• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
OKAY
Mirage just got back to me.
Their OFFICIAL reply was.

They recommend and stock the FastWay e2 Weight Distribution Hitch for their Snowmobile trailers for those who want MORE control when towing, but they feel it is generally unnecessary because of how light the total load tends to be on those trailers.

FW_e2_Round-Bar_Web_72c6605c-c983-4374-bf3d-c14a6c06f087.png

You should have a chat with your Ford dealer and see if they have a Demo 3.0 Powerstroke or a 3.5 Ecoboost that you can use to go pick up the trailer from Mirage when its done... Would be good to check mileage empty on the way and towing the trailer on the way back.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You should have a chat with your Ford dealer and see if they have a Demo 3.0 Powerstroke or a 3.5 Ecoboost that you can use to go pick up the trailer from Mirage when its done... Would be good to check mileage empty on the way and towing the trailer on the way back.

EXCELLENT IDEA!

We should have the 2019 trailer in a month or so.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN

The idea was so simple it was completely over thought! Now let the count down begin!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Have enough miles towing in a 3.5 EB to say that it gets similar mileage to anything while towing....nothing special at all mileage wise.

The big benefit is, you have tons of power, minimal shifting and minimal noise compared to a V8. So it would be preferable for towing for sure.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Have enough miles towing in a 3.5 EB to say that it gets similar mileage to anything while towing....nothing special at all mileage wise.

The big benefit is, you have tons of power, minimal shifting and minimal noise compared to a V8. So it would be preferable for towing for sure.

Hmm
So your saying that your 3.5EB Gasser is the equivalent of the 6.7PS for Towing???

SERIOUSLY??

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Hmm
So your saying that your 3.5EB Gasser is the equivalent of the 6.7PS for Towing???

SERIOUSLY??

I think he means compared to any of the other half ton v8's. The Ecoboost has more than enough power to pull the trailer you are getting. It feels way more like a diesel than a V8. It's just a question on if the rest of the truck can handle it...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think he means compared to any of the other half ton v8's. The Ecoboost has more than enough power to pull the trailer you are getting. It feels way more like a diesel than a V8. It's just a question on if the rest of the truck can handle it...

AHH!
Got It.
Man that makes a WHOLE lot more sense now!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I think he means compared to any of the other half ton v8's. The Ecoboost has more than enough power to pull the trailer you are getting. It feels way more like a diesel than a V8.
That's exactly what I was getting at. The EB pulls more like a diesel than any gas motor truck I've driven (haven't driven the old gas V10's that said). It's not the total power, but the low and mid range torque for towing, and lack of drama/noise while towing that is most impressive. The motor is very impressive for towing....and very smooth and quiet for cruising. It does give something up to a V8 in the way of throttle response and fun factor when driving empty tho.

Only downside I find while towing with EB is lack of engine braking as mentioned.....my old 4.7L V8 Tundra has much more holdback than the EB.

I really wish they would put a 3.5 with a 10 speed in a new F250. That would be a cool truck.
That would be a great truck for a lot of people.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The Ike Gauntlet™ is an 8-mile stretch of I-70 in Colorado. It’s a 7% grade from Dillon, CO and all the way up to the Eisenhower/Johnson Memorial tunnels at 11,158 feet above sea level.

This test is also the first truck competing for the 2019 Gold Hitch – best towing half-ton truck – award. This will be a very competitive half-ton truck segment this year as the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 and the all-new 2019 Chevy/GMC trucks are competing here as well.

Get all the details in the video below.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YDY8obTyN9A" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I really enjoy watching the videos from these guys, they do a pretty good job!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
While I don't have any firsthand experience with the new 3.0L and limited experience with the Ecoboost, I must say that the 6.7L is quite the engine when it comes to towing with ease. Pulling a 6,000lb trailer and the thing throws you back in the seat going up hill or taking off from a stop light is quite impressive.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While I don't have any firsthand experience with the new 3.0L and limited experience with the Ecoboost, I must say that the 6.7L is quite the engine when it comes to towing with ease. Pulling a 6,000lb trailer and the thing throws you back in the seat going up hill or taking off from a stop light is quite impressive.
Ya.
I don't think anyone will argue that when it comes to TOWING that engine MORE than accomplishes the job.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
AHH!
Got It.
Man that makes a WHOLE lot more sense now!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Christopher -- I cannot recommend the 3.5 motor enough for the "lighter" or "occasional" duty towing. Is it gonna chew gas? Yup. Gonna pass everything on the way to the gas station? Yup.

I "tend" to lean GM, that said, my last two pickups have been Fords. Drove the 3.5 a couple years ago just as a test. Knew it was the motor I wanted vs all the new 5.3s. Came home with the Ford. That Ford was starting to show it's age and the idiot behind the wheel was a little tough on her. Started looking for a different one -- drove the 6.2 and still wasn't impressed. Hopped in the 3.5 and boom. That one came home. If the new diesel will give me that feeling in either Ford or GM I'll be putting the pen to paper (or really calcs in an excel sheet) to see what the cost of ownership will be.

Annual trip of Grand Forks, ND to Togwotee and back -- three sleds, open trailer (with shields), full gear, three guys per truck. 80-85 as the roads allow. -- 2013 Eco CC, 5'5" box, 3.55s - Same truck, same guys, same trailer, round trip 2k miles. Last year low 8s fighting the wind big time out bound trip. Two years ago just over 10. Round trip. That 10 to 10.5 is pretty normal for our group heading anywhere out west.

I bombed out by myself last year over New Years to Island Park. Sled in the back of the pickup. 85-90 and it was cold coming back, decent heading out. Drove over the night of New Years and most of the way from Billings to Bismark was -25F between Forsyth and Miles City I saw -44 on the thermometer. That trip alone was 10.8 ish -- speed and the cold. I don't know if I would have been able to make it in the diesel or if I would have been gelled up. One of the few times I thought to myself "I'm glad I'm in a gasser."

I know you won't see that kind of miles, but just a snap shot.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
GAS ENGINE in Performance TOW MODE.
So we are getting about 381Ft/Lbs of torque on the stock motor

Chip it, and that goes up to 443Ft/Lbs, for a 62ft/lb increase..

93pt-vs-stk-TQ.jpg

DIESEL ENGINE (https://5startuning.com/got-a-2018-f150-3-0l-power-stroke-diesel/#iLightbox[gallery_image_1]/0)
Stock is getting 407ft/lbs of torque.

Chip it and that goes up to 505ft/lbs for a 98ft/lb increase.

final-perf-v1.jpg

So the 3.0L diesel has only 7% more torque in stock configuration
407 vs. 381

And chipped, the 3.0L diesel has 14% more torque.
505 vs. 443

Just looking at the raw numbers, if the 3.5EB tows OK, the little diesel SHOULD tow a little better..

But when properly chipped, then it should shine even more...

But the little Diesel APPEARS to be killing it in day to day gas mileage, getting mid 20s vs mid teens

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I really think you need to stop worrying so much about these numbers and start test driving.

Because on numbers alone a 2018 Ram 5.7L Hemi has more torque then an Ecoboost at 410 vs 337 but actually towing with the two would give you a very different impression and I doubt that anybody who has towed with both would pick the Hemi over the Ecoboost.

Just saying that these numbers can say lots of things but none of that matters when you are actually hooked to the trailer running down the road.

Premium Features