• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 800rmk wont rev, acts like a rev limiter at around 7000 rpm

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Im posting this for my roomate. His sled is an 09 800 dragon with around 1500 miles on it. Rode it all last year, and had updates done to it, has run solid all the time, other then adjusting the idle up a hair last year, its been 100% rock solid. We took it out to cooke and rode it before t-day, rode ALL day in over the hood snow, worked great, never missed a beat. He took it home and went for another ride and now the thing is acting all crazy.

symptoms.

-if you creep the throttle up, it hits around 6500-7000 and just stops reving, acts like a rev limiter, then the check engine light comes on constantly blinking.

-if you go WOT from idle, it spikes up to just under 8k then dies down to 7k and sounds like its miss/rev limiter. the check engine light stays solid until it idles down.

-it also started idling like crap and barely will run without hitting the gas, idles so low the gauges start to flicker on and off.

I have read a lot on the whole VR failre, etc. but just curious before chasing the thing in circles. He built a tps tester and set it all.. so thats set properly.

C
Feb 8, 2008
Single flash is a tps problem. A steady light could be chassis relay, chassis voltage high or low, ignition voltage curcuit, vdc sensor supply voltage low, or intermitant cps signal.

B

BIGMEATS

Oct 29, 2008
Warman, SK
Try loosen the throttle cable at the handle bars on the throttle cable tension adjuster up by the handle bar pad. Same thing happened to my 09 dragon loosened up the cable and all was well after that. Might not help but easy check to make.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
there doesnt seem to be any amount of flashes, just constant blinking.. I will check later today and see if there is some pattern to it, I know how patterened blinking goes.. and it doesnt seem to be doing it... but I guess there can be a lot of them in a row, so I will double check.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i had the same problems yesterday! ran great all morning and then the idle was **** then about half an hr later it all the sudden it went ape **** and went into limp mode and was a constant flashing with no pattern. we figured the fuel box i had on there was confusing the ecu so we unhooked and it ran ok with no lights. it was running fat tho(plugs black even after a long hard pull) and it wouldnt pull over 7700. frickin stumped us.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
possibly stuck exhaust power valve?

I had a similar problem last year and found a sticking power valve, after removing the exhaust power valve not only did I find it stuck but there were rust stains under the hood since one of the headlight drains directly drip melted snow right down into the center hole for the power valve spring, after using brake or card cleaner on the valve and the boot and reinstalled it everything was fine again, I have since siliconed off that drain hole.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Constant blinking means that it is in what Polaris calls ratchet mode. This means that it is sensing detonation and is in the limp mode. You may have a defective det sensor or something along those lines. Your dealer can connect Digital wrench and read the code for you.

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
okay, I have one for you guys...

same symptoms as ski-dooin it.

always parked inside, so when it goes out it is warmed up to about 100 and runs awesome for a couple miles, then when you have it clamped it will drop off to about 7500, then down to 6800 and sounds like it is bouncing off the rev limiter. it is almost unbearable to ride cuz youre always on and off the throttle and power is not there when you need it.

09 assault
clutches are all gone through and cleaned, new belt
slp pipe setup with egts and power commander - not a fueling issue
thought it was the pipe sensor, it wasnt
just loaded the latest flash into it thinking it could be timing or something and unhooked the powercommander, didnt help a bit
NO FLASHES OR CODES COME UP
tps is set - is there a way to see if the sensor is bad?
not powervalves or solenoid, i just pulled checked and cleaned them
not fuel filter, just replaced

is there a way to check to see if my voltage regulator or ecu is shot?
or coil packs?
I have not pulled plastic apart to hook up fuel gauges yet, i dont think my dealer in town even has a gauge...

Premium Features