• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Issues with 163 3" Track on drivers ????

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Ok asking if anyone has had ANY issues with the 2018/2018 163 3" track axys being "out of time" with the drivers, sled totally stock under warranty and when you rotate the track by hand, the drivers will bind up and the track "lug" will actually walk over the driver, causing horrible vibration ect ect...ie they are way out of time with the track every so often in the rotation cycle, its driving us and local dealer crazy, anyone else ever see this, drivers and track all correct part numbers too ???:bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I would like to say "yay" or "nay", but the stock drivers always get tossed in the garbage on my sleds to make space for Avid drivers.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Agreed but brand new sled, like 100 miles on it, so far no answers from Polaris, this really is a weird one for sure

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
100 miles on it, so far no answers from Polaris, this really is a weird one for sure

Is the binding just one driver or both drivers do it?

Do the actual drive portion of the drivers line up to each other, PTO driver inline with the MAG driver all the way around?

Has the tunnel/bulk head been check to see it either are out of wack?

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Yup all drivers line up perfectly, exact same spacing as my 174 3", no noticeable damage anywhere, it repeats about every 34 inches in the rotation, the nubs and the holes all line up good and we so far have not seen anything out of spec. Now the strange part is the 34" spacing changes as it rotates, ie its not just the few set spots on the track, its like gears that have incorrect backlash when only some areas of both gears line up exactly every so often as they rotate if that makes sense ? We are still checking it uhg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I'd say it's time for the dealer to try another drive shaft and see what that does. Obviously there's something not right, time for the process of elimination. Have they checked the drive shaft for being square in the tunnel/bulk head, i.e not slightly crooked due to the MAG side casting or the hole on the PTO side not made or cut out correctly.

I'm just throwing things out that could be a possible cause.

Last edited:

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
Is this only happening when the track is turned by hand or can you see it/ feel it when the drivers are actually driving the track. If this is only hapening when turned by hand could the non loaded suspension be changing the angle of approach to the drivers allowing them not to seat as intended. When the engine applies rotational pressure to the driver could it be seating the driver into the track not allowing it to climb out when the engine is turning the track?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
You can really feel it bad when running, its amazing that the lug will actually "walk" over the driver... on a stand you cant turn it by hand past that point, two guys really pulling on it for all there worth can get past it. under power it will roll over on the stand with amazing vibrations..lol We all have been sledding since the stone age and have never seen one like this, its quite amazing really that we can't see anything causing it:censored::censored:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
There seems to be something going on here. Too many reports about tracks ratcheting under correct track tension, track windows damaged.

There might be a dimensional issue with the driver matching the track or vice versa. On top of a design that gets iced up and causes ratcheting with proper tension. M

I know you may only have 100 miles on the sled and shouldn't have to deal with this but I doubt Polaris is going to recognize or even try to address this problem. I would call Robbie at Avid and go with the Powerclaw drivers and ice age anti stab.

TRS posted this thread a few months back.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445881&highlight=drivers

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
There seems to be something going on here. Too many reports about tracks ratcheting under correct track tension, track windows damaged.

There might be a dimensional issue with the driver matching the track or vice versa. On top of a design that gets iced up and causes ratcheting with proper tension. M

I know you may only have 100 miles on the sled and shouldn't have to deal with this but I doubt Polaris is going to recognize or even try to address this problem. I would call Robbie at Avid and go with the Powerclaw drivers and ice age anti stab.

TRS posted this thread a few months back.

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445881&highlight=drivers

thats what I told the owner, just buy avids and the hell with it:eyebrows:

JUDGED

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2015
www.judgedgear.com
Few years ago, we found this with a track. Dealer the person bought the track from said we where wrong. We took a video and sent it to the manufacturer. We got a refund and they stopped selling the tracks.

Take the track off and the drivers off. You can roll the drivers on the track and you will see it skip. You can also measure 20 windows at a time and show the error in the track.

Multiple very high level pro riders had this track and said they had no issues.

The manufacturer checked the mold and found it was off. Pretty big mess up.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well, after more looking and measuring we have pretty much figured out, stock drivers are basically junk:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-sho as far as their spacing/timing go, (tracks no prize either) it's a crap shoot :juggle::juggle:as if you have a good pair or not, and even the best ones we found in no way drive on all the lugs and teeth at the same time, so going to go to avid ones, just another thing for guys to look at if you have ratcheting issues, vibrations, track or sprocket wear and other issues....sad to see this on a brand new sled,:face-icon-small-sad:face-icon-small-sad and dealer will only replace with polaris drivers, so a crap shoot again....oh well.... i'll update when its all back together and ridden more. :bowl::bowl::face-icon-small-ton

https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445881&highlight=drivers looks just like this except worse, so bad the lug will ride OVER the nubbin when turned far enough

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
While Avids are ok, I suggest having a look at powderfreaks drivers. Well made, precise, attention to detail is what I have found.
Local BC, Canadian company.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
are the stock drivers not molded and not machined? This would indicate that all stockers would be the same unless they have several molds that are not equal.

With the inconsistencies, it would seem there's a dimensional issue with the "some," not all of the molds/tooling for these drivers.

Repeatability in a manufacturing environment can be difficult

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
well Ordered the avid drivers for it, Polaris agreed to send another track, so that part is at least a good thing.... he should have it going by the weekend so we will see.. current track first as our snow amazing right now, then swap to the new track.....we shall see:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features