• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone Running 8" Slydog Skis on G4?

julians

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2010
Park City Ut
I snagged a rock at the end of last year and tore one of my stock skis. I'm either going to get another stock one or go aftermarket. Anyone running the 8" slydogs?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes. They don't steer well. I went to Slp powder pros and couldn't be happier. Michelle at Cannon motorsports will hook you up for a good price.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Yes. They don't steer well. I went to Slp powder pros and couldn't be happier. Michelle at Cannon motorsports will hook you up for a good price.

I hear good things about the SLP Mohawk. Any experience Kane?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Slydogs are cool if you want super heavy stiff steering. WAYY to oaggressive of a keel for mountain riding.

Polaris grippers. Cheap and insane improvement in handling over the stock ones. Way less steering effort and the front end doesnt dive around as much. You need the whole ski/rubber/bolt assembly off the polaris. Otherwise they just bolt right up and your off enjoying WAY better performance.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I hear good things about the SLP Mohawk. Any experience Kane?
I didn't try the Mohawks. I should add that my riding is all 96% mountain and 4% trail so I don't have much feedback on trail manners.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Have tried both grippers and mohawks. Its not even close. Mohawks all day long.

Remember, the 850 carries a LOT more weight up front than the Axys. If the weight were closer to the same, I'd say go Grippers as that shape is awesome (and still better than stock). But the weight distribution isn't even close to apples to apples , hence a slightly wider ski with less aggressive keel helps the sled ride a lot better.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Have tried both grippers and mohawks. Its not even close. Mohawks all day long.

Remember, the 850 carries a LOT more weight up front than the Axys. If the weight were closer to the same, I'd say go Grippers as that shape is awesome (and still better than stock). But the weight distribution isn't even close to apples to apples , hence a slightly wider ski with less aggressive keel helps the sled ride a lot better.

Thanks JJ. I had some SLP skis on my old Yamaha Mtn Viper back in the day and really liked them. I can't remember the model but they have 2x carbide on the outer ski edges and made the deep and trails so much better. I may have to try these mohawks! Anyone have a line on the best place to work with to get a set (no I haven't asked my dealer)?

EDIT: Looking on the SLP page and I don't see '18 listed when picking saddles. This is my first doo so I assume they are identical to one of the other selections (bottom one is my guess)?

All F-2000 Chassis, Black
1998-2000 CK3 Chassis
1995-01 S-2000 Chassis
1999 & Newer ZX Chassis
2001-03 CK3 Chassis
2003-07 REV Chassis
2008-16 XP Chassis
2013-16 XM & XS Chassis

Last edited:

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
I have an XP and we ride 98% tree and mountains with deep sugar powder. The XP is very heavy on the front and loves to nose dive at the most unexpected times. I have put grippers on and they were better but I now have the 8" slydogs and I really like them Made a world of difference in the XP platform.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I had them on my viper 4 stroke.. completely different I understand.. I was going to try them on my summit, but didn't get a chance. main reason i didnt make time to try them is because i hated them so much. they fought a side hill and were brutal to steer. I liked the grippers much more... so i took the grippers off the viper and put the slydogs back on to sell the sled. I really dont think its necessary to have 8 inch skis on the new summit.

S
Oct 6, 2009
I had them on my viper 4 stroke.. completely different I understand.. I was going to try them on my summit, but didn't get a chance. main reason i didnt make time to try them is because i hated them so much. they fought a side hill and were brutal to steer. I liked the grippers much more... so i took the grippers off the viper and put the slydogs back on to sell the sled. I really dont think its necessary to have 8 inch skis on the new summit.

I have had both the 7” and 8” on an XP. I really liked the 7’s but hated the 8’s. They had a tendency to grab ruts under soft snow and put the sled on its side. We had a buddy roll his sled twice in 5 min on the trail with 8’s. I sold mine real quick and went to grippers.

Premium Features