• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1100 Question??

Thoughts on a Yamaha engine in a cat

• Not worth it?

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Think it would rock?

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Love the 1100 no need to do that

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Best of both worlds.

Votes: 18 25.4%

• Total voters
C
Jan 18, 2004
Merrill Oregon
We all know Yamaha builds bullet proof engines. Not sure why they suck at building a mtn. chassis but they do reign supreme in the fit and finsh and quality department compaired to the other sled oems.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Why would you. The current 1100 turbo is a great motor. What would you gain with the Yamaha. Everyone I ever rode was a hunk of junk. The 1100 turbo is twice the sled and with all the advancements you have seen from companies like EVO. Why would you want anything else? Just asking.

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Nice spelling...

"question" is not spelled "quistion". I learned that in 2nd grade.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Let's step back and look at this for a second...

Yamaha has done NOTHING, zero, zip, nada to advance it's lineup since when? Maybe when the Phazer or Nytro were introduced? Maybe it's only clear to me, but Yamaha is a huge company and I am guessing they aren't making a bunch of money on their sleds. However, if they could still sell sled motors to a current company why wouldn't they?

Let's see, which company is on their own after this year after a long relationship with Suzuki?? Hmmm....

Do you really think the Z120 / SRX clone was the only thing the companies would be sharing??

Makes sense to me from both sides. I wonder if Cat would get to use the under-seat exhaust?

Wait, didn't YAMAHA buy the rights to the Diamond Drive!?!?!?!?

Something fishy here...

Joe

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Iv had a 2005 Rs Vector, 2006 Apex and riding a m1100t now. Yamaha's fit and finish is very good. Never had any issues with both yamaha's, still have the 2006 apex has 5,000km on it only changed the oil and a couple wear and tear parts. The yamaha chassis don't shine in the mountains tho. If yamaha put some input into cats fit and finish would make an awesome sled better.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The nytro motor is a good, bulletproof motor, but so is the 1100t. Thec1100t motor will be around through the 2014 model year then gone. From what I've been hearing the yammi is the replacement.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
I got it from a inside source that all of the Yamaha motor guys are all working up in Thief River Falls with Arctic Cat and they have teamed up to build sleds and Yamaha will be providing the engines and Cat will handle the chassis. This should be interesting and I eventually the 2 stroke federal emissions will eventually end the use of anything other then a 4 stroke but hopefully not in the near future.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
The 2-stroke is far from dead...

I got it from a inside source that all of the Yamaha motor guys are all working up in Thief River Falls with Arctic Cat and they have teamed up to build sleds and Yamaha will be providing the engines and Cat will handle the chassis. This should be interesting and I eventually the 2 stroke federal emissions will eventually end the use of anything other then a 4 stroke but hopefully not in the near future.

Ever heard of an ETEC????

Joe

Jan 19, 2012
Valdez, AK
Hey Kevin, i ll be calling you soon. sending ecm out to get reflashed this week. time to work on clutching for this beast. Hope your having fun! still no snow to speak of in our neck of the woods. Happy New Year!!!

F
May 22, 2011

Cat engineers have designed the engines and Suzuki did the build as per the specs that came out of TRF. Cat's engine factory is in St. Cloud, not saying you're wrong but have your friends seen Japanese guys drinking at the Rusty Nail?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--What type of Yamaha engine are you taking about? An existing Yamaha sled engine 4s boat anchor or new ones per Cat spec that meets or exceeds performance and reliability parameters of the Suzuki engines?

--I would take a Cat spec engine built by Yamaha, you bet!

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Another question, if Yamaha is going to build engines and Cat is going to build chassis, then does that mean you will be able buy either a Yamaha or a Cat with the only difference being Logo and graphics? IF so, I guess it works so Yamaha guys will be able to keep their blue and white riding gear. --Yamaha and Cat are both companies that seem committed to building snowmobiles so I guess them teaming up is a good thing. May the 2S live forever!!

Last edited:
Premium Features