SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

SnoWest Snowmobile Forum (https://www.snowest.com/forum/index.php)
-   Yamaha: 4-Stroke (https://www.snowest.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   The future for yamaha (https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446416)

Sheer 01-04-2019 12:15 AM

The future for yamaha

First of all i would like to start by saying i am not trying to start a brand bashing thing here.. just looking for your thoughts for those of you in the know about yamaha better than myself.... Im just starting to wonder whats in store for them next year... They cut back a whole bunch of models, and the only way to set one is to snow check a 2019 because according to them they are gearing up for 2020.. and the market is over populated with sleds..do you think they have an ace in there pocket (dare i say 2 stroke) or if it is going to be more of the same... as it sits rightnow in my eyes if yamaha were a small company they would be inches away from throwing in the towl... i know they are far from a small company but all the things they have done in the past points that way... between not actually building a sled chassies, to all the model cuts, to not building 2019's for in season models... to let the dealers sell the overstocked previous years.. and the poor market share... with the 4 stroke only lineup in my eyes the signs dont look good... and i think its a shame because yamaha makes a good sled... they kindof always have i really hope something happens and i see more people on the yamies.. where im from it seems like 1 in 100 sleds is a yamaha it just sortof seems to me sleds are kindof last on the list for yamaha... and they have payed much more attention to the boats and bikes etc... what are your (probally better informed) ideas?

summ8rmk 01-04-2019 12:23 AM

Go back east, to the flatlands.
You'll see plenty of Yammies.
That's where 80% of the sleds are sold.

[emoji12]

Sheer 01-04-2019 12:30 AM

Ya i was sortof guessing that... havent been real far east before i like the mtn's :-)

WILKEY69 01-04-2019 05:50 AM

https://sledmagazine.com/actions/pag...uest_locale=en

Calvin42 01-04-2019 08:55 AM

I think Yamaha builds amazing trail sleds. If I lived up in the Midwest or East I would definitely have one. I've owned their four-stroke mountain sleds stock and turbo and it's just not fun to ride them. I would love to see them come back with a two stroke mountain sled to be competitive again. Not going to happen. I think Yamaha will always build trail sleds, but think their days are numbered in the mountain market. Just my opinion. Been riding for 45 years. That's just how Yamaha rolls.

2XM3 01-04-2019 09:01 AM

First off I really love Yamaha products, however the mountain sleds, even at 300 hp ( built sidewinder) no thanks, just to damn heavy. Needs to have a 16 x 175" track for SURE and about 100 pounds lighter for our mountain riding use love my yzx1000, R1, pressure washer and generator btw

Sheer 01-04-2019 10:21 AM

I wonder why they refuse to build a 2 stroke... i bet if they built one it would almost overnight be a 180 turn around for them.. and sell like crazy... there is proballly some stubbron big wig in japan refusing to admit his 4 stroke bet wouldent pay off..

Fearnot 01-04-2019 10:47 AM

https://i.imgur.com/dleDGnC.jpg
Maybe the blue Norseman 6000 is a sign of things to come.

RACINSTATION 01-04-2019 10:51 AM

The future is looking better every day for Yamaha.......some big things are coming.

summ8rmk 01-04-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACINSTATION (Post 4187414)
The future is looking better every day for Yamaha.......some big things are coming.

Bigger than the 560lb sleds!?[emoji54]
Is it a groomer?[emoji23][emoji1787]
JK...

[emoji12]

boondocker97 01-04-2019 01:09 PM

My thought is Yamaha made the gamble on 100% 4 strokes thinking emissions would deal a heavier hand on the 2 stroke sleds. The direct and semi-direct injection technology has kept them afloat though. Do they have some outboard injection technology to bring over and revive a 2 stroke engine design?

motojunkie101 01-06-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheer (Post 4187405)
I wonder why they refuse to build a 2 stroke... i bet if they built one it would almost overnight be a 180 turn around for them.. and sell like crazy... there is proballly some stubbron big wig in japan refusing to admit his 4 stroke bet wouldent pay off..

So they have their "NEW" utility sled, the VK540. It has a 540 2 stroke fan engine under the hood and the chassis is straight out of 1986, BUT it is a recent divergence back into the 2 stroke world. Did I mention that it is under $10k, nearly 4 grand less than their other utility sled?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-...y/models/vk540

They have broken out of the 4 stroke only lineup, and I hope this is just the beginning. Bring me a lightweight 800 Mountain max triple!!!

Sheer 01-06-2019 06:53 PM

Yes i saw the workhorse they made.... i was sortof going off the mountian/trail market but i am glad at least they have THAT in a 2 stroke.... funny enough it is the only "true" yamaha sled they make as well... i dont know what to think about that.....

jim 01-07-2019 05:42 PM

I'm guessing they'll come out with a blue arctic cat that has Yamaha stickers.

eou_edu 01-07-2019 06:21 PM

My prediction is yamaha sticks with 4 strokes and goes with an all turbo line. A 1 cylinder 100 hp phazer, 2 cylinder 150 hp viper, and 3 cylinder 200 hp sidewinder all basically the same engine with mostly the same parts, then loose weight in other areas.

ak 01-07-2019 06:57 PM

A blue two stroke alpha-1 would be a nice setup but what clutch’s would be best the team clutches are Yamaha clutches?

Motorbreath_ 01-07-2019 07:14 PM

Quote:

Go ahead and spill the news.. If you don't someone else will. Haha

noob 01-08-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

I've believed that hype for too many years. I've been a yammi loyalist but given up on big things to come. Gone to Doo and a snowbike now. I test rode the sidewinders, and although amazing still a yammi with the weight penalty.

motox54 01-09-2019 08:09 AM

When it comes to dirt bikes I have always been a yamaha guy. The brand has always put forth an amazing product regardless of discipline. When it comes to sleds I have always been a Ski-Doo guy which is also an amazing brand. If Yamaha would come out with something that could be competitive with the G4 850 in the deep snow I would be a full time Yamaha guy in heart beat.

Big10inch 01-09-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motox54 (Post 4188998)
When it comes to dirt bikes I have always been a yamaha guy. The brand has always put forth an amazing product regardless of discipline. When it comes to sleds I have always been a Ski-Doo guy which is also an amazing brand. If Yamaha would come out with something that could be competitive with the G4 850 in the deep snow I would be a full time Yamaha guy in heart beat.

I would suggest Yamaha shoot for something better than the G4. Ski Doo makes the heaviest 2 stroke, widest most ill handling deep snow sled on the market. Start shooting for Axys handling with Yammi reliability and you have something to shoot for.

motox54 01-09-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big10inch (Post 4189019)
I would suggest Yamaha shoot for something better than the G4. Ski Doo makes the heaviest 2 stroke, widest most ill handling deep snow sled on the market. Start shooting for Axys handling with Yammi reliability and you have something to shoot for.

I don't know how you can say its the most Ill handling! The axys, and doo are both awesome in their own respect. After spending a good amount of time on all the the big three, I always seem to keep coming back Doo. But you are correct that they should try and make something better....competition drives innovation.

nytro41 01-09-2019 05:09 PM

yamaha clutches i think.

Sheer 01-12-2019 01:34 AM

What about a yamaha ready built snowbike? That would be the best... or team up with polaris and put a timbersled on a pourpse built turn key and go yz450f? With all the snow additions i think that would sell like crazy too...

Old & slow 01-12-2019 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheer (Post 4189893)
What about a yamaha ready built snowbike? That would be the best... or team up with polaris and put a timbersled on a pourpse built turn key and go yz450f? With all the snow additions i think that would sell like crazy too...

From what i have been hearing AC is testing a mono ski on the Alpha, if that is true. Snowbikes will be a thing of the past. Yamaha has always been more than capable and it should be interesting for the years to come.

Motorbreath_ 01-12-2019 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by motox54 (Post 4189097)
I don't know how you can say its the most Ill handling! The axys, and doo are both awesome in their own respect. After spending a good amount of time on all the the big three, I always seem to keep coming back Doo. But you are correct that they should try and make something better....competition drives innovation.

I agree.. I've driven them all, Doo Gen 4 Summit is my favorite by far.

Imagine if Yamaha came out with something like the Niken, only with a track and two skis.. Lock the front suspension for the trail ride in, then unlock for off trail maneuverability... Then couple that to the Alpha skid. You would have snowbike ease of use, with conventional snowmobile stability.