• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electronic Oil Pump fuel/oil ratio?

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Does anyone know what ratio 2015 800 H.O. motors were running with new oil pump? I'm assuming it's not going to be as easy as turning a screw to get the ratio to an acceptable level anymore? An aftermarket "oiler controller" box perhaps?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
On HCS the HO owners were complaining about too much oil use in the beginning. They have different criteria for a good ride. Fuel mileage is important on a 200 mile day.

The Doo motor started gaining durability reputation (wasn't always that way lol) after taking control of the exh valves and oil amounts with the ECU.
Something to consider when wondering about the new HO.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It will be a program similar to the Etec where it uses more oil for about 200 miles, then tapers back. Not sure if it will be adjustable, but on the Etec it is simply a matter of changing a number on the BUDS system. Maybe Poo will have a similar electronic adjustment??

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Poo announced early last year that a goal of the electronic oil pump was to dramatically increase oil consumption during breakin. I believe it reduces it in steps, and not all at once, based on calculated load and not just hours. No idea how hard the parameter will be to get to in a programmer, but eventually it will happen. Wonder if the dealer, or eventually you, will be able to re-activate after a rebuild, etc. Since the injector system is fundamentally the same, you will still be able to shoot some in the boost ports by adding to fuel. No idea if anyone on the 15 Axys is doing this.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Why not quit building motors that need a pump to oil the bearings and go premix, one less thing to go wrong and blow up your sled and would save weight.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Hopefully it dumps it in during WFO throttle after any break in parameters are met. The peeps I know that really ride the etecs use as much fuel and oil as my turned up fuel and oiled Pro.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Hopefully it dumps it in during WFO throttle after any break in parameters are met. The peeps I know that really ride the etecs use as much fuel and oil as my turned up fuel and oiled Pro.

Didn't know that about the Etecs. Lets hope that's the case with the 800 H.O. My first thought is Polaris trying to appease the EPA standards - which is never good for engine longevity. The trail H.O's probably never spend as much time WOT as mountain sleds.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Why not quit building motors that need a pump to oil the bearings and go premix, one less thing to go wrong and blow up your sled and would save weight.

Can't be done with SDI motors, very little fuel/oil mix would make it to the bottom end, it's all injected in the boost port, she wouldn't last 20 miles. Only with carbs or TBI, and the EPA likes neither.

rbk444

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Does anyone know how the motor is protected if there is a power failure to the oil pump,,is there a shut off system built in the ecu or elsewhere,,.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
When I spoke to the Polaris engineers about this, I believe the break in time was 20 hours (that number is in my head but that seems like a long time). It injects more oil and the mapping on it is not just based off of RPM. The old system was only RPM based (it was a physical pump so it could only take input from engine speed) The new system is 3D, meaning it will take a variety of readings and inject, adjust accordingly. RPM, engine load, throttle request/input, engine temps. 8100 rpms on a flat trail is not the same as a full throttle pull up the side of the hill with 4 feet of powder.

The engine break in period can also be reset by a Polaris dealer through the computer (digital wrench or whatever it is called). So if you do a rebuild you can re-do the break in period as well.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
When I spoke to the Polaris engineers about this, I believe the break in time was 20 hours (that number is in my head but that seems like a long time). It injects more oil and the mapping on it is not just based off of RPM. The old system was only RPM based (it was a physical pump so it could only take input from engine speed) The new system is 3D, meaning it will take a variety of readings and inject, adjust accordingly. RPM, engine load, throttle request/input, engine temps. 8100 rpms on a flat trail is not the same as a full throttle pull up the side of the hill with 4 feet of powder.

The engine break in period can also be reset by a Polaris dealer through the computer (digital wrench or whatever it is called). So if you do a rebuild you can re-do the break in period as well.

This is a huge change for our poor two strokes. Enough oil all the time. I suspect it will burb it's self easier-quicker too.

For years premix (if possible) was the safest because it gave too much all the time except for wide open. This will be better yet.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
This will be better yet.

Gosh, I hope so. But I still fall back on Polaris vs. EPA standards (forced hand). Oil is cheap, even the expensive stuff, compared to a rebuild. Either way, I'm snow checking and hoping for the best.

Premium Features