• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At last.
The new REP SYSTEM is working!

The Text that displays above the bar WILL vanish in a day or so.
Its just there for now so people have a quick idea what the bars mean.
When the text turns OFF, then your mouse will display the text when you Mouse-Over the bars.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
uh Chris, buddy. Can they remain hidden, except when ya click on the user name? I'm gonna need my shades:eek::cool:
If in the end, everyone wants it that way, YES, that can be done.

For now, at least a week or two, as people adjust from the Old Rep System that what HORRIBLY ABUSED, I want this to be out where all of the members can easily see it.

This system is almost immune from Rep Whore attack.

There are SO MANY different inputs that are used to calculate score, that there is no easy way for them to spoof it.

As time goes by, you will find this ACTUALLY tells you who the valuable contributing members of SnoWest really are!

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
If in the end, everyone wants it that way, YES, that can be done.

....valuable contributing members of SnoWest really are![/B]

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, ok thank you for your rapid response.
As always,
My Best,
LA

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes, it is possible to attack this new system.
BUT...
It will take you massive amounts of TIME to do it.
You will need to raise your TOTAL OVERALL ACTIVITY on the forums ACROSS THE BOARD to push your Experience levels up hard and fast.

Reality is, no one else can help you get there now.
its all up to YOU to do it.

With the old REP system, your buddies could push your score upward, now they can't.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
At last.
The new REP SYSTEM is working!

The Text that displays above the bar WILL vanish in a day or so.
Its just there for now so people have a quick idea what the bars mean.
When the text turns OFF, then your mouse will display the text when you Mouse-Over the bars.

honestly i think it needs to disappear now...

too much stuff by the avatar/name makes it hard to skim through threads.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Firstly, its great to see the Christopher trying out new things here. This forum was so stagnant and way behing the curve for a long time. Its IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone and people always hate change. Keep your head up Christopher, its a tough job..... You will get it all figured out and the forum will be better off for the change.

That being said, a lot of the new changes I like, but this one I don't...... You can add me to the "no thanks" pile on all the stats designed to cater to mindless point making. So many forums have mindless BS threads that peopl ejust post to be "active". SW never did, but I bet we start seeing those soon enough. Good for ad sales when you have a lot of posts, but not so good for people here for snowmobile related chat. I will not be participating in the stupid posts...

One of the nice things about SW in the past was it was pretty simple. The social networking feel will only cater to a small % of the total users here. Most people will not care. Our demographic is not the same as the facebook and myspace crowd.

Good news is those (like me) that are not interested don't have to participate.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
honestly i think it needs to disappear now...
emoji_poop.gif

too much stuff by the avatar/name makes it hard to skim through threads.

Yaw.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Sounds like the ones that are complaining are upset they lost thier post count or thier "max" rep, which to me seems like facebook whoring already, so take a pill folks, its not the end of the world....

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
Why is it necessary to have all this rep analysis, and thread post analysis?
It serves no real purpose. Who the He!! cares?

"Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile
Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages"

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
Great. Another non-snowmachine related distraction for all the post whores to play with. There's already post count, rep points, and thanks. Now this new rating system. I suppose if you are trying to generate "activity" on the forum, you're succeeding. The problem as I see it is that most of the new activity will be about getting higher points, not posting about sledding. Great for selling the site to advertisers (which, I've realized, is the real reason you're here... ), bad for the members that want to talk about their sport.

Using the forums at SnoWest (or anywhere for that matter) shouldn't be a competition. But, I guess it's just another in a series of changes that I disagree with. :face-icon-small-sad

I agree 100%, only time will tell if these extras are accepted by the whole group. There isn't another sled site dedicated to riding out West, but where there is a will there is a way.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As I have said several times now, PLEASE BE PATIENT. There really is a game plan here that we are following, a method to our madness as it were....

You will see them get smaller and smaller as time goes by.

Right now the old rep system just went OFF LINE and the new one just came ON-LINE. This is a HUGE CHANGE for most of the members of this forum.

Give me a week or two so that most of the SnoWest members get a chance to see them and understand them.

Then, step one will be to remove the text, that will reduce their footprint by 50%.

Step Two will be a user toggle that allows each user to choose whether or not to view them on their personal display. At that point you will have full control over them.

copter6

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Since this has obviously caught most everyone's attention, I thought I would take a couple minutes to explain in a bit more detail just how on earth we are computing this new points system that generates the colored bars your now seeing.

The following is how SnoWest evaluates each member and determines their total score. Each of these carries a different value of points, the lowest being 0.5 and the highest being 50 right now.

Points for infractions (negative)
Points for completing profile

Points for reputation
Points for reputation use (giving rep points)

Points for days online
Points for social group members
Points for friends
Points for visitor messages
Points for album pictures
Points for referrals
Points for new threads started
Points for tags
Points for thread votes
Points for replies to own threads
Points for thread views
Points for sticky threads
Points for posts
Points for attachment views
Points for views on other user's attachments
Points for Thanks
Points for downloads
Points for vBulletin Blog
Points for Social Group Discussions
Points for Social Group Messages

But as you can see, the points calculations look at the TOTAL activity of an SnoWest member. You could never post a single thread on SnoWest and still rack up plenty of points by being an active participating member on the site in other ways.

UNDERSTANDING THE BARS.
Underneath the name of the poster are three colored bars.

ORANGE
The orange bar displays your total number of SnoWest points, and the bar shows your relative score as compared to the top poster on the site.

GREEN
The green bar shows your activity level based on participation on SnoWest. Every member can MAX out this bar just by being active in the various categories that award points.

BLUE
The blue bar shows how close you are to being promoted to the next level. There are 100 levels of membership from 0 points, to the highest score recorded on SnoWest. Levels are broken down in equal increments from top to bottom.

These three bars will allow any member to quickly get a snapshot of any other SnoWest member.

Just wondering what happened to the green dots

A

Abominable

Dec 30, 2003
Evel Knievel jump site, ID
snowest.com
As I have said several times now, PLEASE BE PATIENT. There really is a game plan here that we are following, a method to our madness as it were....

You will see them get smaller and smaller as time goes by.

Right now the old rep system just went OFF LINE and the new one just came ON-LINE. This is a HUGE CHANGE for most of the members of this forum.

Give me a week or two so that most of the SnoWest members get a chance to see them and understand them.

Then, step one will be to remove the text, that will reduce their footprint by 50%.

Step Two will be a user toggle that allows each user to choose whether or not to view them on their personal display. At that point you will have full control over them.

Why do you feel like you need to train us to see and understand them for a week or so before allowing us to toggle them? Let those that want to - do it already. Most users are pretty smart and can figure stuff out without the lessons (notice I said most :p )

Premium Features