• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cylinder Scoring

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just doing a some yearly check up with my bore scope. Here is what the backs of my cylinders are looking like on my turbo sled. The motor is a fresh rebuild as of last year by SHR. It was easily twice the turbo sled after BJ and friends sent it back. I did however have a problem with my fuel controller and experienced a few lean runs and pops. Does this look like serious damage or am I being too paranoid? I did finally figure out the fueling problem. A bad RAVE sensor was shorting out my electronics. Fixed that at the end of last year and everything is back to being peachy. Compression is still spot on.

Any advice is appreciated!

Snap_001.jpg Snap_002.jpg

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Damn

That's kind of what I figured

How easy is it to do the top end with the engine in the sled? I've done one on a ptek it wasn't too bad so I'm assuming about the same

X
Oct 8, 2009
That looks like it is from water ingestion. Is it on the intake side? If it has compression and it runs, I would ride it. I had similar scuffs from sucking snow through the turbo and rode the sled to 2500 miles. It may last, or you may start losing compression. Rideability depends on compression. Nikasil can look rough and not be that bad to the touch.

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Yes this on the intake side. I'm going to take a peak at the backs of the Pistons when I get a chance and maybe see if I can sneak my finger in there without pulling the heads.

I took it for a ride Sunday. The thing just runs great. I had two little bogs/pops but I also have old fuel in there.

As far as water inhalation, it could have happened before I put my cold air on but I think it is highly more suspect that maybe it got too hot on a big pull I did riding double last spring. I got to the top and it acted like it wanted to die (sticking?) Took me a bit to get it started at the bottom again. Could that scuffing be from a lean condition?

BJ says send it over for a quick work over and some new porting... Hard to take it apart when it works so good:face-icon-small-ton

Don't want to get stranded this year though. New 175 for back up though

X
Oct 8, 2009
I am not there to see everything in person to say much more than I have said. To me, if the compression is good ride it. The piston will mirror the cylinder. If it was bad seize, it would likely test lower compression and/or have other signs of damage in the skirts or ringlands. There could be several reasons why a sled would lose power and be hard to start like you described. I have seen electrical issues display similar symptoms. Your description isn't enough to say a spring ride caused the scuffing.

Also, I would not port a turbo motor. I know a lot of engine builders who spent a lot of R and D time and money researching it. Their conclusion was the performance gains and losses do not justify the cost. Turbo engines behave differently and benefit from lower port timing and different port velocities than an NA motors. However, if you want to do it. Make sure to find someone who has real data to back up their claims. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money for without realizing useable HP and instead get some peak number you see for 5% of your riding.

Last edited:
Premium Features