• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Dodge Ram

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
So you broke the clutch linkage on a 20 year old truck, big deal, it is a 20 year old truck and there is nothing worse for any truck than plowing snow, especially on clutch parts. I sure don't know what eveyone talks about when they talk tranny problems, I have never lost, one my first Dodge was a 75 and been buying Dodge ever since. My dad ran them for pilot work and would get way over 400,000 miles on em before trading them in and never lost a tranny, both manuals and autos. Alot of family members who were Ford and Chevy faithful are now driving Dodges with no problems. My father in law after buying a brand new F-250 and having ridden in my 3 year old 2500 Dodge + he absolutly hates Dodge with a passion after being turned down for a dealership in the 60's went back to the Ford dealer after 2 months of owning his new Ford and told them that Ford needs to take a lesson from Dodge on how to build a solid cab.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, well I broke down and bought my first Dodge yesterday, 89' pickup with a snowplow, got it home and broke the clutch linkage, so what does that say! Oh, and did they finally get the trannies to hold up? I know 3 people who have gone through 2 OR MORE trannies, all auto's, in under 50,000 miles. Last one the guy spent the money and converted it to a 6 speed, and now he is loosing 5th gear, bad syncro.

Bah Ya'll just don't know how to use a mopar.. my light duty a999 tranny 3spd auto with a 2.2 rear end held up fine to towing 5,500lbs behind it.(plus the 4200lbs curb weight of the car)

My dad's 96 ram, I towed with the bed loaded, a 6x18ft enclosed trailer fully loaded to the ceiling(I was moving), stuff on the trailer, stuff on the canopy 250mile round trip, with a half functioning oil pump, I had to pop it into N every 20min or so, turn off the truck, while coasting doing 80mph(I coulda stopped) start the truck up again to get the oil pump flowing again. Now before you start on me about the oil pump.. consider this.. my dad is really bad at maintenance on cars.. me moving out was the worst thing that could happen to that truck.. it went 26,000+miles without an oil change on regular oil, it already had the problem before I towed, so i didn't break it... it went another 6,000miles before it got an oil change. then it went another year before he dropped in a new crate.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I sorta like the idea of the bed rail storage compartments, except that it limits what you can do with the bed...

A "Saddle Box" (tool box) would cover the front half of them rendering them worthless and leaving you with a useless seem running down the side of the truck...

A tonneau cover would have a similar effect, again with the seam...

and a full size Canopy would also cover them, and again have a seam...

I suppose the only thing that you could put in the bed as an accessory would be an "in bed" truck box, anything else would be counter-productive.

For the many people who put nothing in or on their box, it will most likely be a nice feature, you can almost never have to much storage. Not the most original idea (***see - Chevrolet Avalanche***), but still a good one I suppose.

So you broke the clutch linkage on a 20 year old truck, big deal, it is a 20 year old truck and there is nothing worse for any truck than plowing snow, especially on clutch parts. I sure don't know what eveyone talks about when they talk tranny problems, I have never lost, one my first Dodge was a 75 and been buying Dodge ever since. My dad ran them for pilot work and would get way over 400,000 miles on em before trading them in and never lost a tranny, both manuals and autos. Alot of family members who were Ford and Chevy faithful are now driving Dodges with no problems. My father in law after buying a brand new F-250 and having ridden in my 3 year old 2500 Dodge + he absolutly hates Dodge with a passion after being turned down for a dealership in the 60's went back to the Ford dealer after 2 months of owning his new Ford and told them that Ford needs to take a lesson from Dodge on how to build a solid cab.

OK, first of all, with the circle track experience I have, I KNOW that dodge has not built a good tranny since the 727 Torqueflite. The only other descent tranny they had wasn't even a mopar, it was a New Process 5 speed they used in the mid 90's. There linkage has never been worth anything, theres a reason why the circle track guys buy an engine plate and adapt on a GM bellhousing and run a Saginaw or a Muncie and run GM linkage. All that I know is that the ratio of bad tranny problems in Dodges is a whole lot more than Chevy or even Ford. Heck, even some of mopars motors did run pretty good, except for that weired lifter valley flow path they had going on, lots of lifter failures do to that.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
OK, first of all, with the circle track experience I have, I KNOW that dodge has not built a good tranny since the 727 Torqueflite. The only other descent tranny they had wasn't even a mopar, it was a New Process 5 speed they used in the mid 90's. There linkage has never been worth anything, theres a reason why the circle track guys buy an engine plate and adapt on a GM bellhousing and run a Saginaw or a Muncie and run GM linkage. All that I know is that the ratio of bad tranny problems in Dodges is a whole lot more than Chevy or even Ford. Heck, even some of mopars motors did run pretty good, except for that weired lifter valley flow path they had going on, lots of lifter failures do to that.

48re.....Better Trany than the POS tquore shift in the Fords. Running 500HP thru mine with over 90,000 mi so far.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana

As far as I know most racing series designate what tranny and rear end can be used, and it is usually a version of GM tranny and a Ford 9 inch rear. As far as New process tranny's not being Mopar, who do you think owns them? I will tell you New Process was a joint partnership between Chrysler and GM with Chrysler ownig 60% and GM owning 40%. In 1993 Chrysler bought out GM's share and held 100% of the company until I beleive 2003 when it sold 80% to a group which named it New Process Gear Company, Chrysler still retains 20% to this day. Alot of people say Dodges drive trains are junk but bothe Ford and GM mostly used and are still using Chrysler drivetrain components in their pickups ie. Dana and New Process.

A
Dec 12, 2007
BC
don't like it!
were are they going with that design?!

Dodge Ram used to lead the way as far as design. the Ram looked very distinguished up until 2006. its been a down hill ride since.

that thing looks awful. kind of Japanese looking.

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
don't like it!
were are they going with that design?!

Dodge Ram used to lead the way as far as design. the Ram looked very distinguished up until 2006. its been a down hill ride since.

that thing looks awful. kind of Japanese looking.

I think it looked better than the 2006-2008 models, but no where as good as the 95+ models.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
This truck looks bad a$$. Not sure about the 4 link rear end but hey if its got the hp and torque they are advertisin then what the hell0.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-ram.html

Doesn't look as high as the last model.:(

Seems all the big 3 are kind of following each other when it comes to certain styling. Each are getting less and less unique I feel.

When will the U.S. auto makers understand to quit talking HP and Torque and give people some decent mileage out of these things. It's doable and would be much more market savvy to do it this way. No one needs more then what they currently offer in terms of HP and Torque but we all could use better MPG. It's a shame that a diesel rig in a pickup can't get 20mpg on the highway and 12-15 towing maxium loads at highway speeds. Pure B.S.!

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
You're absolutely right. Remember the Cummins in 88. People were getting 25 to 28 mpg with them and they towed just fineand still got 15 to 18, now they are getting anywhere from 11 to 15 empty and 8 to 11 towing. That is B.S.

:confused: ya i dont get that part, even with semi's there putting all of this epa crap on them losing hp upping displacement and mileage goes way down, but its more friendly to the enviroment:confused:, my 98 12v gets 19-24 unloaded depends on if i am feelin speedy or not, and 15-18 loaded about 8500lbs my truck is a little my powerful than my neighbors 05 we ran a couple runs with and with out trailers and i get better milage than him WTF i am stickin to the 12v no 24v cr's 6.0 6.4 6.6 6.7 or whatever else

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
You're absolutely right. Remember the Cummins in 88. People were getting 25 to 28 mpg with them and they towed just fineand still got 15 to 18, now they are getting anywhere from 11 to 15 empty and 8 to 11 towing. That is B.S.

Sorry to burst your bubble but your mpg #s with the 1st gens are off by a lot. You need one hell of a tailwind to even think of getting 25mpg with a 1st gen Dodge CTD. How do I know? I own one, I and most other guys on the 1st gen forums average anywhere from 16-21mpg depending of gearing, truck size (3/4ton or 1 ton, 2x4 vs 4x4) and how you drive it. I average 18-20mpg empty depending on my right foot, 14-16mpg with 2 sleds on the deck.

The reason(s) newer diesels are getting worse mileage? Emissions equipment, feeding 350hp, the weight of the truck itself and on and on. If you can knock down mid to high teens for fuel economy in a 7000# plus 4x4 truck, I'd say your doing perty good. Don't like it? Go buy a civic or a bicycle and park the truck.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
stock trucks suck

i was getting 18-21mpg highway, with this beast, early last year, now only getting, 14-17mpg. its something to do ,with the crap, low sulfer diesel ,there making now, and charging $1.00 a gallon more,
truck013.jpg
[/IMG] for it.

Premium Features