• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 850 Gen4 Extended Warranty

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
I am new to Doo (coming off a boosted Pro) and am wondering if it is worth getting the extended warranty on a 2019 850 Gen4 165"? Any thoughts and/or experiences/opinions are greatly appreciated!

SNOBI-WAN-KENOBI

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
North Bend,Washington
I am new to Doo (coming off a boosted Pro) and am wondering if it is worth getting the extended warranty on a 2019 850 Gen4 165"? Any thoughts and/or experiences/opinions are greatly appreciated!
Yes!!!! I just bought another extended warranty for my 17...good till 2021

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

I believe you have up to a year from date of purchase to extend warranty , assuming you have bought sled with one year warranty.

So ride it and if have warranty issues extend it before initial warranty runs out.

You can even purchase factory extended warrant on Ebay.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Extended Warranties are where these companies make all their money... Are you going to even own the sled that long?

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Extended Warranties are where these companies make all their money... Are you going to even own the sled that long?

If I'm not mistaken the extended warranty is transferable, making the resale a lot more appealing to someone who's looking to buy a 2 or 3 year old sled. Granted warranty doesn't cover everything, but puts the 2nd owners at ease having it.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
If I'm not mistaken the extended warranty is transferable, making the resale a lot more appealing to someone who's looking to buy a 2 or 3 year old sled. Granted warranty doesn't cover everything, but puts the 2nd owners at ease having it.

Most the people in the sled community are willing to drive 700 miles to save $500 on a new sled. They don't give a rat's ass about then warranty when it comes to the price. You'll never recover your cost of what you paid for it...

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Had a Finance professor in college many years ago advise that instead of buying extended warranties, take that money and put it into a savings account. Then when you had a repair that would have been covered by the extended warranty, withdraw that money from the savings account to cover it. He said that if you did that, by the time you retired you would be able to buy a new car with the remaining balance. I don't know if you would have enough to buy a new car, but from my experience over the almost 40 years since I received this advice the amount of money left over would not be an insignificant amount.

Warranty companies plan on paying out around $0.20 on the dollar of what the warranty costs. The other $0.80 goes to sales commission, overhead and profit. Large companies running fleets of vehicles and equipment never buy extended warranties. They know they are better off paying for repairs as they go.

Things like extended warranties and mods on a used sled are tie breakers given everything else being equal, but people aren't really willing to much of anything extra for them. If you don't have an extended warranty but are a couple hundred dollars less than others who do for a sled in the same condition, you will have no problem selling the sled. Price is king on used sleds from my experience.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
How many years are on you 19 currently for warranty?

Just the standard one year - I didn’t want to spend the extra $1,500 for the warranty at that time since I can guy it before the 12mos expires.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007

I’ll keep it 3 years or slightly more.....

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Somebody posted a $6700 price for a new 850 motor from Doo. I see some sleds going down before 2000 miles. Do you want to pay $6700 + labor or $1500 that would cover a couple engines if necessary?

Polaris are definitely easier to sell with warranty, because you will probably need it. I sold my Axys pretty cheap with no warranty but a fresh motor.

Probably depends on your financials to some degree. I have watched a couple of guys over the years making payments on broken sleds they couldn't afford to fix. Just like $250/year for insurance... used mine for the first time in over 20 years of riding, covered a $7000 mistake on my new sled.

All that said, you probably wont ever need it...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Bingo.
Call it what it is... Insurance.
That being said, if you have an issue, you can fix it or let it sit until you can afford to fix it.
If you can handle one of those choices, you don't need to cover it.
If you cannot handle sitting on the sidelines because you cannot afford the repair, you better buy coverage.

Last edited:

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Somebody posted a $6700 price for a new 850 motor from Doo. I see some sleds going down before 2000 miles. Do you want to pay $6700 + labor or $1500 that would cover a couple engines if necessary?

Polaris are definitely easier to sell with warranty, because you will probably need it. I sold my Axys pretty cheap with no warranty but a fresh motor.

Probably depends on your financials to some degree. I have watched a couple of guys over the years making payments on broken sleds they couldn't afford to fix. Just like $250/year for insurance... used mine for the first time in over 20 years of riding, covered a $7000 mistake on my new sled.

All that said, you probably wont ever need it...

With my luck if I don’t get it I’ll need it and I’d do get it, I won’t use use it....so I’ll probably get it.

Anyone know if it’s transferable without any hassle? When we bought our Malibu boat last summer, it had a warranty, but to transfer it was a pain in the ass.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Skidoo warranties are easy to transfer. Just sell or trade let the dealer transfer it to new owner.
I’ve done that for years never a issue.

Premium Features