• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sierra Madres

D

drrmk

Feb 7, 2010
Has anyone rode there since the new snow? Going there this coming weekend wondering if the riding is good.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I have Sunday and Monday.... Snow is good but the snow Pack is scary!!

I dug several snow pits and have never seen avalanche conditions this bad!

I wouldnt suggest riding without Beacons probes and avalanche training.

Feel free to Pm me specific questions if you want.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Could we safely assume the same conditions hold true in the Snowies? Did you personally witness any smaller natural slides?

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Could we safely assume the same conditions hold true in the Snowies? Did you personally witness any smaller natural slides?

Sorry no clue, there are plenty of people who have been on the range recently (see snowy range thread) who can provide info on that.

I didn't see any slides, After I dug the pits and used info I've learned in AVI classes. We stayed the hell away from anything that could slide!

I am not trying to scare people away, I just want everyone to understand the dangers.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I just wanted to ad- I am in no way an authority on avalanche conditions, however I have taken classes and been riding these mountains for 10+'years. I can only describe my observations and opinions.

I was on the mountain last Thursday, and it rained alot! This caused a substantial ice layer. This ice layer melted into the snow fairly well but was still present in all of the pits I dug. On Fri, sat, Sun, we received substantial snow- on top of the ice! Conditions were bad before the ice, now they are worse.

There are plenty of places to ride, with minimal/no danger.. However most of the 'fun' places are also the areas most prone to slide.

Please be careful people! Ride smart and go home to your family with good stories!!!

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't want to put you on the spot. Just thought you might of seen both sides of the valley. I have seen all the reports of poor snow pack from SOCO to Washington, but have not seen any "firsthands" of snowies as unstable. Being snow pack there is similar to northern CO I would avoid any of the main slide areas as off limits. I was mainly looking for assurance that peps venturing out should still be prepared. We have a group of 5 heading to the Snowies on Sat and another group of 6 riding ears. I want fuel for those testone packed knuckleheads to keep the safe. I will be pushing for the terrian that doesn't involve a slope over 25 degrees and there is PLENTY of that!

D

drrmk

Feb 7, 2010
We are all carefull riders just never ben to the Seira Madreas before.

E
Dec 1, 2008
Snowies

Rode snowies on Monday. Stayed away from marie and frenchcreek. Rode meadows on the Albany side. Great to ride some pow. I think the snowies may be alittle more stable. Rode other sied two weeks ago, it looked like spring over there. Snowies have stayed colder did not have the crusty snow u pack before new snow. Have a safe trip

dirthd01

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
has anyone been out, was just looking for report on how the snow is. thanks

searchandrescue

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
We were out last week. Came home Monday. Snowed almost every day last week. Thurs. Friday, Sat. and Sunday we rode in 2' of fresh snow. That should set up an make for a better base. We found some rocks that we don't see, or hit, in a normal year. The trees were great. Watch for any new snow and it should be good. IMAG0901.jpg

IMAG0902.jpg

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
thanks for the update. we were out there the first week of Jan and there was no snow on the trees and lots of land mines.

hoping to go again in two weeks.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
We pull into Riverside to eat after a good Madre's ride and were told that we couldn't park where we were parked.
This area is for our "Local customers".

So 12 hungry thirsty guys went in to Saratoga & dropped $250-$300

Been stopping there for years, but we will no longer because we do not want to be an "inconvenience".

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
We pull into Riverside to eat after a good Madre's ride and were told that we couldn't park where we were parked.
This area is for our "Local customers".

So 12 hungry thirsty guys went in to Saratoga & dropped $250-$300

Been stopping there for years, but we will no longer because we do not want to be an "inconvenience".

Wow, those locals must be very good tippers:shocked:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
West of the Mangy Moose

Don't get me wrong, we wouldn't mind moving.
But being told that was for our "Local customers" was a bit of a turn off

Premium Features