• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Volunteers: Search & Rescue

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
I am making a standby roster of volunteers willing to respond to things like Avalanches, lost snowmobilers etc. This list "could" be used by Alaska Mountain Rescue,Troopers, BAART, or one of the other organized teams to solicit help. I have done recovery's and rescues with some of you in the past...As you know some times it takes too long getting a group together. If anyone is willing to sign up I will just add their (snowest) name and cell number. Each time someone signs up I will just edit the list....This isn't perfect, so please send me Any suggestions?
If you live in Fairbanks, you won’t get called for one in Anchorage, but you could get called for Cantwell. Make sense? Of course this list will never obligate you to respond and everyone would need to understand that this list can not be used for anything other than emergency responses. Thanks.
Note: the list below is where they live

Anchorage riders:
AKSNOWRIDER: 240-4254, 3 beacons ,5 shovels & probes and 1 ABS pack
akmclean: 382-9089, 3 beacons, 3 shovels
BottomFeeder M7: 947-8772. Probe, beacon, Abs. Fri & Sat
Alaska Snow Safaris: SARS Exp..WFR.. cell 830-4031, 20 sleds in Portage & Anchorage, 24/7,
10 beacons/shovel/probes, ABS 30 packs, GPS's, SAT phones, EAM Packs, toboggans,Backboards
907 RYDR: 269-832-5762 cell, 677-1132, shovels, probes
diablo 907: 306-2995 beacon, probe, shovel
bri74: 632-6322, beacon, shovel, probe and CPR, 2 & 2 schedule
CATKILLER: 306-2386 beacon, probe, shovel
AKM7: 227-2103 beacon, probe, shovel
MYTOYS: PM when needed, Probe, Beacon, Shovel
deere1: 830-1059
revtech1000: 632-2352
rlcofmn: 306-2025, beacon, probe, shovel, climbing gear, back country skis, snowshoes
Crunch!: 351-1281, beacon, probe, shovels, snowshoes, lifetime climbing & snowboarding experience, CPR, First Aid, Heli experience, avy knowledge

Eagle river riders:
Nikolai: 240-8505 beacon & probe.
Ridgerat: 252-5879 2 beacons...2 probes
ak m8: 301-7755 beacon & probe, 4 wheeler
M1ke: Probe, Beacon, shovel, Abs Bag. 1-585-315-7375
JasonAK: 632-8684, Search & Rescue Firefighter Basic, shovel, Beacon, Probe
AkSledHed: 223-2107, Probe, shovel, CPR certified & basic first aid, covered cargo taboggin, 4 wheeler
AKSummit: PM for number: probe, beacon, shovel.
Race: Home 696-7108, Cell 306-3624, beacon, probe, abs air bag & shovel.
akstormin: 242-2847, beacon, probe, shovel, back-country skis, snowshoes.

Fairbanks riders:
Mag: 378-0371, portable radio's/GPS ch10 sub 10, Cb ch 19, 2 beacon's/probes/shovel's
ModedMach1: 750-0628, 4 Beacons 2 probes & shovels
bearqst: 460-9935, probes, beacons, 2 pull behind sleds

Seward/Kenai Peninsula riders:
theultrarider 398-6967, beacon, probe and shovel.
Logpile: 907 398 3676 , beacon, shovel, probe, Climbing experience & rope gear.
907M7: 362-3223, Seward, 2 probes.

Valley riders:
Prayn4snow: 351-8903 2 beacons, 2 probes, shovels, heated enclosed trailer, 4 wheeler.
AkREV151: 232-9963 2 shovels, a beacon, probe and ABS pack.
REV GUY: 841-2799, beacon, probe shovel.
C-bolt: 350-6424. shovel, probe, beacon.
IbBroken: 232-3631, 2 beacons, 1 probe & shovel. CPR & defibrillator trained, Avy experience.
AC162AK: 841-6029, 5 ea beacons/probes/shovels, 3 packs, Avy 2 cert,I.C.S.200 recovery experience.
Dash: send PM, BAART member 4yrs, beacon, probe, shovel. Avy training & can lead probe lines.
AKm700: 242-0715, Talkeetna, probes and shovels.

Valdez riders:
Spooks says call 911. Valdez has a full search & rescue team!

Willow/Petersville riders:
needsnow: 841-9713. Fireman & girlfriend is an LPN. Cabin off 11 mile trail (Safari Lake trail). They monitor channel 5. Rhino GPS's work great for contacting them.
DYLANBRUNS: 354-7019, beacon, shovel, probe. Valley & Willow

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
I am making a standby roster of volunteers willing to respond to things like Avalanches, lost snowmobilers etc. I have done recovery's and rescues with some of you in the past...As you know some times it takes to long getting a group together. If anyone is willing to sign up I will just add their (snowest) name and cell number. Each time someone signs up I will just edit the list....Any suggestions?
How about separate areas, example: if you live in Fairbanks, you won’t get called for one in Anchorage, but you could get called for Cantwell. Make sense? Of course this list will never obligate you to respond and everyone would need to understand that this list can not be used for anything other than emergency responses. Thanks.

Anchorage riders:

Eagle river riders:

Fairbanks riders:

Kenai Peninsula riders:

Seward riders:

Valley riders:
Prayn4snow: 351-8903

Valdez riders:

Willow/Petersville riders:

Robert,

Valdez has a full blown search and rescue system.

We have responded to Eureka and other places. You know if you need us give us a call. Everything is handled here at the Police Dept., and Thrugh Trooper Beck.

We schedule exercises with the civil air patrol. The love to get out and play.:beer;:beer;

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Sign me up Robert. Pennisula wide. Can't always make, but will make every atempt,every time. Good idea. Maybe we can set this up like Spook mentioned in Valdez. The offical channels are great, but there are certianly times when numbers and local knowledge count.
theultrarider.....398-6967

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Don't flame me guys, but no beacon here yet.....I do have a probe and shovel, the beacon is still in the works.

Alright, the guilt worked, I bought 2 beacons this week. Long over due.

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Don't flame me guys, but no beacon here yet.....I do have a probe and shovel, the beacon is still in the works.

What no beacon!! Just a idea. Downn here at h20 heli guides Dean cummings sells some of the guides used gear.

I bought a BCA pack, probe, and shovel for $125.00.

He also sells beacons. The gear is still in greta shape and you save alot of money. :beer;:beer;

THe idea is great but I am just not sure how this is going to work in reality. Please understand that I don't want to sound too negative or undermine your enthusiasm!!!! By no means my input is intended to do so....
I have been member of BAART (BAckcountry Avalanche Awareness & Response Team) for 4 years now. We trained together, took multiple 3 days classes, knew each other and our habits well, rode together a lot and knew others abilities, taught av. classes etc etc...
Within last few years we found out that the State Troopers and Rangers conside us "general public" because we did not have required certifications. THey would not let us go to the burial site, put together a probe line and work when there was an event. Alaska Mountain Rescue (www.amrg.com) are the qualified guys now, they train A LOT, summer and winter, are skilled in glacier rescue techniques and during an event they follow ICS rules (Incident Command System) which should allow as smooth rescue as possible. I think they are also covered by some sort of insurance during the response.
There are many important steps that rescuers need to follow (do not leave anything on the debris pile that belongs to you like jacket, water bottle etc. no body fluids on the snow within the search area etc, you need to make sure there is no more danger from above before you let people in).

On the other hand if anybody is interested in helping, they could probably always use people for long probe lines to carry on the search for hours or days. With this said, I am always willing to help.
Again, I don't mean to turn anybody away from volunteering!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
THe idea is great but I am just not sure how this is going to work in reality. Please understand that I don't want to sound too negative or undermine your enthusiasm!!!! By no means my input is intended to do so....
I have been member of BAART (BAckcountry Avalanche Awareness & Response Team) for 4 years now. We trained together, took multiple 3 days classes, knew each other and our habits well, rode together a lot and knew others abilities, taught av. classes etc etc...
Within last few years we found out that the State Troopers and Rangers conside us "general public" because we did not have required certifications. THey would not let us go to the burial site, put together a probe line and work when there was an event. Alaska Mountain Rescue (www.amrg.com) are the qualified guys now, they train A LOT, summer and winter, are skilled in glacier rescue techniques and during an event they follow ICS rules (Incident Command System) which should allow as smooth rescue as possible. I think they are also covered by some sort of insurance during the response.
There are many important steps that rescuers need to follow (do not leave anything on the debris pile that belongs to you like jacket, water bottle etc. no body fluids on the snow within the search area etc, you need to make sure there is no more danger from above before you let people in).

On the other hand if anybody is interested in helping, they could probably always use people for long probe lines to carry on the search for hours or days. With this said, I am always willing to help.
Again, I don't mean to turn anybody away from volunteering!

I understand your concern. From a law enforcement view there are a lot of people who would show up to just be in the way.

Down here the Valdez Search and Rescue has a standard roster ,equipment, and availiable skills the individual can offer.

For example last spring SAR was called out to go to Eureka for a guy lost overnight. 6 members including myself left. The troopers could not fly due to weather.

By the time we had made it to 45 mile the weather had broke and the helicopter found him.

The group turned back and decided to go play on the pass.

As we were playing we had an avy bury an unknow amount of skiers. The fire Dept. tried to implement thier ICS crap and by the time they decided who would be in charge Myself and a couple guides had found, and notified the SAR group that it was only one person.

Sorry a bit of a rabbit hole.

To the point. If you are in the area respond I would want somebody trying to dig me out ASAP instead of figuring out who wants to be in command. MY and YOUR life depends on seconds. Let them try to throw me under a train later. the fact is time is what you don't have..:beer;:beer;

You are right, Spook! We actually got notified (about that Eureka guy) as well but that was the last time we got called out....
I know that there is no time to go and call for help, the witnesses and bystanders are the help...
What I am most concerned about when there is a group of rescuers who don't know each other, their habits and riding skills, it can turn into a mess withing minutes from the parking lot.... Stuck riders, no head count, somebody doesn't know that they are supposed to look back to make sure that the guy behind him is still behind him... then somebody forgets to turn their beacon on search and walks all over the area.... So practice with beacons, try to get in a probe line and work as a team.....
I am done lecturing..... this is definitely not the place to do so anyway....

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Very valid input Dash, not a lecture. Some people do not realize that they can make a bad situation worse when they are trying to help. It is a fine line that never seems to be black and white. Too many people in this world need black and white to function and can't just do what is "right". Thanks for your input.

S
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez Alaska
Dash you are right.

A head count a quick equipment check must be standard practice.

Let's not foget Communication/radio/Cell/Sat phone..

Somebody Must stay back to be the point of contact and keeper of info.

Most of all if you don't know the area don't go!! without someone who does.

Hero's are dead!!:beer;:beer;

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Dash, good info. I changed how it reads at the top...See what you think now. Many of us have helped these organizations on S&R's and one of the problems they had was getting "Fast help". By the time the Troopers called me last year it was 11:30 at night and I drove for 3 hours to get to Cantwell. We started looking at 3:30 in the morning. If they had a bigger list of volunteers, we would have gotten the call 8 hours earlier and those guys may not of been out there all night. It was -20....

Maybe we should each keep the phone numbers in our personal cell phones for an event of avy... Seems like lots of people ride in the same areas and you never know if the group over the valley are just tourists or possible help. I don't want to put my phone numbers on internet but I can PM it to those interested. It could be added to the list and submited to the Troopers or AMRG, maybe they would use it....

Premium Features