• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your Gen-4 Skid Plate & Ski preferences ??

S
Sep 2, 2008
Hood River, OR
I'll be getting my new Gen-4 Summit 600R here soon!, and was curious of what you have found to be more appropriate for the new platform:

Do you find the Extreme Skid good enough?
or is the Full Body Skid? worth the extra money in what looks like more protection & reduced drag (hopefully w/out filling up w heavy NW snow)

Also, have you found the stock Pilot DS3 skis to now be good enough?
or should I definitely swap my Mohawk skis over from my past XM?

Thanks for your input!

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
RPM composites skid plate gives you the most protection as it covers the chain case and brake caliper but it is the most pricey, fits like a glove so no extra snow.
I have never changed skis and find the stock skis work fine. Jmo

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
RPM composites skid plate gives you the most protection as it covers the chain case and brake caliper but it is the most pricey, fits like a glove so no extra snow.
I have never changed skis and find the stock skis work fine. Jmo

I second the RPM invincible shield. I've heard mohawks are great on the G4 but don't have any seat time with them.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I did the skinz rear skids they are 2 individual units that cover each side a d both chain case and break then I used the z broz brace kit that comes with a aluminum skid from nose to cooler . then there bumper comes with a plastic skid in same shape and bumper attached to alloy skid through the plastic one .
have not had on snow but looks solid enough

B
Feb 5, 2018
I get my RPM Composites skid plate in the next week or so. He is just finalizing the mold since there was a slight change for the 2019s underneath. Pretty excited to get it!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
8" slydogs are my favourite pow ski its like adding power steering.

They add enough float to avoid the submarining where you are looking for landmines and flex well to avoid damage when you do hit anything.
All around the best well rounded balanced setup for me.

Not happy with any of the BRP skid plates look aftermarket there.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Check out the price of a chain case,brake caliper or cooler; sledding is all about money!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Float plate does what it says. Floats the sled. Wide plates affect the handling a lot. The best skid is the skinny Doo one. It covers the important parts. But doesn't screw with the steering. My opinion.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I hear you but one thing is that i hit the chain case side hard last spring folded the sheet metal right up to the chain case but luckily it did not crack it.

A bit of extra protection would be helpful there.

Premium Features