE I BOUGHT A 10,000 SLED JUST TO HAVE TO BUY A SPARE SLED SO I DO NOT MISS ANY WEEKENDS ? WHAT A SHAME AND A WASTE OF MONEY just shows how desperate some of us are to get out of the house and enjoy our weekend.

I have heard of many 800r owners say they have xxxxxx miles with zero problems and thats awesome, good for them but....seems strange that I have run into probably 20 800r's ( 2007 that is ) and EVERY one of them has the same problem with their clutches. I guess all of the Summits sent to Alaska were an early production model sent out before they knew there was a problem. I have heard that VIN #'s play a role into what might be going on with that particular sled including clutch issues, and bad cranks. That is second hand information that I cannot validate and is all internet chat.

Rode the M7 this past weekend and its a very nice sled that runs great but must admit that even with the clutch problems I have had it does not compare to my 800r in any way, shape or form. I could ride like a bat outta hell on my summit through the trails and bumps and when I was pushing the M7 I was out of control most of the time and even with off the trail a few times. I do not have any confidence at high speeds with this sled on the trail or carving. Some might say that its because I'm not used to it yet and give it a chance and that very well may be true but then again I have yet to really ride my Ski Doo this winter so im kinda new to any sled at the beginning of this winter. Both great sleds but ill take my 800r with a cherry on top please !!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
A good dealer would pull a new clutch off an inventory sled and get you on the snow.
Did you see the clutch? i am curious what "imploded" means.

I
It is all in the set up. I had issues at first also. I fixed mine last year with an after market spring and updates. I took mine in again for the last updates and with only 300 miles one of the rollers had already gone bad. I had last years update done and they did a horrible job. They didn't even clean the clutches when they had them apart. Thats Jason at Poulson's for you. I am running the 44-40 Helix and my buddy the straight 44. After last years update I did not even ride it one time befroe we opened it back up to see what they did and change the spring. We both had the hollow pins so I knew I would need more weight but tried it out anyways. Buddies worked great I was overrevying even in clicker one. When in for this last up date I asked Jason to add a 2 to 3 grams of weight which seemed beyond his ability. He did not want to do anything out of what Doo recommends. Great dealer. He said I should do it myself. You wonder why we now rebuild our motors ourselves! i would have paid him since he had the clutches already apart. Same dealer I called this week looking to buy some XP's and got no call back.
Figured they would have some because they suck so bad. Back to the clutch.
I added quick clickers and headed to Revy with the new updates. The spring we were running in not a Doo and a yellow aftermarket. Soft to start maybe (100lbs and stiff to finish maybe 320lbs. Even on clicker one i was over revying on turbo hill. Pulled very strong but up out of the power band and WOT. even as ti was it had the highmark on turbo Thursday. No Yammy turbos around,lol. Dropped it off for Turbo AL to work his magic at the Sled Shed in Revy. If you XRS is not running good call Turbo AL he will hook you up. He added 3 grams of weight to my hollow pins and swaped out my spring. He did not want to add weight to a spring he was not familiar with so he put in a DOO spring. I do not remember the colors but I think it was yellow blue but he said it was stiffer to start then what i had, 130lbs and softer to finish 280lbs. Told me to ride it and let him know what I though. Had a killer day at Keystone and the sled ripped. In Clicker #3 it was about dead on if not over Revying slightly. Highest elevetion was about 7500 feet and was pulling 8400 to maybe 8500 at the lower elevations. I will run in #2 next time and see what is does. I made hard pulls all day with no belt issues thought the clutches were hot. I will be adding vents shortly to move more air. I am still on the orginal belt and it looks fine. Carry two back ups but have not needed them. I am very happy with this set up. Als spring seemed to work better then what I had down low and for boondocking. I think it let the motor rev out more on the top end but that is not an issue with the quick clickers. I have plenty of adjustment for higher elevations. Call Turbo Al at the Sled Shed in Revy to buy your parts. He lives and rides in the mountains and knows what works. His knowledge about setting up all sleds for the mountains is top notch. He is a wealth of information that all the manufactures should be tapping. Also a great guy.

PS- His "Thing" cans rock!

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
might not be the rave valves

I just rode mine for the first time since the update and had the same sympton and my rave valve hoses are hooked up- the clutch supposedly worked ok last year, The belt appears to be holding doing fine. Put on about 70 miles just cruising around and an hour or so playing in about 3 ft of powder. I will take it in next week and see what the mechanic has to say..

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
rave hoses

Thanks, but the hoses on my rave valves are all about 1/4 in od, and are tied off with zip ties. You can see the bulge of the nipple through them and they are tight. I thought I looked them over pretty well, but I will double check.

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
check the pressure line coming in on the mag side rave selonoid. it is too big for the nipple. it is attached above and to the mag side carb. it comes in horizontally right near the overflow bottle. for reference...the pto selonoid does not have a hose attached to it at this point. make sure this has at least a worm drive clamp on it. the factory crimp clamp will not hold it tight enough to keep it from leaking.

not sure if this is your prob or not, but it is at least one thing to check.

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
works great now..

Ok, I looked over all the hoses on the rave valves and they are were all tight, Then I decided that I should probably clean both the primary and driven clutches and see what what was going on inside. I think that the dealer was a bit lazy and didn't clean the clutches while it was apart- imiagine that?? Anyway, I put it all together, set the driven height right at the cord and fired her up. Totally different sled! Set in clicker 3 it was running right at 8100 rock steady and plenty of poop. I played with the clickers a bit and they changed the rpm exactly as advertised. The snow was a bit heavy and it was really hooking up. Will run right at 70 with 19/47 gearing and was climbing everything with no problems. If it keeps running like this it will be a good year!

P
Dec 6, 2007
were most of the clutch problems in the 07 151" ?????? only one guy in our group bought an 07 800r 144" cleaned the clutches good before he rode and had no problems this far i bought an 07 800r 144" this year has a couple hundred miles on it previous to me owning seems to run fine so far the little bit ive putted around on it havnt switched it over for altititude yet wanted to ride it around here first is there anything for me to worry about if i clean the clutches up good when i tear them apart or is the problem in the 144s just as much as the 151s reason i ask is if i remember right i remember hearing last year that the problem was mainly in the 151s ????????? what do you guys think

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
were most of the clutch problems in the 07 151" ?????? only one guy in our group bought an 07 800r 144" cleaned the clutches good before he rode and had no problems this far i bought an 07 800r 144" this year has a couple hundred miles on it previous to me owning seems to run fine so far the little bit ive putted around on it havnt switched it over for altititude yet wanted to ride it around here first is there anything for me to worry about if i clean the clutches up good when i tear them apart or is the problem in the 144s just as much as the 151s reason i ask is if i remember right i remember hearing last year that the problem was mainly in the 151s ????????? what do you guys think

No, the clutches are all exactly the same regardless of track length.

J
Nov 27, 2007
Pocatello Idaho
2007 summit X 800R 159 Track

I am runing a parigon cluch and geared sled down it runs in hill clicker one and two at 8000 to 10,000 geet 8100 RPM's email jkbeal@cableone.net if you are interested cluch ingages at 3000 RPMS best bone docking sled and climbing sled I have owned.

Attachments

• 2007 Rev 800R 159 Tracl-1.jpg
    2007 Rev 800R 159 Tracl-1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 80
W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
The hose on top of the carbs on the mag side is notorious for coming off and it is very difficult to see. DOUBLE CHECK IT!!!

2Walla, not trying to say you don't know your business but I have seen this a lot. It feels like someone stuffed a rag in the exhaust pipe @ around 7500 RPM.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
it wasnt the hose

Thanks WFO, I did double check mine. The infamous rave nipple on mine is really on there solid and sealed tightly. I think my problem was that the dealer put the clutch back together dirty. Keeping the belt height in the secondary appears to be a bit more critical than on my 03 summit too. I haven't had the chance to get it into 3' of fluffy powder again so maybe it will act up again? I can see that the clutch/belt will probably continue to be a weak point on these sleds as it is apparantly obvious that there is not enough air intake or exhaust area to properly keep things cool under extended hard running. Drilling a bunch of holes/vents may help, but there is no substitute for a good initial design.

Premium Features