• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford RAPTOR vs Diesel????

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Buying oil and filter from walmart. The cheapest place i can find motorcraft is still $69.12 with tax
During the winter i like running synthetic. Thats getting up close $100. Not sure how u can change oil for $35-40

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Rotella 15w-40 is $32-33 bucks for 2.5 gal jug(right amount for a dmax) at WalMart, then throw in $7-8 for a filter. If you have Ta have that fancy synthetic stuff then ya its gonna cost more.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Didn't see it in all the post but the diesel also has an exh brake witch is awesome coming off hills. Yes the sled trailers don't weigh much but it helps and brake pads last longer.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Only 10 quarts for Duramax?
I did not know.
Powerstroke is 15 quarts. Just shy of 4 gallons.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Ya, think the book says 10.5qts. Them pstrokes definitely hold some oil, guess that would get the price up there.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The higher the quantity of oil, the greater the interval for oil changes. If I can get 8-10k out of my 10 qts, I bet 15 qts would go 12-15k between changes. If not, maybe Ford needs to clean up their oil system to minimize contamination....

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Well you should scratch it too and probably hit a solid 30 mpg:second::lol:

Is that GMs equivalent to slapping giant C stickers all over and flippin the mirrors out on a dodge? If that's the case I better scratch the chit out of it, I hear those guys regularly pull 30+mpgs.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Is that GMs equivalent to slapping giant C stickers all over and flippin the mirrors out on a dodge? If that's the case I better scratch the chit out of it, I hear those guys regularly pull 30+mpgs.

No to hit 30 mpg's you need an 8 inch lift and 37's minimum...oh yeah and black out every intersection:rockon::rockon:

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Cummins get the best mileage because as soon as the engine is broke in the rear bumper, bottom of the tailgate and the rear fender wells rust off, thus lightening the load. They also have a greater payload capacity due to this fact.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Cummins get the best mileage because as soon as the engine is broke in the rear bumper, bottom of the tailgate and the rear fender wells rust off, thus lightening the load. They also have a greater payload capacity due to this fact.

no, thats because your state throws salt blocks on the road in the winter. every vehicle rusts off their frame that comes from the land of 10,000 lakes

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
no, thats because your state throws salt blocks on the road in the winter. every vehicle rusts off their frame that comes from the land of 10,000 lakes

Not if you own a ford diesel!

It spends most of its time at the dealor with its cab on a hoist awaiting a new engine and ford denying the warranty claim.:becky:

Dec 17, 2007
Raptors have 36 gallon tank. Electronic locker in rear diff and a torsion lock front end. Sounds pretty good for getting up the mountain to snowmobile. Oh and over 400 foot pounds of torque. Most plush riding truck out there due to the off road suspension. My wife has one and she allows me to use it works for me.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
If diesel keeps going up gas trucks will be back. 1.35 more per gallon for diesel here wish there was a one ton gas with boost from factory. Roush superchargers look better everyday. I have had diesel to gas back to diesel because of 8 mpgs with a gas everyday at least with a diesel I can get 12 to 13 everyday. Lots of people claim they get great mpgs but not me. I have a 12 ford 350srw wth 40000 miles on it and 28000 hooked to a trailer. Lifetime mpg is 12.6 but in the winter I don't believe in shutting it off. If I am using it all day I am a firm believer in heat and cool cycles kill engines. Once it up to temp keep it there. Same with gas engines. I have a brother that is a salesman that did his own experiment. Buy shutting a engine off at every stop vs letting run all day summer or winter. These were with 5.3 gm motors. He puts on about 80000 miles a year. The truck that he never shut off had more engine hours but at 200000 miles required 1200 less maintainence.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ like general maintenance or replacement of engine internals? I don't see that really affecting general maintenance. Also, if he puts on a true 80,000 miles per year, that truck would barely turn off in a 10 hour/day 5 day/week schedule regardless. That is 32 miles for every working hour given that schedule and 2 weeks holiday.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
That's true. But there are a lot of 5 year old Chysler products that are rusted trough the rear wheel wells and tailgates /trunk lids.

The Fords a GM take about 10 years. Salt sucks.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Mainly intake gaskets and exhaust gasket has had some lifter trouble also. He travels 6 days a week and also used it for his personal vehicle. Look a diesel in big trucks they run 700000 to 800000 with minimal breakdowns. For me it's hard to pull 25000lbs with a gas.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
The Ford Raptor is an awesome truck. I am on my second one. I have put the cooks racing headers and pipes on it, cold air intake. Theres not much I can't pass with that thing! As far as towing...... I wouldnt recommend it. I use mine to tow my 24' tri-toon to the lake and back and pull my car hauler around hauling lumber or light loads. I read through almost every reply and skimmed the odd one when the wife was talking and i had to try and pay attention to her a bit, I dont remember seeing anyone talk about weight. Your enclosed sled trailer is going to be 4000#s empty, add 4 600# sleds and all your gear along with the kitchen sink, your going to be 7500#s +/-. The raptor doesnt have the weight to barely stop that load moving 75mph! When you do get it stopped your maintenance of brake jobs and paying for those fancy fox shocks(cause ford wont give warranty on them, at least not without a fight!) The cummins is a better decision when it comes to towing. Doesnt even have to be a diesel. Just a
3/4 ton or larger. I run a 2012 f350 sw long box, 4" lift with 35". Put bilstein 5150 series shocks in it, i pull my 28' down the interstate at 90mph and dont look back. I haul 5 long tracks in the trailer and all our gear, and have even ran with my XRS on my sled deck with 4 fairly burly overweight gentleman in the cab! The raptor is cool, and rides better than any caddy i have ever been in, its my vehicle of choice for daily driver, its designed to go fast and jump sh!t, not be a work horse and tow. Thats my &5 worth, cause $0.02 doesnt get you squat these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features