• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OIL RATIO DISCUSSION ON THE 800 CFI MOTORS

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Just a thought; then seal it all and develope the correct amount to make the bearings live a happy life, shout the air up the transfer port and you now have the best of both worlds, oil bath crank and still a 2 stroke (cycle). anyway not yet convinced but done being stupid here, thanks for the info guys

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
So with all of this oil ratio talk and talk of turning up oil pumps, has there been lots of motor trouble from lack of oil or is this just the idea that there will be trouble down ther road?

When there was the oil line update, (I am not sure what exactly it was) did that change the oil ratio? Is that allowing more oil in then?

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
So with all of this oil ratio talk and talk of turning up oil pumps, has there been lots of motor trouble from lack of oil or is this just the idea that there will be trouble down ther road?

When there was the oil line update, (I am not sure what exactly it was) did that change the oil ratio? Is that allowing more oil in then?

the oil line update was just a rerouting and fastening of the oil feed line to the oil injection pump.it was possibble that the oil line could kink and stop oil flow to the pump.did not change ratio

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
ya we are so used to bitchin and with the pro there is so little to bitch about we are now wanting to spend more on oil, go figure

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Just a thought; then seal it all and develope the correct amount to make the bearings live a happy life, shout the air up the transfer port and you now have the best of both worlds, oil bath crank and still a 2 stroke (cycle). anyway not yet convinced but done being stupid here, thanks for the info guys

Good thought... but how is the air going to get pumped into the cylinder with the case sealed?

two-stroke_c.gif

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
This is a good time for those that are just checking out the last page to read the whole thread.

Thanks for the PM's... but most of your questions are already part of this thread.

I agree- even if you are not a big motor person there is some great reading here. Wish I had noticed it before it got 3 pages long!

Thanks for all the input on all of my questions......

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
there has been many attempts at doing this, the problem is, the crankcase is the intake of the motor..A 2 stroke is really a 4 stroke in all reality..its just doing 2 strokes on top of the piston..and 2 under the piston..the crankcase acts as the intake system of a 4 stroke, with the piston being the valve, and the cases being the manifold...someday someone will figure out a reliable way to isolate the crank from the piston(closing the crank off from the bottom of the piston) which will allow almost zero oil for the top end..just enough to keep the piston/cylinders lubed and still have enough case volume to feed the hp level we need from the cc of the motor......but until then..we have to throw oil at them....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Good thought... but how is the air going to get pumped into the cylinder with the case sealed?

two-stroke_c.gif
technically eric, your sketch is off...not much air volume in the case itself..(the crank throws take up most of that area..the flow goes up the cylinder with the piston..then as the piston comes down it pushes it back up the transfers....(hence the reason a normal carbed/injected motor with injectors pointed into the reeds gets air/fuel(and oil if premixing)into the wrist/rod bearings..and cools the underside of the piston...and why the pro doesnt..the injectors dont inject until the air is pushing up the transfers on the way to the top of the piston...

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK

As of late I know two pros that have lost a PTO Rod Bearing this season. Both 2011s. One had 1500 miles and the other had around 900 miles. Both completely stock.
IMO I think they lost these bearings due to the lack of lubrication. I cranked up my Oil pump 3 turns on my 11 and didn't on my 12 yet at the beginning of the season. I was seeing if I was going to have any run-ability issues as far as fouling plugs or throttle response issues with the increased oil injection. So far no issues at all. I will be turning up my pump on my 12 ASAP. I want my motors to last a little longer than that:)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
As of late I know two pros that have lost a PTO Rod Bearing this season. Both 2011s. One had 1500 miles and the other had around 900 miles. Both completely stock.
IMO I think they lost these bearings due to the lack of lubrication. I cranked up my Oil pump 3 turns on my 11 and didn't on my 12 yet at the beginning of the season. I was seeing if I was going to have any run-ability issues as far as fouling plugs or throttle response issues with the increased oil injection. So far no issues at all. I will be turning up my pump on my 12 ASAP. I want my motors to last a little longer than that:)
Die hard....I agree up to a point that some of the bearing issues are oil related..(not enough flow)but I also think it has to do with guys clutching a little light...and not that it is light enough to over rev when the track is in the snow...but when they are airing it out...the locals I know who have gotten bearings..all are very agressive riders,all run custom clutching, all air them out regularly and all rev them pretty tight...when combined with low oil flow..I think it is a recipe for disaster... I also think it is imperative on the pro to keep off the gas for a few minutes after stopping..I see a lot of riders fire and go and back hard in the throttle right after a stop..

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
Weekend Results!!

OK...just finished fueling and oiling my 800 and the wife's 600 PRO's after a great couple days in BC deep POW....and, the results are very interesting;

My 800 which has the adjuster screw turned up by 3 turns is running approx 50:1 and the wife's 600 with NO adjustment from the factory settings is running approx 100:1

Thoughts????

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
OK...just finished fueling and oiling my 800 and the wife's 600 PRO's after a great couple days in BC deep POW....and, the results are very interesting;

My 800 which has the adjuster screw turned up by 3 turns is running approx 50:1 and the wife's 600 with NO adjustment from the factory settings is running approx 100:1

Thoughts????

your wifes 600 is WAY leaner than my wifes 600 etech(70:1) I think the etech with their electronic controlled oil pumps gives even more oil usage when you go more WOT.does anybody know of the 11 pros are beginning to grenade with more milage on them?

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
your wifes 600 is WAY leaner than my wifes 600 etech(70:1) I think the etech with their electronic controlled oil pumps gives even more oil usage when you go more WOT.does anybody know of the 11 pros are beginning to grenade with more milage on them?

To the best of my knowledge...even the mechanically controlled pump delivers more oil with increased throttle. Maybe my wife just needs to hit WFO more often:D:D

Premium Features