• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 900 AND 2006 900/700.... Read Before you Buy

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

yeh lets see the build..there i alot of guys that did the samething..we can sure help when you need it..Treedog did the same deal and his turned out SICK!!

S
Seems the 900's could have their own sub-category all to themselves,,,,:face-icon-small-win :face-icon-small-win, considering the low functionality of the search engine when searching for numbers and three lettered terms, I feel it would reduce a lot of the repeat questions.

thats funny, i always just thought it was something wrong with my computer or something. im glad to know its not my computer :) So why dont they fix it? How often do snowmobilers search for things with 4 or more characters? Most snowmobiles have names that are 2-3 letters and have engine sizes in the 3 digit range, so searching for something on a specific sled is near pointless. Just think of all the people that post on here about thier D8, try searching for that one! lol

R
Jan 18, 2009
yes thanks to all re this machine,i like mine so far but only have 900m onit.1st belt a 115 still good shape.my boy has same sled,1100m on it starting into wiring probs now.
dealer updated his tank with insert and mine with whole tank?
question to all,remove rad?i have asked around and was told of heating issues if you do this,what gives?also where do i get info on the treebark bumper.
thanks

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Contact treedog here on the forum for the bumper. I've got one and it's almost bulletproof.

Yes, remove the radiator and the T from the front cooler to the tank. Block off the tank and run from the cooler straight to the head.
They run cooler without the radiator as a matter of fact.

Last edited:

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
It's amazing to have so many who are ready to help at a moments notice,thanks everyone and newbies don't be afraid to ask!
I would like too see a sub forum but would spend all my time there..LOL
The 900 club is also excellent info area wish we could combine the two so it would be easier and less time than switching back and forth!
I guess I got a good one. And it's had a few "quirks"

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
I work in a pol shop and believe the Horse to be as reputable as any infact solved a D8 problem with his info.I have seen every failure there is on these and have come to these conclusions. Leave the suitcase intake alone, remove it and if you don't seal perfectly all the belt dust goes right to the rod bearings. why take the front radiator out your not going to win any lite weight contests anyway keep this area sealed from the intake. Also not a fan of torque arms set the one from poo and keep the vibs down. The 15 belt is a must and good clutch bal but don't need to send away just bal the wts. Poo balances clutches and if you reshim just do as the book says. We have several 05's and 06's with slp pipe new belt and geared down 1 tooth that have over 3-4000 miles and are running strong oh yea very important to ad half to one cup oil to a full tank of fuel and let em warm up before riding

O

oregunrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Willamette Valley
I work in a pol shop and believe the Horse to be as reputable as any infact solved a D8 problem with his info.I have seen every failure there is on these and have come to these conclusions. Leave the suitcase intake alone, remove it and if you don't seal perfectly all the belt dust goes right to the rod bearings. why take the front radiator out your not going to win any lite weight contests anyway keep this area sealed from the intake. Also not a fan of torque arms set the one from poo and keep the vibs down. The 15 belt is a must and good clutch bal but don't need to send away just bal the wts. Poo balances clutches and if you reshim just do as the book says. We have several 05's and 06's with slp pipe new belt and geared down 1 tooth that have over 3-4000 miles and are running strong oh yea very important to ad half to one cup oil to a full tank of fuel and let em warm up before riding

Anyone else running premix? never heard of that before on the 9's.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Although, I can admit I may just be lucky, I'll repeat what I've stated in the past. I firmly believe that many (not all) of the crank failures I've read about on 900's are the direct result of a lack of proper clutch maintenance. These sleds make big torque and as a result require some pretty serious weights to get that torque to the ground. Heavy weights (levers) are very hard on lever bushings. My sled is swinging 79 grams and I replace the bushings every 8 - 10 rides. Believe me, there is very noticeable wear after that short of a time. My engine has close to 3000 miles on it and has never been opened up. Crank run-out was still under .0015" two months ago when I checked it. My sled runs very strong every ride and has never had a tow rope attached to the front end (Back end, yes. It's towed a couple Revs out :D:eek:). I have no intensions of selling it, only modding it further. Couldn't be happier with it.
To further press the point of clutch maintenance, I previously rode an '01 800 RMK. The 800's also got an undeserved rep (IMHO) of being crank eaters. I stayed on top of clutch maintenance with that sled also and sold it with over 4,000 miles on it four years ago and it's still running fine. Stay on top of maintenance to the point of being anal and a well-dialed 900 will keep up with or lead the pack for a long time to come.

S
Dec 9, 2008
Maple Valley
www.slednw.com
We have 3 2006 900's all purchased new. I really Love these sleds but would not own one out of warrenty. All three where purchased with the 5 year bumper to bumper.
All 3 have had new cranks and one has seized a piston. We have had the stator issue on all of them and wiring problems. None of the sleds had any issues until we hit the 2500 mile mark. They are all stock with a can and no front radiator. We have always run high temp Belts and changed them before they break. Here is a short video of the 900 in action.

http://www.slednw.com/videos/watch.php?id=71

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
We have 3 2006 900's all purchased new. I really Love these sleds but would not own one out of warrenty. All three where purchased with the 5 year bumper to bumper.
All 3 have had new cranks and one has seized a piston. We have had the stator issue on all of them and wiring problems. None of the sleds had any issues until we hit the 2500 mile mark. They are all stock with a can and no front radiator. We have always run high temp Belts and changed them before they break. Here is a short video of the 900 in action.

http://www.slednw.com/videos/watch.php?id=71

nice video !!

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Well I've decided to take the plunge and continue to mod my 05 900 guys. Hopefully I can Tractor with the best of them eventually

R
Mar 11, 2009
Utah
Love em or hate em

I love mine but I only got to ride it 400 miles before the snow was gone last year. There is a sticky at the top of this forum Read before you buy. It will help you alot. I only paid 2600.00 for mine with 600 miles on it. I have put about 900.00 into it and I have alot still to do. There are alot of great guys on here that can help you out.

Good Luck, Rod

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Hi.

First off, be sure to take some time and read this thread--> http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112723 Also, if you also check out the 'Useful Links" thread at the top of the main page, you will kinda get a good idea for the potential problems and quirks associatted with these sleds.

When set up correctly, these things are tractors... they will pull you up a lot of hills. They can be heavy even with a lot of liteweight goodies, but putting them on a diet is still very beneficial. and not all that hard to do if your mechanically inclined...

Those are just a couple quick things... I'm sure others will comment aswell...:D

H
Nov 11, 2009
hi all, i just registered after doing reseach about the 06 switchback that i am supposed to go purchase tomorrow and found you guys to have some great knowledge on these sleds. i have don the main research and was just looking for anyones in put for plan of purchase. I am going to purchase the sled brand new for $6925 out the door all said and done with tax, regristration and everything. so first i was wondering what your guys thoughts are on the price i am paying for the sled? the recalls have been done on the sled. but i have been reading and doing research on all the updates that need to be done for the sled to run like it should. so my plan is to go in their tomorrow to see if the dealer will do the main updates that are basically a must and see if it can be configured in the price, as i would think that it would be charged under warranty for the dealer anyhow so they would get costs remberced. the updates that i thought were the must were the
motor mounts
clutch alignment
clutch kit
tps setting
new airbox
hot air elimentator
torque arms
maybe the factory oil cable

this is a list that i thought would be a must neverless the other luxary updates would be nice.

any thoughts would be great as well as what suggestions anyone may have for all updates about for the aftermarket part brands would be best for them.

i live in michigan and am purchasing the sled in michigan and will most likely be mostly riding on trail and some offtrail in the u.p. the seld has a 144" track and 1.25" lugs. any advise if this would be an ideal track for trail and some off trail riding.

i also breifly asked the mechanic at the shop where the sled is about some updates and i was told that none of these updates really need to be done and that most of these probelms occur if you are bringing the sled to a different altitude or elevation and i will not run into any of these problems if i keep the sled here in michigan because there is really no elevation change. i thought this was a bunch of b.s. any thoughts on this would be great.

any advise that you guys have would be awesome as i am going tomoorw to finalize the sale.

thanks
progress.gif

Premium Features