• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Compared XP with stock Apex, Turboed Apex, and my 04 REV 800

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Now that I have had some seat time on a new XP 163”, a stock Apex, a turboed Apex, and my 04 Rev I can state my opinion on which one is the best all around sled.

Fist off I have had my REV for 4 years now and really love that sled. (now I just need more power) Anyway we had at least 2 feet of fresh powder and more in some places to compare these 4 sleds.

Climbing - Hands down the Turboed Apex wins the climbing contest, no question on that as I think most people would agree. The Stock Apex and XP were very close but I think the XP had just a little more than the Apex. As for my Rev, anyone have a bigger horsepower engine I can throw in it to keep up? I will be looking for other options soon. It sucks coming in last every time.
So
# 1 Apex Turboed
# 2 XP
# 3 Stock Apex
# 4 04 Rev

Trails - well honestly who cares about the trails on a mountain sled. They all perform well for as much as we have to be on trails I don’t care about it much.
All =

Sidehilling - Honestly my 04 Rev cut across any hill better that any of the other 3 listed. Maybe I am just used to my sled more but the other sleds were harder to keep on its side on the hill. The XP really wanted to go back down onto both skis. We did disconnect the stabilizer bar but it didn’t seem to help all that much. Maybe the center of gravity is too low now. I don’t know. The Apex’s were easier then the XP but you can tell it is a little heavier then the 2 skidoos, However the way it is weighted made it quite easy to keep it on its side on the hill. Not as much effort to keep it up as with the XP.
So
# 1 04 Rev
# 2 & 3 Apex’s
# 4 XP

Boondocking – Well this really goes hand in hand with sidehilling. I can carve through the trees, flats, hills, anywhere for that matter best on the 04 Rev. The only problem I had on the 04 Rev is it needs more power. In that deep of snow I was basically pinned everywhere I went. But getting it on its side was so much easier than the XP was. Also I could keep the 04 Rev on its side as long as I wanted to. With the XP you really have to tug on it to get it on its side. It takes way too much effort to get it over. I am a tall skinny guy (6’1” and all of 175lbs) so for such a light sled it sure didn’t impress me with its capabilities. Also once you got it over it still wanted to snap back down onto it’s other ski. Not a fun experience flying off the other side of the sled when it comes back down hard. Now the Apex’s. The stock apex did just fine. I could carve with it just about as well as I could with my 04 Rev. People say it is too heavy to boondock, yeah it might be heavy if you get it stuck and have to pull it out but as for riding the sled you can’t tell how heavy it really is. As for the Turboed Apex it was a blast to ride. It had enough power to turn back up the hill and do it all again. Didn’t have to worry about bogging down in the deep snow either. It was easy to get over and once it was over it was easy to keep it there.
So
# 1 Turboed Apex
# 2 04 Rev
# 3 Stock Apex
# 4 XP

If I had my choice on what to ride I would take a Turboed Apex for sure. However I don’t have 17 to 20 grand to have one of those so I guess I will just have to stick with my 04 Rev for a while. Yes the XP has a few improvements on my sled but I really wasn’t all that impressed with it. Also with all the problems it is having I would rather take an Apex. If all the issues get worked out and BRP takes some responsibility on fixing those problems with the sled it can be a very good sled. It does climb well (until the drive shaft breaks:mad:) but that’s about it.

So over all which sled would I rather ride?
# 1 Turboed Apex for Sure
# 2 Stock Apex
# 3 04 REV (if I can get more power, any suggestions on getting more power in my REV)
# 4 XP

What really would be my ideal sled is my 04 REV Platform with a Turboed Apex engine stuffed in it. Can anybody do that for me? That my $.02 on the new sleds.

Oh yeah anyone that says you can’t boondock an Apex, stock or with a turbo, just needs more practice sledding. Keep riding to get better and then go try it again. Its much easier than you think it is.

Any opinions, comments, suggestions, on any parts are welcomed and encouraged. Keep it friendly though. No need to get all worked up over anything here. We all have fun on our own sleds.

R
Nov 27, 2007
South Fork, CO
did you really just post that 1. a stock apex came close in climbing to a stock Xp, and 2. that an apex is a better boondocker than the XP? is that legal to say on snowest?! :confused:

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
this could be one of those threads of the year once all the doo guys get wind of it:D.its great to here a good review of what you though of the sleds in a head to head comparison most guys dont get a chance to do that.oh there is a few revs running around with rx1 or apex motors a couple of the guys hang out on sw cool sled.well i hope this dosnt get ugly:rolleyes::beer;:beer;

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
wow. I've seen a few apex's climbing in my days, but i've never seen a stock one beat a rev... i put the smackin on a few back when i had my 06, i don't know how a apex would even come close to an xp as it will take my 06 by a good 2 to 4 sled lengths...... You sure your rev's runnin right????

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
did you really just post that 1. a stock apex came close in climbing to a stock Xp, and 2. that an apex is a better boondocker than the XP? is that legal to say on snowest?! :confused:

Yep i did just post that. I didn't say the Stock Apex beat the XP but it was fairly close. And yes the apex did boondock better. This was the first time the XP had been out so maybe it will get better with time. Not sure on that right now.

D

DLUX

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
oh oh!!

Dude now you did it!! all the Doo Doo guys are gona get there panties in a knot and start telling you that your an idiot and that an xpee is the best and the apex is a tank blah blah blah, but now YOU know, see what the problem is that most guys don't have the oportunity to compare the way you have so most of them are internet **** talkers that "heard" the apex can't be boondocked, when in reality its probably one of the best tree sleds out there especially when turbo'd. I'm glad most of these fools don't ride turbo's cuz it makes it way funner for those of us who do!!:D

S
Nov 29, 2007
I rode pretty much every sled made over a two day stretch at the snoshoot media ride last year and I agree with Yamadoo that the XP is not very impressive. Sure it goes great up a mountian for a stock sled but that is just about having a 163x16 track and weighing 528lb (wet weight on the scales). I enjoy boondocking and sidehilling too much to ride a XP, it is the most unexciting sled to ride in its class. The Polaris 800 on the other hand is an absolute hoot to ride, so much fun. I think anyone that is considering an XP needs to remember that snowmobiling is about having fun and not about having the most impressive spec sheet on paper.
Thats my two cents on the XP program.

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Apex is a good sled but not even close to the booddocking capability of the XP. An Apex / Xp tree banging challenge seems to be in order!!!! nowhere near as nimble.

My 2 cents.:beer;:beer;

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
I've seen pic's on this forum of the XP's just hugging the trees on every pic. LOL, enjoy backing up your stuff Doo guys.

H

Hoody

Dec 27, 2007
You guys have to keep in mind that it's his style of riding that he is basing his opinion on.

R
I usually just read and don't often reply on these threads, but feel a need to respond to the boondocking statements. I bought an XP-X 154 this year because the Polaris dealer jacked me around something terrible on the Dragon deal and I finally gave up on it. I do not consider myself a "ski doo guy" as I have not owned on since my 77 Everest. I rode an M7 the last two years, Polaris 800's,700's,Ultras,and XLT's for the 12 years before that and mostly Yamahas the 5 before that. I have been "boondocking" since before we called it that and allthough you might be able to knock it in other areas it is by far the best "boondocking" sled I have ever had. Even better than the M-cat which is awesome in my opinion.:face-icon-small-coo

M
Dude now you did it!! all the Doo Doo guys are gona get there panties in a knot and start telling you that your an idiot and that an xpee is the best and the apex is a tank blah blah blah, but now YOU know, see what the problem is that most guys don't have the oportunity to compare the way you have so most of them are internet **** talkers that "heard" the apex can't be boondocked, when in reality its probably one of the best tree sleds out there especially when turbo'd. I'm glad most of these fools don't ride turbo's cuz it makes it way funner for those of us who do!!:D

That didn't take long!!

^^^^^^^^

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Seems like an honest review, as he compared his own iron and put it down at the bottom of the list on a couple tests. It is what it is!!!

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
your an idiot a stock apex beating a 04 rev and coming close to a xp.... acid is bad my friend....

So I'm an idiot for telling it how it is huh? Yes the Stock Apex Beat my 04 Stock REV. You might think mine might not be running right but the apex does have a longer track and lets see 3 years of better technology in it. OK I guess I was smoking crack when all 3 other sleds beat me up the hill. 2 to 3 feet of powder and the apex wins man.

As for the track lengths goes. 04 REV has a 151", XP 163", APEX's 162"

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
You guys have to keep in mind that it's his style of riding that he is basing his opinion on.

Yes that is a true statement. It is my opinion on my riding style.

I have been rinding since I was 6 years old. So this is now my 20th year of riding sleds. I have riden quite a few differrent sleds in my time. So i know there are differences in all the sleds. I could list all the sleds I have ridden in my day but I don't want to bore you with that. All I have to say is yes in my riding style the Apex is a more fun sled to ride then the XP. OH yeah and when the Problems start to show up on our XP I'll be glad it's not mine and it is my brothers sled that will have to be getting fixed all the time.

Just because a sled might weigh a little less then another one does not mean that is a better sled.

Premium Features