• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Freeride 38 vs 36

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Hey guys,

I'm looking for opinions on the 38" ski stance Freeride for maneuverability/holding a side hill.

I'm considering selling my SKS and buying a Freeride from a dealer that ordered one in to sell on the floor.

I'd like to have more stability and better shocks/suspension for jumping and pounding the trail every now and then... but I still want to have something that can hold a decent line.

I couldn't find any test rides in our area.. I probably would have ordered something if I could ride it first.. but if you did get a chance to ride a Freeride I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Hey guys,

I'm looking for opinions on the 38" ski stance Freeride for maneuverability/holding a side hill.

I'm considering selling my SKS and buying a Freeride from a dealer that ordered one in to sell on the floor.

I'd like to have more stability and better shocks/suspension for jumping and pounding the trail every now and then... but I still want to have something that can hold a decent line.

I couldn't find any test rides in our area.. I probably would have ordered something if I could ride it first.. but if you did get a chance to ride a Freeride I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks.

If that is what your use to 38 or wider the 38 front end is awesome. However once you ride 36 inch then you won't go back. The guys who say the machines of today are to tippy, well they just have not adjusted to them, when the xm came out with the 36 front end that was the draw back to hoping on a freeride in the xm chassis, was that once you rode the 36, going back was hard to edge it up. Once you rode it for a bit though it works the same, as we all rode wider front ends previously. Personally though most people complaining that the machine is too tippy or unstable, are just over riding the machine, putting too much input into it. I personally would never go back to 38 front end. I would be an easy change to adjust from a 38-40 front end on a 2018 freeride to a 36-38, just change the a-arms. One thing to note also is that many guys are saying t-motion sucks, the issue is for 90% of the riders it is better and easier to ride, however for those looking to get less washout and hold a stronger line keeping t-motion and losing the flex edge track is the bigger difference, however that is way more expensive than just locking out the t-motion. All these things are a matter of balance and getting use to them, it is why guys who have ridden for a long time mess with stuff and sometimes they make it better and sometimes it is just better for them, however just because a few guys say it is better does not mean it is better for the great amount of riders. It is why stock sleds are that way, to make them best for the majority of riders. Hope that helps. I had a 2018 freeride for a while so if you have any other questions, hit me up here or a pm. cheers dave

X
Jul 16, 2014
My last two sleds were freeride's and I will never ever have again a 38" front end, never
for trail riding maybe but otherwise no
Do you a favor and get the 36

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Compromise.

I use spacers and center my skis - so they are 37 wide. Plenty good for off trail and ok for on trail.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
If that is what your use to 38 or wider the 38 front end is awesome. However once you ride 36 inch then you won't go back. The guys who say the machines of today are to tippy, well they just have not adjusted to them, when the xm came out with the 36 front end that was the draw back to hoping on a freeride in the xm chassis, was that once you rode the 36, going back was hard to edge it up. Once you rode it for a bit though it works the same, as we all rode wider front ends previously. Personally though most people complaining that the machine is too tippy or unstable, are just over riding the machine, putting too much input into it. I personally would never go back to 38 front end. I would be an easy change to adjust from a 38-40 front end on a 2018 freeride to a 36-38, just change the a-arms. One thing to note also is that many guys are saying t-motion sucks, the issue is for 90% of the riders it is better and easier to ride, however for those looking to get less washout and hold a stronger line keeping t-motion and losing the flex edge track is the bigger difference, however that is way more expensive than just locking out the t-motion. All these things are a matter of balance and getting use to them, it is why guys who have ridden for a long time mess with stuff and sometimes they make it better and sometimes it is just better for them, however just because a few guys say it is better does not mean it is better for the great amount of riders. It is why stock sleds are that way, to make them best for the majority of riders. Hope that helps. I had a 2018 freeride for a while so if you have any other questions, hit me up here or a pm. cheers dave

Thanks Dave for the write up, and everyone else too!

I've found my needs in a snowmobile have changed over the last few years.

I agree completely with you guys who are still doing the 80% off trail thing and just use the trails for commuting back and forth to the play spots that 36 is the answer... But ost of the time I am riding trails now with my kids and my wife. I'm sure later on when my girls get older I'll bring them into the back country far far away from any trail.. but for now I'm doing maybe 4-5 rides off trail in the trees a year. So I'm more of a 75 trail - 25 off trail rider now. I just need the length for when I do go off trail. Around here anything less than 153 off trail is wayy too much work to get around.

So the moral of the story is that I need something good for pounding on trails (I like to drive faster and harder than I should..) but for those couple rides off trail with the boys I still need something that is easy to play with in the trees. Hence my interest in the Freeride 154.

I sold my SKS the other day.. I don't think I'll miss it much.. For now I'll ride my Viper Turbo until I can get a ride on a new Freeride to really make up my mind.

Thanks for the help guys.

BTW! I should have mentioned this.. I had a 2012 146 Freeride for a few years.. Loved it, but sold it for a more "mountain friendly" type sled.. I've gone full circle I think.. lol My poor wife.. haha. I'm not sure how much more she can take.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Thanks Dave for the write up, and everyone else too!

I've found my needs in a snowmobile have changed over the last few years.

I agree completely with you guys who are still doing the 80% off trail thing and just use the trails for commuting back and forth to the play spots.

Most of the time I am riding trails now with my kids and my wife. I'm sure later on when my girls get older I'll bring them into the back country far far away from any trail.. but for now I'm doing maybe 4-5 rides off trail in the trees a year. So I'm more of a 75 trail - 25 off trail rider now. I just need the length for when I do go off trail. Around here anything less than 153 off trail is wayy too much work to get around.

So the moral of the story is that I need something good for pounding on trails (I like to drive faster and harder than I should..) but for those couple rides off trail with the boys I still need something that is easy to play with in the trees. Hence my interest in the Freeride 154.

I sold my SKS the other day.. I don't think I'll miss it much.. For now I'll ride my Viper Turbo until I can get a ride on a new Freeride to really make up my mind.

Thanks for the help guys.

BTW! I should have mentioned this.. I had a 2012 146 Freeride for a few years.. Loved it, but sold it for a more "mountain friendly" type sled.. I've gone full circle I think.. lol My poor wife.. haha. I'm not sure how much more she can take.

The G4 154/38 is 100% more mountain sled than the XP FR, there is NO comparrison there...

The GF 154/36 is a horrible "trail sled" so the 38 front would help for the "all around" feel-BJ

Premium Features