• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Pants/Bibs for Mountain Riding?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a pair of Klim Freeride pants I have used for years and they still function fine but, I had to iron on some patches because of some small tears and they are peeling off. I ended up adding the patches because I sent them to Klim and they said they couldn't repair them.

So, I am looking to most likely replace the pants but Klim doesn't appear to make them any longer. I looked at their bibs and they might be OK if they aren't insulated but I think I'd still prefer snow pants (not sure)? I am not painted into buying Klim either. Heck, I was was even looking at the Gortex snow pants the skiers use on Ebay but, then I realized I have no idea what pair would work best for our application.

What pants/bottoms/bibs do you prefer for the deep stuff in the mountains and why?

If anyone happens to be selling a pair, I would need a men's medium, medium tall or maybe even a large would work.

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I love the Togwotee bib from klim. It's non insulated and I love when it's deep I don't have to worry about snow getting down my pants. I liked the free ride pants but felt like snow was always getting up my coat. I typically do the togwotee with a pullover. Very comfortable bib for aggressive riding!

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
The motorfist freeride are nice and can zip off the bib section to make pants. I hate bibs as it seems when I go from standing to sitting the straps are either to tight or falling of my shoulders, could never get used to it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! I am frankly torn by the pants vs bibs dilemma.

On one hand I like the pant because the temperature of my upper body can be regulated more easily because there is no additional layer of clothing added above my waist.

Also, I don't recall ever getting snow up under my coat with the Freeride pants on. I may have but, I just don't remember it as being an issue.

However, there are times that my pants seem to want to slide down and I could see the value of a set of suspenders with pants.

On the flip side: In the event of a wipe out, super deep snow or doing a header. It would be nice to have a little taller pant that would protect your upper body from getting full of snow.

Does Klim even make a non insulated reinforced pant like the Freeride any longer?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would vote bibs over pants all day long as well, even though I have never worn pants riding, LOL. I see snow down the crack/up the back and pants falling down being an issue though.

I like the Togwotee bibs, even though I managed to get tears less than 10 miles into my first ride... F-N poo boards, they wreck EVERYTHING. I also have some MT storm bibs that I managed to get at Haydays for $100 a couple years back, should have bought all of them. The storms seem to work just as well as the Togwotee, and are cheaper, just slightly less durable, but I everything I buy gets torn anyway.

Still have no reason to buy anything but Klim when it comes to bibs, coat, and boots. I am ALWAYS dry. Seems like a lot of people have been complaining about Klim warranty lately, but these people are seriously expecting them to fix or replace their torn up gear for nothing. Not gonna happen, no matter whos gear you buy. If there is a manufacturing defect or ripped seam in something Klim WILL replace or fix it no questions asked, what more do guys want? I don't get it.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Following this thread closely, I ended up buying a set of new-old stock Freeride pants last year to tide me over. My concerns are exactly the same as yours!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the input folks. I really appreciate it!

goridedoo, I wasn't trying to get Klim to repair my pants under warranty, I was offering to pay for the repairs since they were my fault. I believe they just thought the damage was more than they felt they could stand behind moving forward.

To be clear, I don't have any issue with them deciding not to repair them at all.

I just need some new bottoms and I am asking for people's input.

It's really that simple.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks for the input folks. I really appreciate it!

goridedoo, I wasn't trying to get Klim to repair my pants under warranty, I was offering to pay for the repairs since they were my fault. I believe they just thought the damage was more than they felt they could stand behind moving forward.

To be clear, I don't have any issue with them deciding not to repair them at all.

I just need some new bottoms and I am asking for people's input.

It's really that simple.

Oh that wasnt directed towards your comments at all, I just see more and more people on Facebook and in the general section here complaining about the warranty and customer service. Everyone just wants new gear for nothing, and talk chit about Klim when they don't give it to them. Its not their fault you drug your knee across the running board or caught it on the loose screw in your trailer. Drives me nuts, I just needed to rant about it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Actually FreeRide MT, they look about perfect. That is, as long as they aren't insulated. It doesn't say they are but, it doesn't say they are just a shell either. Yet, based on the pictures, I would guess they are just a shell. Here's what it says:

Born in the backcountry and raised on the racetrack, the Powerhawk from KLIM® is the easiest choice for aggressive riders wanting a durable, lightweight and highly dependable gear set. From mountain rides to gate drops, Powerhawk keeps it fast and simple.

Huh, I think I might be happy with them. I like the fact that bib area is on the back too.

Hum.......I guess this is why I asked. Good info Freeride MT!

Thank you

EDIT: I guess I missed the video the first time. Very cool!

Keep the great ideas coming!

Last edited:

Meadow Muffin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2012
SE Iowa
I like the Klim Havoc bib, I bought them for riding the snowbike and now they are my go pair of bibs. They are tougher than any other bib I have tried and I think will outlast my other Klim bibs twice over. They were spendy but I am impressed. My boards on my sled at several pairs of bibs but these don't even get a snag, I like the knee pads also. Hope this helps.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Meadow Muffin!

In fact, the reason I am replacing my Freeride pants is because I rode snowbikes for two seasons and the damned pipes on snowbikes are magnets for your expensive Klim gear.

I found myself stuck to my pipe several times when a buddy would pull up close too my bike. Oh well, that's why I have the iron on waterproof patches on my pants (to cover the burn holes) and I see Klim has designed the bibs you mention with leather over the area normal bibs tend to melt. I must not have been the only one melting their pants.

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out again. I may end up on a snowbike again in the not too distant future?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
The new Powerhawk pant/bib seems kind of like an improvement to the Havoc as far as fit goes .

Personally I won't be purchasing any more of their current sled pants/bibs because they do not offer the support and comfort their bike gear offers in the riding postion .Only down fall is that a good gripper seat shreds the water proofing in the seat area .

For as pliable as leather has become I would think they would have that in the seat of the pants , hint hint

A
May 31, 2013
FXR pants

I have FXR pant (not sure on the model) that have suspenders that can be removed. The suspenders come up your back a little like a bib to help keep the snow out. You can get them as a shell or insulated. I have had them for 2 seasons and I like them a lot. I also have motorfist bibs, great quality but they were insulated and way to warm. I also tried to wear my Columbia ski pants before but I thought the crotch was to low and hoping over from one side to the other felt hindered.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys! Great input!

Yes, the Powerhawk does look good. Good enough that I even tried to order a pair from the link above but, I failed. It sounds like maybe you have to pre-order somehow? I tried to pay for them on the link and got nowhere.

Maybe I did something wrong?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks Meadow Muffin!

In fact, the reason I am replacing my Freeride pants is because I rode snowbikes for two seasons and the damned pipes on snowbikes are magnets for your expensive Klim gear.

I found myself stuck to my pipe several times when a buddy would pull up close too my bike. Oh well, that's why I have the iron on waterproof patches on my pants (to cover the burn holes) and I see Klim has designed the bibs you mention with leather over the area normal bibs tend to melt. I must not have been the only one melting their pants.

Thanks for the tip. I will check them out again. I may end up on a snowbike again in the not too distant future?
Maybe you need a set of what this guy rides with. It should solve your burning a hole problem. :face-icon-small-con
All BS aside. Bibs are good for trail riding, but pants are better for mountain riding. At least that is my experience. :face-icon-small-hap
picture.php

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I run the Klim Stealth bibs, they're awesome. The fabric is stretchy, and it seems to be a little tighter fitting. Best bibs i've had.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good one Pro-8250! :)

Klim Stealth bibs....are they a non current model? Huh....I will have to do a search and check them out!

Thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features