• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo OR Sidekick Turbo (AXYS)

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
If you do get a Silber turbo I recommend if you have any issues, complaints, compliments, whatever to deal with Boston racing and not Silber directly! Just my personal experiences but Boston are the go to guys to talk to! Very helpful!

Liv4snow

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Paterson Wa
I have rode them all my vote is for mtnk. Silber is also a very nice kit. I love my electric start so it makes bd a bit of a hassle.

Last edited:

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
I have rode them all my vote is for mtnk. Silber is also a very nice kit. I love my electric start so it makes be abut of a hassle.

Can you give some detail as to why mtntk and also year/sleds you rode if you don't mind?

Trying to figure this out as well.

Thanks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I would like to hear as well. Do to grumpy shoulders, I am a fan of my electric start also. Boondockers tunnel dump is the bomb compared to stock location but shortens footwell and weeds out electric start.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you want e-start and tunnel dump a little sheet aliminum, fab work, and light weight battery, you can have something real nice. Need help let me know.

IMO..... That MNTEK kit is nice. I think the turbo sizing gives it some limitations past 7-8 lbs though.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Its more than a guess. The flow isn't there, and I have seen it first hand.

I think it's a great turbo, and great kit. If your looking for a 6-8 lb sled.

Uninformed. LMAO. How many different sizes of turbos, brands, and combinations have you run?

Last edited:

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
You are wrong, don't be mad my gf thinks I'm always wrong

My experience is with cars the Borg Warner efr 6258 has faster spool up and flows more vs similar sized including gt2860. That turbo and my first hand experience with it was my reason for first looking at Mtntk.
FYI it's max flow is 44#'s

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
If you want e-start and tunnel dump a little sheet aliminum, fab work, and light weight battery, you can have something real nice. Need help let me know.

IMO..... That MTNTK kit is nice. I think the turbo sizing gives it some limitations past 7-8 lbs though.

Its more than a guess. The flow isn't there, and I have seen it first hand.

I think it's a great turbo, and great kit. If your looking for a 6-8 lb sled.

Uninformed. LMAO. How many different sizes of turbos, brands, and combinations have you run?

I am and a few other guys I know are running 10# of boost with the MTNTK kit...also capable of running race gas up to 14# (I believe) with a different waste gate spring, tune, and clutching. MTNTK sells the kit to do so (for cheap). The earlier kits where limited on boost because of fueling capability's, but that was fixed by replacing the factory injectors with larger ones.

I haven't been around any AXYS with MTNTK turbo's but my pro is insane and I would expect the new chassis with this turbo to be even better. Its a very clean simple install with no major modifications.

Last edited:
S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
Also, the customer service with MTNTK is unbeatable, Shawn will talk to you and tell you everything you want to know about the kit. He is always quick to respond with emails ect. He even helped me out on Christmas last year so I could ride the next day! All by his choice! I haven't dealt with Silber at all but I hear they are also very good to deal with. I have never once had a good phone call with Boondocker...not saying they are bad PR people but all my dealings with them hasn't gotten me far.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
We put my Sidekick on in a day and went out west last week for 3 days of riding... Ive had a couple different turbo'd sleds and ride with numorous other turbo's.... I'm still kinda scratching my head wondering why this sled runs as good as it does. I did nothing but put straight 91 and oil in the sled for 3 days it never skipped a beat. I've rode a lot of turbos and this sled runs cleaner and crisper on bottom then any of them.

This kit is soooo responsive and fast spooling for a turbo and I was riding at 11,000 ft... At 7-8psi it has as much or more top end as my old Pro boondocker turbo at 11 psi with all the bells and whistles. I think this motor at 8,600 rpm really responds well to boost, this kit produces more power then 99% of people can out ride in any type of technical terrain.

Between the EBC, tunnel dump, the stupid simpleness of this kit and the fact you can't screw anything up, along with Boondockers fit and finish and reliability the Sidekick has my vote, I don't know what else you would want really

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
We put my Sidekick on in a day and went out west last week for 3 days of riding... Ive had a couple different turbo'd sleds and ride with numorous other turbo's.... I'm still kinda scratching my head wondering why this sled runs as good as it does. I did nothing but put straight 91 and oil in the sled for 3 days it never skipped a beat. I've rode a lot of turbos and this sled runs cleaner and crisper on bottom then any of them.

This kit is soooo responsive and fast spooling for a turbo and I was riding at 11,000 ft... At 7-8psi it has as much or more top end as my old Pro boondocker turbo at 11 psi with all the bells and whistles. I think this motor at 8,600 rpm really responds well to boost, this kit produces more power then 99% of people can out ride in any type of technical terrain.

Between the EBC, tunnel dump, the stupid simpleness of this kit and the fact you can't screw anything up, along with Boondockers fit and finish and reliability the Sidekick has my vote, I don't know what else you would want really

X2 what he said ^^ !!

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Not that numbers mean anything on the hill and forgive me if this is a stupid question (New to turbos), but what kind of horsepower is one of these kits putting out? I mean, is it anywhere at all comparable to an SLP stage 3? Or is it a complete different ball game. Never rode a turbo before

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Complete different ballgame. Especially at elevation. Not losing all these power you would with stock or stage 3. It is automatically upping boost as you go up in elevation to keep you in their same power range.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The old adage is 1 psi = 10 horse. A "low boost" setup is around 4-6 psi (so 40-60 horse that isn't effected by elevation). So yes, even a lightly boosted setup will crush any SLP stage whatever (which is 15-20 horse best case?)

This isn't to say the motor isn't effected by elevation, it is, but boost is boost and it'll stay constant as you go up.

With respect to the overall question, as I alluded to, the Sidekick auto adjusts to keep net output about the same (raises boost as elevation goes up). Silber does not but Silber allows you to run more net boost (3-4psi more boost overall).

More Silber fun (video - 3K vert climb)... https://www.facebook.com/SilberTurbos/videos/988481357911357/

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Tunnel dump with E-start and lightweight battery. Started at -18 degrees.

Hard to go wrong with turbo kits these days. But sidekick gets my vote. thing just flat rips and never misses a beat and never tempts you do change, tune, mess around with it. Turn key and go.

IMG_5416.JPG

Premium Features