• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no pictures in wilderness areas with out a permit

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
how many of you have heard about the photographer that was fined a 1000.00 dollars just for taking pictures in a national park ,what will our forest service dream up next :face-icon-small-sho

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I am guessing that there is way more to that story then just taking photos. but then there wouldn't be a controversy. Say trespassing on restricted land and believing they are above the law and generally just being a dumbazz. just a guess though

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I didn't click on bholmate's link, but I believe its regarding commercial work, not the recreational photos that Joe Blow takes.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Scott is correct if commercial work only.....the tourism industry is huge and competitive and and states with scenic beauty are tired of seeing advertisement and photos used from other states to attract tourism....

How many times have photos been taken of the Grand Tetons only to be used in marketing/advertisement for the great state of Tennessee.

DPG

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I am guessing that there is way more to that story then just taking photos. but then there wouldn't be a controversy. Say trespassing on restricted land and believing they are above the law and generally just being a dumbazz. just a guess though

there is a lot more to the story, this has been national news and has been discussed in news papers across the country. a freelance photographer took a picture in a national park and used it in a project. he was apparently cited for this and issued a citation. the forest service has also been reported to have not issued permits and denied access to employee interview's, until the content of the pieces was approved. this is a free speech issue and has been thought to reach much farther than commercial work. think about you using go pro footage in a semi pro type movie and be subject to this rule. Utah has had back door taxes such as the bird watching stamp. it happens and has happened .so think seriously about it folks

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
What is this world coming to??? That is freaking ridiculous. Well these guys aren't getting any revenue from sledders riding in the "Wilderness areas" so they have to come up with a way to make money off people somehow. LOL

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
This has been going on for years already in Montana nothing new. Its funny that the permit is 1500 but the fine is 1000.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I do not call a bird watcher stamp a back door tax. I call it equity. I register my atv and sleds. I buy hunting and fishing licenses. For each, I pay search and rescue fees. Guess I will get eight times better service than the guy who buys one fishing license. For the hunting and fishing licenses, I pay $20 in habitat stamps. I pay for my duck stamp. All of these pay for access, animal support, parking, etc. I think the birders and photographers really should help.

I also think that the newspapers whining about the commercial fee as a first amendment issue affecting only their first amendment interests are wrong. It is a free speech issue for every non commercial user.. But, all of us who make other commercial uses of the Forest are paying fees and are licensed--guides, outfitters, loggers,miners, trial groomers etc. Why not a COMMERCIAL photographer?

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I do nbot call a bird watcher stamp a back door tax. I call it equity. I register my atv and sleds. I buy hunting and fishig licenses. For each, I pay search and rescue fees. Guess I wil get eight times better service than the guy who buys one fishing license. For the hunting and fishing licenses, I pay $20 in habitat stamps. I pay for my duck stamp. Alll of these pay for access, animal supprot, parking, etc. I think the birders and photographerers really should help.

I also think that the newspapers whining about the commercial fee as a fisrt amendment issue affecting only thier first amend ment interests are wrong. It is a free sppeech issue for every non commercial user.. But, all of us who make other commercial uses of the Forest are paying fees and are licenced--guices, outfitters, loggers,miners, trial groomers etc. Why not a COMMERCIAL photographer?

what if they wake up one morning and decide that because you post a photo or video on line that you are now a professional and should be subject to this bs law.

Premium Features