• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 rt 1000

H

hefner

Oct 5, 2008
Rock Springs, WY
Alright I just bought a used 2005 Summit 1000. I read about the negatives here and elsewhere but figured what the hell for a cheap price and only 1000 miles. Did some searching too and didn't find the answer I was looking for anyway.

After letting the motor warm up and when idling, I hit the RER button and it will usually just kill it. Every now and then it will go into reverse, but most of the time it wont. It also won't idle very high. Sounds like it is going to die a lot (also fouled a set of plugs) All I did to it so far was gut the outer airbox. I am planning on going to the dealer and making sure it has the 07 mid altitude tune on it and also installing a thermostat. Just wondering if anybody else has this problem and has some insight on it. Maybe the uprgrade will help with the idle? Can I turn it up without a computer?

I'm a newbie to sleds (rode a powder special 700 for about 3 years living in Laramie, haven't rode for the last 3) and to the SDI but not to two stroke motors with carbs.

M
Oct 26, 2008
An SDI sled that won't idle or go into RER can be indicative of shot rings. Do a compression test and don't be surprised if the figures are low.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
OK, first check the battery. If it's dead it will die when you try to throw it into reverse. You should check the voltage, your looking for at least 12.5V
Mine would die going into reverse when I bought it and it was the battery, remember the batter has to suport the SDI system and run two fuel pumps while the engine is refireing into reverse.

You could also have a bad pump, it could be the old pulse pump that was recalled.

H

hefner

Oct 5, 2008
Rock Springs, WY
Thanks for the replies. I was telling myself it can't be a compression problem (until this post and I found that in the manual) so I've been avoiding that. It pulls hard, but I will get my tester out today and check for sure.

As far as the batteries I am having trouble getting it to take a charge right now but I think it is my charger. It has never really worked right. I'm waiting for a friend to try a different charger first then I'll go the new battery route if I need to. I will have to look into the fuel pump too. I just want to get all my bugs worked out before I get stuck up in the mountains.

H

hefner

Oct 5, 2008
Rock Springs, WY
Well I got my idle turned up, running great now. I figured out the battery problem too. I didn't even notice the fuse right there at the battery and it turns out it was loose and just bouncing in there. That was why it would work one time and then quit working for a while till it bounced around and made the connection again. Thanks for the input guys.

O
Nov 27, 2007
Kamloops
#1 priority: get some type of filter pods on the the throttle bodies! I use the ones from (rangletec)SP? on Dootalk forums and after one year it was spotless in the reeds! Before I rebuilt my motor last year they were filthy even after a couple rides.

Tstat, good battery & filter pods = good to go
:beer;

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Also be careful on the SDI sleds when adjusting the idle with the screw. usually on an SDI if it has an idle problem you have a problem some ware else and the idle screw is only a temp fix. Just a heads up. Better to find out now then mid winter on a blue bird day:D

Premium Features