• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Subscribe to the latest avalanche updates.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Perhaps Admin can make this a sticky.

Here is a link that every Canadian should have if they venture out into the backcountry. If there is a U.S. equivalent, please post the link here!!

I get an update approximately every 2 to 3 days, there is some valuable info to help you make the decision as to where to ride and when to ride.

Hope this can save a life.

http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Email

Ride safe everyone.

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Mark

Was out last three days, rode Frisby, Caribou, + Mcrae. Talked to lots of guys that said they were being real carefull. Then 10mins after each conversation, each group started highmarking steep bowls at the same time. I'm sick of people talking safety and not being able to say no to that tempting hillclimb. STAY OFF THE HILLS FOR A FEW WEEKS YOU GUYS.. What is the matter with some of you guys.. One guy triggered a slide at caribou while doing a very high mark on a very high risk slope with lots of load and area. The slab was only a foot deep in that slide, but look at the accident in wyoming, it was a small face, not big and it buried the guy, he's dead!! I rode with my brother in law and we rode strictly trees and Alpine out of run out zones and we had a great time with low risk.

PS we dug a pit at frisby 3.5m deep and found two PWL's I made a video and am going to post my fidings tonight.. stay safe you guys and listen to the Avy reports like Mark is saying..

H
Perhaps Admin can make this a sticky.

Here is a link that every Canadian should have if they venture out into the backcountry. If there is a U.S. equivalent, please post the link here!!

I get an update approximately every 2 to 3 days, there is some valuable info to help you make the decision as to where to ride and when to ride.

Hope this can save a life.

http://www.avalanche.ca/CAC_Bulletin_Email

Ride safe everyone.

thanks for the link, although don't think I'll be going on any hills any time soon

The forecasters do an excellent job but they do have limitations. When reading the avy forecast remember it is a FORECAST. One of the most important things the avy forecast relies on is the weather forecast. We all know that the weather forecast is not always spot on.

Read the text that goes with the forecast. If it says 10cm is expected and you get 30cm+ up the hazard level. If it is forecasting cloudy and the sun breaks through and warms up, up the level. If the winds were supposed to be light but you can see the wind are stronger and loading up the slopes, up the level. Look around, are you seeing what was predicted or something else. The responsibility of determining if a slope is stables is yours and no one else’s.

Premium Features