• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 gone down already??

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
I would ask this question:

Polaris engineers claim to have beat on this engine for 4 years now during and after design and it has proven to be a solid and very reliable design, even though in the youtube video the two polaris talking heads claim that they built an internally lightweight engine that revs quick all while addressing how much more mass they have added compared to previous years, thus contradicting their assessments of this engine?

From a reliability standpoint I could agree that they tested engines that were built and assembled in low numbers with a higher quality controlled environment which would make the survival percentage of this motor extremely high compared to production mass produced units.

ADDIE is arguing that whoever is doing the cylinder finish for the polaris cylinders knows more because they do more volume of cylinders than any other plating/finishing company yet that logic goes right along with the mass produced variances where problems WILL happen. Dan is known for making a more perfected version of the polaris engine platform in a more controlled low volume shop setting thus removing many variables you get from mass production. Im willing to say that Dan has had some of his motors go down, and im willing to bet he will even admit to that publicly on this forum. Even though there are things not in his control such as the person doing the install and the sled its getting installed in.

Ive only done about 8-10 of dans motors through my shop... by no means am I an expert! I have never owned a CFI polaris snowmobile but I have worked on more of them than the average person. Seeing Dans work has made a believer out of me with his quality, craftsmanship, personality, and customer service. When he talks I listen! Is he 100% right 100% of the time... nope! Just like the rest of us on this forum. Has he seen more than anyone over the years on this forum in regards to blown up polaris twin sled engines, correcting the issues, and repairing the engines other than polaris itself??? Id be willing to bet my hard earned money on it!

Keep this thread going its benefiting all who are reading and contributing to it! Kinda reminds me of the old forum days!!!

Last edited:
F
Jan 3, 2018
Another 850 went down yesterday with the PTO rod bearing oil line falling off. You guys who have not checked yours are asking for it.

I definitely do not know the specifics of the oiling system routing, but if what Dan says about the PTO bearing moving is true, could the shift of the bearing be enough to block off the oiling feed chamber and be what is causing the oil lines to blow off?

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Another 850 went down yesterday with the PTO rod bearing oil line falling off. You guys who have not checked yours are asking for it.
Got me thinking about my buddies sled. Went to move it out of my garage the other day and back into trailer. The sled has zero miles on it and has only been warmed up and driven out of trailer. I could not for the life of me start the sled. It also pulled over harder than normal. I looked inside side panel with flash light and noticed some oil looking black stuff in bottom of belly pan. Now you got me thinking is this what is wrong. I just shrugged it off at the time being exhaust valve drainage residue.

2a5f510c8d3801da8f7a0a13a7202d9e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
EDIT

Woh woh what?

federal prison? Dude. Its snowmobiling, not pharmaceutical sales. Even if this is a disaster nobody should go to prison. Do you think you should go to prison when you screwed up in your career? Relegated to janitorial duties?

Sheesh.

YOU ARE 100% CORRET !!

iT WAS LATE LAST NIGHT .......I DELETED IT.

Before you go assemble another turbo like you should be doing..... delete that crap in my qute if you would.

:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana

According to Dan these are blowing off and an early indication of the bearing issue. It's posted earlier in the thread.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I definitely do not know the specifics of the oiling system routing, but if what Dan says about the PTO bearing moving is true, could the shift of the bearing be enough to block off the oiling feed chamber and be what is causing the oil lines to blow off?

Well maybe but my clamp was only 1/2 way over the barb so this is something i can check and correct myself. The crank, not so much.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
ATTENTION TO ALL !!

Breaking CNN news

I was just called by Wkileaks.....

ADDIE - Just so happens to have the same e-mail address as RKT Tech Kelsey. ( 2 stroke heads )

Another llitte tid bit thats a real laugher...

User name - IndyDanSucks ..... also carries the same RKT Tech e-mail address. ( 2 stroke heads )

Hey Kelsey..... I also know the 2 different IP address's your computers are pumping out, and i know where both computers were purchased.

Plus i know the zip codes they are used in.

Listen here Kelsey you piss ant....... If i ever find you out on the mountain somewhere you better keep your helment on and have a lot of friends with you.

kelsey......apparently you didn't know that e-mails and forums, and forum messaging is about the least secure enviornment there is.

I just found out more info about you in the last 24 hours then you can possibly imagine.

1 phone call to a friend of mine over seas to one of most power computer software writers alive today.

And he had you pegged in under 30 minutes.

You want me to list your credit rating and how many loans you have had ?

Tips i have heard............ don't piss into the wind, don't tug on supermans cape & don't mess with the Lone ranger.

I wonder what 2 user names are going to vanish ?

Please liston to me Moderators........... RKT Kelsey should be band for life from here.

and every other forum..... and facebook where he lives now.

This is so much fun.

Dan

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Great post..... And yes sometimes the truth is hard to except.

You know there has been ( a lot of people at Polaris ) up until the day before yesterday that had their chests pushed out and walking tall about the 850

And now they sit quietly at their desk hitting the fresh button on Snowest.

This is the part about Polaris that has always been hard to swallow.

Their never ending arrogance about a new product before the public has even had a real chance at it on production units.

LETS MAKE SURE WE ALL KNOW ONE KEY THING HERE.....

This is NOT an assembly line error........ NO WAY NO HOW ! Not a chance this is a engineering flaw.

And who ever he is..... She..... Them..... All involved in that PTO bearing should have their pay cut down to minimun wage and moved to sweeping floors and cleaning toilets for at least 2 years for all to see ( not moved to a different engineering job )

The two guys in the video should be sent up to the county jail for a few weeks for racketeering.

Dan

Tell us what you really think!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Those who take the high road very seldom lose respect even when they mess up. Those who take the low road rarely get respect even when they succeed.

This can be applied to Polaris, Polaris Engineers or even the posters in this thread.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Breaking CNN news

ADDIE - Just so happens to have the same e-mail address as RKT Tech Kelsey. ( 2 stroke heads )

User name - IndyDanSucks ..... also carries the same RKT Tech e-mail address. ( 2 stroke heads )

Hey Kelsey..... I also know the 2 different IP address's your computers are pumping out, and i know where both computers were purchased.

Listen here Kelsey you piss ant....... If ever find you out on the mountain somewhere you better keep your helment on and have a lot of friends with you.

kelsey......apparently you didn't know that e-mails and forums, and forum messaging is about the least secure enviornment there is.

I just found out more info about you in the last 24 hours then you can possibly imagine.

1 phone call to a friend of mine over seas to one of most power computer software writers alive today.

Tips i have heard............ don't piss into the wind, don't tug on supermans cape & don't mess with the Lone ranger.

Please liston to me Moderators........... RKT Kelsey should be band for life from here.

This is so much fun.

Dan

I fell for his drop in kit , and ended up burning down. He told me to ride smarter! Lol I was suppose to not hold it wide open for long, and occasionally flip the choke on and off when going down a trail. That was back in 2005, I guess I wasn’t the only one that won’t have anything to do with him again.

ADDIE

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2013
Breaking CNN news

Listen here Kelsey you piss ant....... If i ever find you out on the mountain somewhere you better keep your helment on and have a lot of friends with you.

This is so much fun.

Dan

LOL, Once again Dan is wrong. But hey, if he thinks he is right, then others will too.

Threats show character as well. Well done with that too.

Keep on BSing people with facts that are not true.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Breaking CNN news

This is so much fun.

Dan

This, along with 75% of the other posts in this thread have nothing to do with the op. What was the point here?
I respect your knowledge when it comes to motors and truly appreciate your input. I've learned a lot from your posts but this is childish at its best. wtf......

Last edited:

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
This, along with 75% of the other posts in this thread have nothing to do with the op. What was the point here?
I respect your knowledge when it comes to motors and truly appreciate your input. I've learned a lot from your posts but this is childish at its best. wtf......

Not so sure about the childish part. Things always get heated when one calls the other out or rips on another member. I call it entertainment :)

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

So you think its ethical...... to surf all the sled forums not as yourself and non stop slam another business that is in the same business as you ?

Kelsey has made his last several years about noe stop bashing Indy Specialty.

it really doesn't matter much...... his sled business has been tanking.

Anyone is free to do so...... but do not not think its completely unfair to hide behind a false name ?

Dan

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
This is all so bizarre.

Who cares if it is/isn't Kelsey? Does that change a dude trying to offer his $0.02. It is a forum, where ideas are supposed to be talked about freely/openly. Hence the word "forum".

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/Submit
noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Dan, clearly many people speak highly of your work but I don't understand this move on your behalf...

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You act like the Polaris engineering team is a group of prehistoric neanderthals in a cage throwing feces at one and other. They clearly aren't.

Yeah!

That's arctic cat!

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
This is all so bizarre.

Who cares if it is/isn't Kelsey? Does that change a dude trying to offer his $0.02. It is a forum, where ideas are supposed to be talked about freely/openly. Hence the word "forum".

fo·rum
/ˈfôrəm/Submit
noun
a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Dan, clearly many people speak highly of your work but I don't understand this move to your behalf...

Hey - Silber turbo man.......... It makes all the difference in the world.

what gets said ( by who is a big deal ) just as nobody knows who you are unless they dig or read between the lines.

Credibility is a hiuge factor............ADDIE has none because he would not tell anyone who he is or where he works, and what field he is in.

Thats just basic common sense.

Common dude give me a break.

Premium Features