SnoWest Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - Used Sled advice
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:53 AM
Currently: Let it snow !!!
donbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond reputedonbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Well weight is an issue.

I'd get the the "model" than look at years.

Take your pick

Arctic Cat
Polaris
Skidoo

Typically the longer the track provides more float and the shorter track is more maneuverable UNTIL you know how to shift weight and control the throttle.

Id stay away from Yamaha … 4 strokes are heavy.

Polaris just came out with a new sled for 19 with an 850cc engine. So previous years 800 will even less money than before. AXYS chassis is the most recent previous is the Pro.

Skidoo has a GEN 4 chassis introduced in 2017. 17's had a few flaws , 18's are pretty good … 19's are even better. In all years the engine and clutch are suppose to last many miles without a new top end.

Arctic Cat … don't know much so let others chime in.

Skidoo GEN 4 are easy to ride. "its not fair the newer model and really is better than my older model"

Polaris are more technical to ride. "Last to the mountain first ontop"

Arctic Cat ask some one else.

IMHO look at SKIDOO 165" track 3" lug height for deeper snow or an 154" 3"lug for more wheelies and 2.5" less wheelies. I think you could get a 17 sled for 6-8500+ grand US dollars and an 18 for 7-9500+.

I just looked online and viewed a 2014 Polaris Pro chassis 600cc (will last twice as long as an 800 and keep better value) 155 track , 1500 miles for $4000 US. Any brand 600cc sled will last longer than an 800 2 stroke. Should easily last 6000 miles where an 800cc sled will need $1000 in maintenance to get to 6000 plus miles..

At rider 140 lbs weight a 600 will keep up with an 800 - 850 most of the time. About 120HP vs 160VS generally.

Of course having the same rider a newer chassis type will outperform an older model chassis.

Reguardless have the clutch and gears set up for your weight and snow conditions

LET THE BASHING BEGIN

Last edited by donbrown; 09-12-2018 at 01:30 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to donbrown For This Useful Post:
RockyMountainKTM (09-12-2018)