• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo oil pump (WHAT TYPE?!)

Dec 3, 2007
Well, after a few hours of use my greylor pump (supplied with CPI turbo kit) has given up the ghost. After a few searches i have come to the conclusion that this may be a common issue with this pump...

So i got to thinking, what is stopping a guy from using something a little more reliable, like an electric fuel pump?

Just for example, a guy can pick up a little holley 'red' pump for a little more than the greylor pump. It flows about the same (flows just over 1gpm @ 5psi) but that is gas not oil so i would imagine that with a lightweight oil it would be flowing something like .5gpm which is about the same as the greylor pump.

Any thoughts?

I have heard of a mechanical pump i can run in place of the oil injection pump but i would rather not premix!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Twister has reliable oil Pumps...

A lot of guys are having problems with destroying those oil pumps. Contact Twister on the forum, he has a DEFINITE solution. He has a new oil pump for you that will hold up. I know he has sold a bunch already....

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
those are pretty spendy pumps could always carry 5 or 6 of the cheap pumps with you for that price lol

My advice would be to suck it up and buy a mechanical oil pump from Brad Story, "Boost Addict" on here. By far the best pump out there and the premix part isn't that big of a deal either, you have to run race fuel so mix it up by the jerry can. I've been doing that and it works awesome.

Btw- I've read on here that quite a few guys have grenaded turbos using that cheap greylor pump and if you ask me it's cheap insurance going with a good mechanical pump. Costs more initially but you will save in the end.

Just my .02
Tyler

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
I agree that the mechanical pump is very good, but there are some applications where you need an electric. Also don't forget that on some models (polaris) that the mechanical pump is driven by the belt which can fail. Also if you read the specs on the weldon pump from up above in an earlier post. you will find that it pumps way more oil than what the turbo needs which leads to higher amp draw on the stator which is not good. If you size the pump correctly you end up with low amp draw and more than enough oil.

Rob

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
I have used the Greylor 24 volt pump on my turbo for 1-1/2 years now with no problems, just run it on 12 volts and it won't draw more than 3-5 amps and will hold up to 20psi. Used on a Garrett though and I know they don't need as much oil as the Mits, but I think the pump would still supply enough oil and pressure.
KMOD

Dec 3, 2007
That was another thought i had in the back of my head but didnt know if it would supply enough oil @ 12v. But it should last a while...

what 'options' did you order your pump with. im not even sure which exact one cpi supplies...

Last edited:

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
turbo oil pump

The one I purchased from CPI 3 years ago was a 12 volt pump, I ran it on the bench plumbed into the turbo with a battery charger and after 40 minutes the motor melted off the pump because it got so hot.
I called the Graylor people and they suggested the 24 volt pump with some pump options that I don't remember, it has black nuts on the pump, I know that means somthing about the pump. Ran it an hour on the bench and it got pretty warm but not hot enough to melt, and drew less amps. Using 5-20w oil and 2 cycle oil with it and they both work fine.
Have used for all last year and so far this year and have had no problems. Knock on wood!!!!
KMOD

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
Yes but remember everyone kmod is running a ball bearing turbo and not a bushing mitsu tubo. the greylor pump even the 24 v won't hold up been there done that.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
listen to this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he's only been running turbos since about the time someone invented them..... He's probally pooped out more info than most of us know...

T

TWISTER

Jul 7, 2002
Colton South Dakota
listen to this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he's only been running turbos since about the time someone invented them..... He's probally pooped out more info than most of us know...

After yesterday i am sure you are gonna be an expert on poop. bwaaahahahhahahahahahahahaha.

Rob

PS are your nipples sore yet?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
you guys are a bunch of foooooockers!!!!!

After yesterday i am sure you are gonna be an expert on poop. bwaaahahahhahahahahahahahaha.

Rob

PS are your nipples sore yet?

I dont think, I have a response to all this BS.

#1 - We are not breast feedings, so there is no sore nipples in this house. You both are gonna have sore nipples and a foot up your azzz, when I get ahold of yah(thats if I ever get out of the house in the next 18 or so years).

#2 - geesh a guy has to have something to due when he is stuck in the hospital. If I had to stay there much longer, they were going to have to lock me up in the mental ward....

#3 - I dont know, you two are just a couple fooockers... pickin on a guy when he just had his first kid.... someone needs to teach you how to play nice...... :D

Premium Features