• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheap/free mods for the m series sleds

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
As Arctic2009 mentioned, none of these mods are going to be cheap, but here are some of the common things guys are going to save rotational mass.

Port track, as mentioned.
BDX Lightweight recoil
BDX lightweight brake rotor
BDX lightweight track shaft
BDX - I believe their gears are lighter when you do the lightweight diamond drive kit?
Fastrax P85 primary clutch conversion

After that I think you have to look inside the engine for additional savings, and if you think anything above is expensive (per pound of savings), going internal is going to make it seem cheap.

Yes bdx gears are lighter, you can buy just their gears and put them in your gearcase. Instead of having to buy their whole case, and not have a speedometer anymore. well with the 05-06 case anyway..

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Gut the hood and put a piece of prefilter material over the stock air horn. Works better than a timbersled intake.

unless your hood is sealed up good or u don't ride in any real fluffy powder i don't recommend this. i tried it once and ruined one of the best powder days we had that season. my hood has vents in the center and the nose is not sealed up tight which allowed the fine powder to get through and with that one small opening into the airbox the air had enough velocity that it sucked the snow right through the prefilter. the sled wouldn't run and when i pulled the prefilter off the air box was chuck full of ice and water. i've heard of people doing it successfully like you state but in my expeience its a no go. some of the people who had success also cut some extra holes in the top of the air box with prefilter over them and that might be the ticket to keeping the velocity down enough it doesn't pull the snow through. I later added vents in the dash by the speedo and cut and added more prefilter area to the plenum under the headlights and haven't had any issues with deep snow bog since

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
There is the the toilet bowl big air intake. Replace the stock air horn with (I think) a 4 inch closet flange. It works great and costs like $5.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
I haven't seen it said yet, but lets not forget about extra ventilation. The side panel vents can be found found for pretty close to the $50 price point. P. S- sorry for the triple post. It's the only way it works from my phone.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Free Mod Running Boards

Cut the boards on my 09 and 10, still running both sleds. Nothing to lose, I figured have cut out for aftermarket boards anyway. Big improvement over stock.

PC010074.jpg PC010075.jpg

arcticcatwill

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, id
In the world of sledding nothing is cheap. There are only good deals. Ive seen boss seats for less than $100. Cans for less that $40. I just bought a sno pro intake (much like bdx) for $30 at the swap meet.

Will

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
Turbo is the best bang for your buck.
A stock sled with nothing but a good turbo on it is better then any mod sled with out a turbo.
Time and money ahead with a turbo in the long run.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
Thank you for that sage bit of advice in the "cheap/free mods thread." I am not looking for the bestest, most expensivest, most complex, "best bang for your buck" mod. I am looking for cheap or free mods because there are a lot of them out there, and though they may not offer turbo style results, they do make a difference.
icon14.gif

S

ScubaSteveSK

Aug 16, 2008
Canada
That really escalated quickly from $40 brackets to turbos. Good thread otherwise.

One thing I've done a lot of for very cheap is venting. Buddy got a roll of abs plastic from a shop for free, and bought some pet screen from home depot. Haven't seen any hood vents like this so figured I'd make some. Formed it around the bends with a heat gun and a vice.

For the headlight delete I formed a piece of aluminum and vented it, attached it with a couple brackets. Instead of pet screen for this one I used Outerwears prefilter material ordered from denniskirk. Put both high beams in the other light.

Next thing is to use plain black 3M vinyl sheets to wrap the tunnel to keep snow from sticking to it. It was $35 from a local pinstripe shop. I'll post pics when it's done.

2010 hood.jpg 2010 headlight.jpg

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
posted this- shift kit bearing for the secondary $20 better back shift

then a duche named catscanfly gives me thumbs down- basic member. chit likes this pizzes me off. that post is positive and helpful and on subject and this jerk gives me negative thumbs down

C
Mar 4, 2011
then a duche named catscanfly gives me thumbs down- basic member. chit likes this pizzes me off. that post is positive and helpful and on subject and this jerk gives me negative thumbs down

As I explained to you in our private message, Im on my phone at work and it was accidental. I apologize again but there is no need for this negative post on your behalf. Lets keep this positive as we are all here to learn something to better ourselves and help others. As for this thread, it's one of the best yet! Keep the good ideas flowing!

C
Mar 4, 2011
Intake horn

I took a 4 or 4 1/2" PVC flange and secured it to the top of my airbox where the intake horn was. A little work with the die grinder on the airbox and a few small bolts and there you go. Then secured that back to the factory accordion air tube with a large hoseclamp.
MUCH better airflow for under $5!

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
Cut the boards on my 09 and 10, still running both sleds. Nothing to lose, I figured have cut out for aftermarket boards anyway. Big improvement over stock.

Have you noticed any structural weakness after cutting out the boards?? Nice job by the way!!! I have been wanting to do something and now I think I know what to do....... :face-icon-small-coo

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
If anybody remembers the stupid beaver tail on the 03 rev I took the piece that held it together to make a hood lifter.

image.jpg

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I cut my boards out last week

what I did was cut out every other 1/2 x alternating left, right, left increased the holes by at least 30%

Premium Features